Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:24 AM

1,261 posts, read 568,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Lovely Christian children telling others they are going to hell because they don’t attend bible class.

There are more than 40,000 brands of Christianity in the US, some of which have very different belief systems.

Glad to hear the state put an end to bible classes in public schools.

Given the classes were taught by volunteers, no reason they can’t continue after school, on church properties.
Irrelevant how many different sects there are; One Jesus/God, One Bible. You need to stop repeating yourself everytime about this 40,000 different sects.

Yes, your glad now that children won’t learn about showing love and compassion.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:26 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
As a Christian, I do believe that they should stop bible classes in Public school. I think modern day bible study belongs to Religious school and or small groups.

This said, I also believe bible study benefits everybody, even for people who are not religious. Religious knowledge—knowledge about religions and religious cultures—is a powerful resource to use throughout the rest of your life. Let’s face it: religion is one of the most powerful social and cultural forces in human history. It has wreaked havoc and devastating carnage through time and around the world. It has also been a source of profound comfort and good in the world. Religion is everywhere and always integral to human cultures. And learning about religions and religious cultures will contribute to the moral, intellectual, emotional, and yes even spiritual self-knowledge of students in this most critical time of development.

I am NOT offended by this woman even though she sued the school because she said she was not against religion, she just believes religion should not be taught in Public school. Nothing wrong with it. Kids should not be bullied.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:27 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Look at the results in society by catering to these atheists haters. 60% divorce rate. Single parents and high crime. It’s time they shut the hell up and let the adults take back over.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:28 AM

1,261 posts, read 568,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
As a Christian, I do believe that they should stop bible classes in Public school. I think modern day bible study belongs to Religious school and or small groups.

I am NOT outraged by this woman even though she sued the school because she said she was not against religion, she just believes religion should not be taught in Public school. Nothing wrong with it. Kids should not be bullied.
Constitution does not only apply to minorities. Why should the majority have to suffer for few individuals? They should move to communist China where they practice official state atheism.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Teaching love, peace and forgiveness and morality is all the sudden being a hypocrite.
No wonder this country is in decline
That's not what religious fundies are teaching tho.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Look at the results in society by catering to these atheists haters. 60% divorce rate. Single parents and high crime. It’s time they shut the hell up and let the adults take back over.
LOL! Because right wing religious charlatons don't get divorced or cheat on their wives? Or have children out of wedlock?

YOU are living in a fantasy world my friend.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:34 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Constitution does not only apply to minorities. Why should the majority have to suffer for few individuals? They should move to communist China where they practice official state atheism.
How are they suffering if they move the bible classes to a church or a private location?

Freedom of religion applies to everyone and the public schools cannot be endorsing Christianity. Would you like our Hindu population to have a study of the Vedas in the public schools? Or our Muslim population to have a study of the Quran in our public schools?

Old 12-23-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I understand the point you are making, but things have changed. My little nephews and my Godson go to private school, this is our choice.

There's nothing wrong with a religious class in public school, with a few exceptions. First- government should not require the religious class to exist so as to respect the first Amendment; the school board/school has to decide on its own to add a religious class to their school. Second- students should not be required to to attend the religious class. It must be offered as an elective. If these two requirements are met, I see no problem with implementing a Bible class.

This said, however, It will be nice if Bible class should be a part of public education since it would give more understanding to history and literature. "Did you know that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife?" this was one of few questions given to the american public. Now i would like to think that the american public is not that ignorant and although I personally take these statements satirically, i can make an argument that claims the american public is ignorant. The western culture IS Christianity and you or anyone cannot deny that. And to not educate the book that inspired a whole civilization is a pity to be not taught.

Just my opinion though, however, this is a tax payers funded public school. If their children are not offered this kind of knowledge, if their parents say no to religion and bible study, they should have the right to say no.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How are they suffering if they move the bible classes to a church or a private location?

Freedom of religion applies to everyone and the public schools cannot be endorsing Christianity. Would you like our Hindu population to have a study of the Vedas in the public schools? Or our Muslim population to have a study of the Quran in our public schools?
Parents today must be LAZY.

Since I did want my son to learn about the Bible; I got my hind-end out of bed on a Sunday morning and took him to Sunday School and Church instead OF demanding that the school dole out their version of christianity.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Parents today must be LAZY.

Since I did want my son to learn about the Bible; I got my hind-end out of bed on a Sunday morning and took him to Sunday School and Church instead OF demanding that the school dole out their version of christianity.
Yeah, I went to a Religious school when I was a kid. It is an individual thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies