Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
tRump at "worship me" rally: "OK, so it's not a wall. It's a barrier. It's steel slats. It's a whatchamacallit."

Trumplings "Build that fence! Build that fence!"

tRump: "And who's gonna pay for it?"

Trumplings: "We will!"

So much winning.

Speaking of, he'll be in El Paso today, lying some more about how unsafe is that beautiful city.

"Many here seethed at Trump’s characterization of El Paso during his State of the Union address last week, when he said the border city had “extremely high rates of violent crime” until a border fence was installed. The peak of violent crime in El Paso – at about 6,500 violent crimes per year – was recorded in 1993, well before the fence was erected in 2008, and has fallen steadily since, according to an analysis by the El Paso Times.

But even at its violent peak, El Paso recorded lower levels of violent crime than comparably-sized cities, such as the 22,000 violent crimes reported by the Baltimore City Police Department and 16,600 reported by police in Washington, D.C., the same year, according to the Times."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ly/2834896002/

Old 02-11-2019, 08:57 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
When Obama said you can keep your plan, I think he honestly intended that to be true. In fact, it did turn out to be true for the vast majority of people. A small percentage had to change because their plans didn't meet the criteria of ACA. He subsequently got a lot of grief over that remark.

When Trump said Mexico will pay for the wall, everyone knew that was BS. He never said how he was going to get Mexico to pay, and honestly I don't think he believed it himself. He should not be allowed to get away with making such careless lies.

Lies, huh? Were you just as concerned about who would pay for the wall when the actual bill passed congress back in 2006 and it was to be soley the taxpayer to fund it? Thought not!

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nope, but you seem to be.

Good, so...why are you here then?

Yea, damn he stick up for what he was elected for....I know it's a strange concept, to some, that he is actually doing that, and it appears many just don't like it. Oh well....

Holding to his promise....strange concept to you

Nothing has been done for over a decade....signed border patrol....

Nope, and even though you say you don't hold people to their exact words...here you are doing it, again.

I hope you remember PAYGO....
Yes. I meant I was confused by your comment, again, and no better off now after another.

"Holding to a promise" is a strange concept to me?

You are a master at this sort of nonsense. Again I've got to give you that (and that's about all I can give your comments like these). Please don't mind me...

Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 AM

13,607 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
How can you have a "detailed plan" when you don't know what funds are going to be available?

Details in this case may have to be subject to change depending on what's possible and what's not.

You seem to be incredulous at the obvious.

Now, he may have several options in mind depending on what's possible at different price/political points.

But he's under no obligation to announce them.
How can you ask for such a specific amount - $5.7B - without some details of what you want to build and how much it will cost? What would happen if one of his employees asked him for $100 million to build a hotel, without any idea of where, how big, what amenities and what the final price tag is likely to be?

Also, remember this is just a down payment on what has been estimated to be a $25B expenditure.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Speaking of, he'll be in El Paso today, lying some more about how unsafe is that beautiful city.

"Many here seethed at Trump’s characterization of El Paso during his State of the Union address last week, when he said the border city had “extremely high rates of violent crime” until a border fence was installed. The peak of violent crime in El Paso – at about 6,500 violent crimes per year – was recorded in 1993, well before the fence was erected in 2008, and has fallen steadily since, according to an analysis by the El Paso Times.

But even at its violent peak, El Paso recorded lower levels of violent crime than comparably-sized cities, such as the 22,000 violent crimes reported by the Baltimore City Police Department and 16,600 reported by police in Washington, D.C., the same year, according to the Times."

For years, El Paso has been just about last place on the list of violent US cities and that long before the border fence.

Also, tonight Beto is holding a competing rally just down the street from where tRump's "worship me" services will be.

I won't even mention the Baby tRump blimp that'll be flying high.

https://www.bustle.com/p/trumps-el-p...blimp-15940155

Should be an interesting evening.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
What's the plan, man?

Since it's clear that Trump's Wall is going to continue to divide this country for some time to come, how about if we get a little clarity into exactly what we are discussing.

Trump began this whole process 3 years ago by promising to "build a great wall," 30 feet tall, "from sea to shining sea." Remember? "A big, beautiful wall, with a big, beautiful door in the middle," whatever the hell that was supposed to mean. Since then, he's been all over the place with his stream of consciousness babbling, but he's never specifically explained exactly what the project will look like.

There is no plan. Normally, when seeking funding and political support for an infrastructure project of this scale, a President would lay out a detailed plan - how many miles of wall, how high, what type of wall, and most importantly, how much it's all going to cost. But Trump has done none of those things. None of those things.

There just is no detailed plan for his wall; it simply does not exist. Anywhere.

Yet when arguing with Trump supporters, I find that they frequently insist that Trump has laid out very detailed plans for the entire project - that it's "common knowledge", everyone knows it, there are dozens of links, etc. etc.

But when I ask them to show me one of those links, suddenly they can't find them. Odd, isn't it?

So, my question to you Trump supporters is this - what are Trump's exact plans for his Wall? Where exactly is it going to be built; how many miles, what parts of the border, what kind of construction will it be, and how much will it cost?

Should be simple, right? I mean, if he's asking Congress to give him tens of billions of dollars to build it, it's only reasonable that he should be able to explain exactly what that money is going to buy, right? So let's have at it. Show us Trump's plan!
OK, which one of you private contractors on CD can provide blueprints, project plans, cost analysis, and timelines to this very concerned citizen? Please provide a link to where you've posted this information on the public internet.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Dude View Post
"You can keep your plan, you can keep your doctor" - Obama

Meh, oh well he told a white lie, no harm in that.

"Mexico will pay for the wall" - Trump

The whole world goes crazy!!!!!!!!
Yes indeed Obama told a lie and the scoreboard reads Trump:8151 lies
Obama: 1 lie.
Do you see why 'the whole world goes crazy"?
Here`s the database where you can see them all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.7b9f2bacd578

Last edited by gmagoo; 02-11-2019 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: made an addition

Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 AM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Dude View Post
"You can keep your plan, you can keep your doctor" - Obama

Meh, oh well he told a white lie, no harm in that.

"Mexico will pay for the wall" - Trump

The whole world goes crazy!!!!!!!!
My healthcare plan is 100% better under O'care. And I did get to keep my doctor. So there is that.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wouldn't that be nice.

How will the wall be constructed? Materials, etc.

If there are different types of walls/barriers what are these different types?

Where will each type be built?

What are the plans for monitoring each section? What will that cost?

What will the process for obtaining land involve?

What about roads?

What is the time line?

What is the total estimated cost?
This is going to be the greatest barrier ever. Everyone is saying it. Even the Chinese are thinking of redoing their wall to be like mine. I spoke to them just the other day. President Trump, they said, I don't let them call me Donald, you're so great, and everyone there loves you so much, can you show us the plans for your wall. I just told them no. They'd have to steal them like they do all our other business secrets.
For costs on the wall we don't have those details yet, but rest assured, we'll go through a selective bidding process to ensure every Trump entity has as many stubby fingers in the bigly pie of public money as possible. We'll also have to ensure that there are massive cost over-runs to enrich us further, and no penalty clauses for not meeting timelines. Those cut into my, I mean the profits. No expense spared, especially since Mexico will pay for it. - DJT

Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 AM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

I saw an interview this morning with the mayor of El Paso, who is a Republican. He said he hopes he gets to talk to Trump to explain why a "wall" is not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies