Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 07:39 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,605,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Would it, or does it matter? When it invariably reverts back to or devolves into 'roads'. Sheeesh.

The classic 'libertarian dilemma': replacing jacka$$es with unicorns doesn't have the tendency to be a workable problem-solving alternative.
Then what’s the point of posting here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,458,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
For the record, I meant aggression defined as offensive force/the initiation of force.

Our fundamental disagreement is on what constitutes defensive vs. offensive force.
This is true.

Let me give you an analogy. Say you’re stranded in the middle of the desert with another person.

There are nine water bottles. You claim eight and say the other has the freedom to use the ninth however he/she wants.

There are two faults with this assumption; the first is that both of you are in an environment where a lack of water equates to a lessening of one’s freedom. The second is that claim ownership is an authoritative claim on what people can and can’t use beyond reason.

I’d like to get rid of both factors.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,327,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

better than what?
What we have. Or is a lousier system OK as long as a private company own it?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Then what’s the point of posting here?
Good point. Seriously. Have a nice evening & a pleasant tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,415,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This is true.

Let me give you an analogy. Say you’re stranded in the middle of the desert with another person.

There are nine water bottles. You claim eight and say the other has the freedom to use the ninth however he/she wants.

There are two faults with this assumption; the first is that both of you are in an environment where a lack of water equates to a lessening of one’s freedom. The second is that claim ownership is an authoritative claim on what people can and can’t use beyond reason.

I’d like to get rid of both factors.
Who mixed their labor with previously unused materials to produce the bottles and then fill them? That is the rightful owner.

Though you aren't a statist in the traditional sense you too exhibit this fantasy that nature is kind and ready-made for humans to survive and thrive.

Like all statists you don't understand what constitutes private ownership. Marxism struggles here by making some absurd claim of personal and private property. It's one in the same.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Good point. Seriously. Have a nice evening & a pleasant tomorrow.
Don't leave us Chi.

Question: Is the "Social Contract" a morally and logically sound paradigm?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who mixed their labor with previously unused materials to produce the bottles and then fill them? That is the rightful owner.

Though you aren't a statist in the traditional sense you too exhibit this fantasy that nature is kind and ready-made for humans to survive and thrive.
The person who bought the bottles from the manufacturer, or the person who inherited them from their parents.

If you wanted a capitalism where people only owned what they themselves made, that would be different. But that is not the capitalism you imagine and the end results to the same problems I previously mentioned.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What we have. Or is a lousier system OK as long as a private company own it?
Have you ever tried firing the government? If so, how did it go?

Also, did you know the Ohio turnpike's fees were initially suppose to be temporary? Not sure of your age but my father b-itched about this until the day he died a few years ago.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The person who bought the bottles from the manufacturer, or the person who inherited them from their parents.

If you wanted a capitalism where people only owned what they themselves made, that would be different. But that is not the capitalism you imagine and the end results to the same problems I previously mentioned.
You're off on a tangent again.

How did those bottles get there? Are you seriously in denial on the legitimacy of transfer of ownership?

EDIT: What "problems"? The fact that Jesus Christ, Barney the Dinosaur, and Buddha only put a small percentage of potable water on earth?

Your "problem" is with existence/life itself.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're off on a tangent again.

How did those bottles get there? Are you seriously in denial on the legitimacy of transfer of ownership?

EDIT: What "problems"? The fact that Jesus Christ, Barney the Dinosaur, and Buddha only put a small percentage of potable water on earth?

Your "problem" is with existence/life itself.
1. My problem isn't with the transfer of ownership, it is with the ability to purchase and inherit more than you have the capacity to contain.

2. Re-read your last post I was replying to, you said their labor was involved in gaining ownership to the bottles, I responded that in capitalism that is not the only way to gain ownership.

You have two problems with this case, either you eliminate private ownership or you eliminate transfer of ownership. You want to keep both which is where the problem arises.

3. The problems I mentioned in my original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies