Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:41 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,282,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post
I seriously doubt it. Dem and Reb's that hate Trump's guts smell blood in the water. No one wants his stupid wall and they get to make him look like more of a lightweight idiot. A bunch of small brained Trumpies squawking their approval doesn't mean squat.
They’ll probably agree to a much scaled back version for much less. This will be followed by Trump tweets that this is what he really wanted all along. He’ll claim a massive victory.

Maybe they’ll tie it to something that allows Dreamers to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 07:48 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I know several government workers, and not one of them works a full week. One "works" from home 4 days a week, another "works" from home 3 days a week, and the other "works" from home 2 days a week. In other words, the MOST any of them have to work is 3 days a week, and they all earn $120k - $145k.

They run all sorts of errands, go shopping, watch their kids at soccer games, even go to the movies. And get this: One of them actually told me that if I want to chit-chat to please call her during the telework day (when she's at home) rather than during the evening when she's relaxing on her own time. How crazy is that?
Oh, dear, someone else stuck in the 20th century. Telecommuting is the way of business now. More and more people are working from home several days a week across all industries now. And this is increasing, and will continue to increase, every year.

And for the record, I have been working from home for 20 years now. There are lots of independent contractors who don't have an office to go to aside from our home offices. It's offensive that you put work in quotes, as if we don't actually do any. Yes, we have more freedom in our workday, but we still have to produce or we'll be out of work.

Come into the 21st century. It's not your father's business world any longer.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:50 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I hate this so much. I thought Individual 1 claimed the economy is great. Why is he doing this to us? I know he cares about only those who sing him praises, but there are some of his loony fans in the fed, too!

When Obama did it, it sucked, but at least he was working to dig us out of the mess GWB made of the economy.

What I1 is doing makes exactly no sense.
Oh you poor, poor thing. If I could just forget the thousands of putdowns you’ve strewn across this board over the years, I might actually feel sorry for you.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:54 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Oh you poor, poor thing. If I could just forget the thousands of putdowns you’ve strewn across this board over the years, I might actually feel sorry for you.
/\ If you haven't been slammed by the Beautiful Californian you are either a liberal woman or you just got here last week.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:59 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Schadenfreude sits with a cocktail and laughs.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:01 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I know several government workers, and not one of them works a full week. One "works" from home 4 days a week, another "works" from home 3 days a week, and the other "works" from home 2 days a week. In other words, the MOST any of them have to work is 3 days a week, and they all earn $120k - $145k.

They run all sorts of errands, go shopping, watch their kids at soccer games, even go to the movies. And get this: One of them actually told me that if I want to chit-chat to please call her during the telework day (when she's at home) rather than during the evening when she's relaxing on her own time. How crazy is that?
Is your issue that some people are wasting the taxpayer's money? How about the military--does that count? We pay soldiers more when they are married, and per kid. I actually know people in the marines that got married for more benefits. Private companies do not do this. Why does the government? Does this waste concern you?

If your issue is really about waste and not just due to envy over a friend's work hours, then shouldn't we overhaul the entire government, from the military down?

Looks like everyone who gets paid by the government can take advantage of it, including congress members with huge conflicts of interest.

https://www.today.com/news/us-soldie...its-2D80186882

Old 12-30-2018, 08:04 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This will affect 420,000 federal workers and puts in motion his statements that he will withhold their pay.

Also, cancelled a previously agreed on 2 per cent raise for federal workers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/29/polit...eze/index.html
Boo Hoo.
When civilians either could not find jobs or went without pay raises for years, the Federal Clowns were getting pay raises under Obama.
500,000 federal workers - that's nearly 1/4 of the work force - make over $100,000/year. Add that to the 20 year retirement many of them enjoy and you have a picture of why federal workers are Democrats.
Their pay raise could be cancelled into 2020 as far as I am concerned.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:23 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,292,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Boo Hoo.
When civilians either could not find jobs or went without pay raises for years, the Federal Clowns were getting pay raises under Obama.
500,000 federal workers - that's nearly 1/4 of the work force - make over $100,000/year. Add that to the 20 year retirement many of them enjoy and you have a picture of why federal workers are Democrats.
You sound jealous.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:44 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Its actually both although this thread is just about the COLA of 2.1%, he also froze locality pay for high cost areas which can amount to over 30%.

This is absurd, he just gave corporations and others a huge tax cut and now he is suddenly worried about deficits a week before they were to go into effect.
Oh, but he has a lot more friends in the heads of corporations than he does in run of the mill Federal workers. Let's face it, despite his rhetoric, he's NOT a "man of the people" in any real sense, unless "the people" means other RICH people.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:48 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Boo Hoo.
What "20 year retirement"? Federal workers under the FERS system largely fund their own retirement through their own contributions. The government does match funds up to a certain amount. but if an employee doesn't contribute pretty much the max percentage starting with their first paycheck, their retirement amount is going to be pretty slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies