Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times

Advertisements

[Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
How long will it take before the money saved from the shutdown pays for The Wall?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What savings?

YES! Thank you, MAM, finally someone has brought this up. Trump thinks that the wall will be paid for by the shutdown. Seriously. His tweet:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

“The Wall is different than the 25 Billion Dollars in Border Security. The complete Wall will be built with the Shutdown money plus funds already in hand. The reporting has been inaccurate on the point. The problem is, without the Wall, much of the rest of Dollars are wasted!”
10:10 AM · Dec 24, 2018 · Twitter for iPhone

So, as I understand it then, he intends to take the salaries of those furloughed as well as the expected raises and locality increases of federal employees to pay for the wall. Am I reading this right?

Huh!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 12:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This will affect 420,000 federal workers and puts in motion his statements that he will withhold their pay.

Also, cancelled a previously agreed on 2 per cent raise for federal workers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/29/polit...eze/index.html
1. if a pay freeze happens (must be passed by congress, like the one back in 09,10) it affects 2. something million federal workers, not 400k

2. what they should do is freeze the executive level (GS14+) as most federal workers are gs7 thru gs11

3. the senate already passed a 1.9% cola...its up to the house now...and with the dims taking over, it could happen, since they are the ones who passed the last freeze when Obama took over

Old 12-30-2018, 12:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I know several government workers, and not one of them works a full week. One "works" from home 4 days a week, another "works" from home 3 days a week, and the other "works" from home 2 days a week. In other words, the MOST any of them have to work is 3 days a week, and they all earn $120k - $145k.

They run all sorts of errands, go shopping, watch their kids at soccer games, even go to the movies. And get this: One of them actually told me that if I want to chit-chat to please call her during the telework day (when she's at home) rather than during the evening when she's relaxing on her own time. How crazy is that?
the average federal worker is GS07 thru gs11..making 50k(GS7) to 70k (GS11)...workers work a 80hr pay period (2weeks)..some get flextime, which means they have options of 8hr day, or 10hr day(5 day week or 4 day week..but the week is still 40hrs)

so I call malarkey on your post

Old 12-30-2018, 03:00 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
Anyone who works for the US Government knows that you don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Until you get that raise on your check....don't depend on it.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:39 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I voted for Trump and what have I gotten?

- wall? Nope.
- any decrease in illegal immigration? Nope.
- tax cuts for me? Nope.

- make it so I won't be paid? Yup.
- make it so I don't get a raise during great economic times? Yup.
- demonize a segment of Americans just because Trump is mad at some of them? Yup.

Thanks for making my 2020 decision so much easier. As you have for most federal employees.
If you are basing what our Congress lacks to do against the POTUS, thats pretty sad.
1- your first mistake was to really think a wall was going to happen. I voted for Trump and I even knew that was a VERY tall order.
2- Actually there has been a decrease on illegal immigration.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/u...ion-study.html
3- We have had tax cuts...I've seen them on my husband's LES. Unlike when Obama was in office, he received a raise, taxes went up and there went the raise and then some.

Welcome to the world of the American military member who loses their pay at the games of our elected congress all in the name of politics. I think we all could agree it's honestly about damn time our elected official lose their pay for being unproductive and not doing their jobs when they pull crap like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Less than 25% of the adults in this country voted for Trump.

So maybe instead of Civics, you should brush up on math?

The overwhelming majority of adults in the US did NOT vote for Trump. And yet, here we are, with those who back him not knowing that.
Good gravy...you keep referencing less than 25% of adults. What matters is those who actually exercise their right to vote. That 25% number does not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The majority of Americans do not want a wall.
Yet...there is another majority who do and has for years. It's quite an interesting history. Brief History: A Timeline of the U.S. Border Wall - Worldstir

Old 12-30-2018, 05:21 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I know several government workers, and not one of them works a full week. One "works" from home 4 days a week, another "works" from home 3 days a week, and the other "works" from home 2 days a week. In other words, the MOST any of them have to work is 3 days a week, and they all earn $120k - $145k.

They run all sorts of errands, go shopping, watch their kids at soccer games, even go to the movies. And get this: One of them actually told me that if I want to chit-chat to please call her during the telework day (when she's at home) rather than during the evening when she's relaxing on her own time. How crazy is that?
Why don't you report them then? With the exception of the Patent and Trade office employees who are mostly 100% telework in an attempt to reduce office space for the agency, most agencies have a policy of a maximum of 2 days telework. Each agency has their telework policy written and probably available to the general public if you look hard enough.

A breach of the policy is something the IG would love to know about.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:27 AM

20,125 posts, read 9,036,439 times
feds will get their COLA and their pay increase when all is said and done.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:48 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Take my money that I earned. Damn straight I'm an authority.

It's not hard to understand. But you have to have actually worked a real job to "get it".

Only an overpaid, under worked, entitled government worker would think otherwise.

And what do you do to earn money?

In the space of five years you have posted close to 40,000 times, or 21 times per day.

So, what is your work?

Old 12-30-2018, 06:14 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Another person that didn't read the OP's linked article. No one is missing a paycheck. They simply aren't getting a 2.1% raise.
Its actually both although this thread is just about the COLA of 2.1%, he also froze locality pay for high cost areas which can amount to over 30%.

This is absurd, he just gave corporations and others a huge tax cut and now he is suddenly worried about deficits a week before they were to go into effect.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
It does seem that President Trump is trying his best to alienate various groups of voters.

I have a theory that Mr. Trump is doing so deliberately: he wishes to prove that he may alienate all sorts of people, but that he can still win re-election via his 'base'.

Now, I am not saying that it is a smart thing for him to do. However, it is consistent with his way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies