Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we pay 5 billion for a wall Trump promised Mexico was to pay for?
Yes, we should. Mexico will pay us back. 127 37.91%
No, we don't need more wasteful spending. 208 62.09%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:31 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're not getting any better at this, are you?

Made you respond...so it's doing something....I know you hate the truth....and you just hate trump...oh well...

Old 12-30-2018, 07:37 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
If you could get back the cash Trumps ill advised tariff wars have cost the country, you would have the money to build a wall.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:45 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
If you could get back the cash Trumps ill advised tariff wars have cost the country, you would have the money to build a wall.

If we'd get back the cash we just gave mexico, he'd have twice the amount he is asking for....

Old 12-30-2018, 07:51 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I was talking about how the one poster's experience is just that...one person's experience. It may hold true overall. It may not. It's interesting to hear people's experiences and we can keep them in mind, but it cannot truly indicate what is going on by itself.

What reason do you have to believe that the experience and habits of many illegals working in the construction industry where I live would be significantly different than illegals working in the construction industry where you live?

Some things that I learned while working and interacting with them that the media won't tell you:

A higher than average number of them are men, most in their 20's and 30's.

Many have no interest in becoming Americans.

Many drive without a license or insurance.

Getting back and forth across the border illegaly isn't that difficult. Once they are here they become immersed in sort of an underground culture that helps one and other with things like taking care of family members and transportation, including border crossings.

They only spend enough money here to support themselves while they're here making money that they send back home or spend when they go back home.

That's why the stereotype of many living in the same house and riding in the same car is actually pretty accurate. And the narrative about how much they contribute to our economy is dubious at best.

It's not unusual for a large group of young men to live in a house with just a few women who cook and take care of the kids.

More of them speak at least rudimentary English than they will sometimes let on and they can be very racist towards blacks and even other Hispanics from different countries or different parts of their own country. The lighter skinned they are, they more likely they are to consider themselves to be "white" and also culturally higher up on their social structure. I don't remember the specifics, but they have their own racial slang for other Hispanics that they don't like or that they consider to be lower than them

Not all of them are the hard workers that the stereotype would have you believe. Many of the ones who come here are, but the ratio of lazy people and criminals etc is pretty much the same as anyone else.

They're not all here "just to make a better life".
A few of the guys I worked with were also involved in some rather nasty stuff, including smuggling and prostitution of underages girls.

There were a few really good people that I met over time that wanted to do things the right way but they just didn't have the means to go through the system.
Unfortunately, they were more the exception than the rule.

The government in Mexico is extremely corrupt.
Getting a student or vacation visa isn't very difficult if you know who to bribe. And once they are here for a certain amount of time, they can apply for what's called a "metricular consular" ....a form of ID issued by the Mexican Consulate that helps them obtain all sorts of benefits including a US issued "taxpayer ID" number...that just happens to be the same number of digits as a Social Security number.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:51 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNW View Post
It’s because your question is absurd. It’s like asking somebody pro life how many would-be aborted fetuses they adopt each year.

The wall is a political stunt and waste of money. The deal was that Mexico is paying, why do we need to pay 5 billion?

Was it a political stunt back in 2006 when congress actually passed the wall bill? Why weren't you upset back then that it was to be the taxpayer to soley fund it? Hmmm.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

Old 12-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Just for the record.....

I'm 100% A-OK with penalties against employers for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants.

And it certainly should get more press.....

Gee, I wonder why the Left doesn't pick up that flag and run with it instead of harping on "I thought Mexico was going to pay for the wall" and calling everyone racist?

It's nothing but lies that Trump and his supporters don't want to stop the employers from hiring illegal aliens and punishing them for doing so. Most of us have stated as such right here in this forum. Selective reading by the left in here? Trump has e-verify in his 2019 budget also. Obama discontinued the work place raids while Trump re-instated them. There have been several cases since Trump took office where the employers were caught and punished. If the left needs proof I can certainly provide it to them with links.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I don't think it's so much a reason to be mad as it is to be disappointed. Trump failed America here and that makes Trump a failure in that regard. He's not the fist president to disappoint his voters. The only difference was that only the unintelligent would believe that Trump would succeed in getting Mexico to actually pay for the wall. And as the past couple years have shown, we have a lot of those kinds of people who can vote. They are probably disappointed in Trump. They should be disappointed in themselves.

In the case with someone like Obama who failed in that he didn't properly assess that insurance companies would cancel existing plans that would force Americans to switch plans that may not support their existing doctor, it's not that straight forward. Insurance is complex and most people don't understand the intricacies of it and as a result didn't even understand what was being proposed. They trusted the government to do what is best for them and it didn't turn out like that for some people. Those people have a reason to be pissed at Obama.
Why should we be disappointed in him? He promised to fight to secure our border and he's doing just that. He's even shut down the government over it. It's irrelevant who pays for it. It's well needed, cost effective and the good walls do work. Even the Border Patrol and Homeland Security have said so.

He asked Mexico to pay for it and they refused up front but Trump has a plan to make them pay for it eventually in the meantime we need the wall now. All this crying and weeping about Mexico paying for the wall when none of you were doing the same back in 2006 when the actual wall bill was passed by congress and it was to be soley the taxpayer to fund it. Hmm.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:11 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Was it a political stunt back in 2006 when congress actually passed the wall bill? Why weren't you upset back then that it was to be the taxpayer to soley fund it? Hmmm.

LOL. Keep repeating the same misleading information won’t make it true

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...der-wall-2006/

And if Mexico IS paying for the wall why are we asking and shutting down our government for 5 billion for the wall?

You can spin it anyways you wanted but it still won’t make it true.

Happy New Year

Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I voted for Trump to get a Muslim ban. I don't want a wall because I like Mexican immigrants, they don't cover up women like Muslims do.

So you want Mexicans to be able to come here at will without following our immigration laws to do so? WTH? If they come illegally that's ok with you? It's ok if they take American construction jobs and other once good paying jobs? It's ok that they overcrowd our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and cost us billions a year? By the way, those here illegally aren't plain ole "immigrants" either. Why don't you move to Mexico since you like Mexicans so much?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:18 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you want Mexicans to be able to come here at will without following our immigration laws to do so? WTH? If they come illegally that's ok with you? It's ok if they take American construction jobs and other once good paying jobs? It's ok that they overcrowd our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and cost us billions a year? By the way, those here illegally aren't plain ole "immigrants" either. Why don't you move to Mexico since you like Mexicans so much?
Why the focus on Mexicans? The majority of those coming illegally are no longer Mexicans and many are from other countries overstaying their visas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies