Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
What "20 year retirement"? Federal workers under the FERS system largely fund their own retirement through their own contributions. The government does match funds up to a certain amount. but if an employee doesn't contribute pretty much the max percentage starting with their first paycheck, their retirement amount is going to be pretty slim.
The MRA (Minimum Retirement Age) for federal workers is 57.
If you are age 50, you may retire after 20 years; if you have 25 years you may retire at any age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 09:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I know several government workers, and not one of them works a full week. One "works" from home 4 days a week, another "works" from home 3 days a week, and the other "works" from home 2 days a week. In other words, the MOST any of them have to work is 3 days a week, and they all earn $120k - $145k.

They run all sorts of errands, go shopping, watch their kids at soccer games, even go to the movies. And get this: One of them actually told me that if I want to chit-chat to please call her during the telework day (when she's at home) rather than during the evening when she's relaxing on her own time. How crazy is that?
No offense but 'working from home' is also a thing in the private sector. I've had jobs that were completely work from home (same company) and now I report to an office but can work from home 3 days a week if we choose.

I think frankly it's cheaper from handing out raises and keeps the masses happy PLUS many people will work from sun up to sundown if they are at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
And what do you do to earn money?

In the space of five years you have posted close to 40,000 times, or 21 times per day.

So, what is your work?
Must allow for a great deal of free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Its actually both although this thread is just about the COLA of 2.1%, he also froze locality pay for high cost areas which can amount to over 30%.

This is absurd, he just gave corporations and others a huge tax cut and now he is suddenly worried about deficits a week before they were to go into effect.
Well, they aren't his rich buddies to whom he gave the massive tax cut and cannot further him politically so he doesn't care about them. You can tell by his comment that most of the workers are 'Democrats' that he wouldn't lift one finger to help any one of them.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:08 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If you are age 50, you may retire after 20 years; if you have 25 years you may retire at any age.
I think I'd want to check with OPM on those figures. At any rate, everyone I worked with wanted to stay on as long as they could because they simply could not afford to retire as early as that. And I worked with many people who started with the Feds right out of high school in intern programs. They progressed into professional grades (they went to college at night), so that at age 50 they had 32 years in - and were still going strong. I only retired at age 56 with 22+ years in because my command disestablished and my late husband was gravely ill with cancer at the time.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,180,749 times
Quote:
For your second sentence, you're thinking of Early Retirement, which Federal Employees can not do, unless it is offered to them (typically when their particular organization is downsizing).

Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
Quote:
Boo Hoo.
When civilians either could not find jobs or went without pay raises for years, the Federal Clowns were getting pay raises under Obama.
500,000 federal workers - that's nearly 1/4 of the work force - make over $100,000/year. Add that to the 20 year retirement many of them enjoy and you have a picture of why federal workers are Democrats.
Their pay raise could be cancelled into 2020 as far as I am concerned.
Lol. If you're gonna sling mug, at least get your facts straight. Pay was frozen under Obama. It was actually W who increased wages.

And for the 1000th time. Feds making over $100k are typically GS12-13+. They pretty much have to have at least a PhD or a MS with years of experience.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:25 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Oh you are so wrong. I am 54 with 32 years and I cannot retire until I hit 56 unless and early retirement is offered. The retirement age also depends on when you started. Do some research before posting.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Oh you are so wrong. I am 54 with 32 years and I cannot retire until I hit 56 unless and early retirement is offered. The retirement age also depends on when you started. Do some research before posting.
Thanks. I knew those figures were wrong but didn't have the right ones at hand.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 AM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Boo Hoo.
When civilians either could not find jobs or went without pay raises for years, the Federal Clowns were getting pay raises under Obama.
500,000 federal workers - that's nearly 1/4 of the work force - make over $100,000/year. Add that to the 20 year retirement many of them enjoy and you have a picture of why federal workers are Democrats.
Obama froze federal wages in 2010 and 2011 because of the deficit, Trump also froze wages because of the deficit that he helped create.

I don't know where you came up with a claim that government workers are democrats, you shouldn't listen to Trump.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Boo Hoo.
uhm...there is no "20 year retirement" for federal workers

its 30 years (actually 30/56.4( which means you MUST have worked AT LEAST 30 years and be AT LEAST the age of 56.4, before you even QUA:IFY for a retirement))...and the "retirement" is about 1%xnumber of years worked

most government workers (85%) make less than 70k (the average government worker is GS7 thru GS11 (50k(GS7) thru 70k(GS11)

Obama and the democrats FROZE pay for nearly 3 years... and most times the so-called "raises" don't even cover the increased cost...
(for example.. my raise last year equaled out to about $60 dollars a pay period....Yet my FEHB (heath insurance) went from 248/pp to 326/pp (AETNA)...so my "raise" was a loss of $18)

Old 12-30-2018, 11:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
false

the min age is about 57 (56.4 for me, based on year born)...so you are correct on that

early retirement (before age OR time) is for people medically retired... or for people who will age out (62) before they have their 30 years

Quote:
if you have 25 years you may retire at any age
totally false

even if you have 30 years, you still MUST wait until the age of about 57 before you can request retirment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies