Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM

46,315 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The term DHS uses is "wall system" to refer to the combined impact of infrastructure, technology, and border patrol.

What if we are already stopping 90 to 95 percent of border crossers. How much of a percentage increase in effectiveness do you expect from more wall footage.

Funny how that never comes up. There have to be some statistics out there. Or DHS projections.

Lots of precise data on CBP monthly arrests. Estimates on net increases or (the reality) decreases in total illegals. Where is this invasion of illegal immigrants disappearing to.

Trump says (he's talking now on the television in the background) that "it" does not "work" without a "wall."

Wonder what he's talking about.

What percentage increase in border effectiveness.

Can you imagine ANYONE trying to justify a business expansion without first calculating anticipated increased revenue.

Silly business, this wall.

Walls work...signed the Border Patrol....

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Quote:
The Bottom Line: Walls Work. When it comes to stopping drugs and illegal aliens from crossing our borders, border walls have proven to be extremely effective. Border security relies on a combination of border infrastructure, technology, personnel and partnerships with law enforcement at the state, local, tribal, and federal level. For example, when we installed a border wall in the Yuma Sector, we have seen border apprehensions decrease by 90 percent. In San Diego, we saw on Sunday that dilapidated, decades-old barriers are not sufficient for today’s threat and need to be removed so new – up to 30 foot wall sections can be completed.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:29 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

You just gave me past data on current walls when I'm requesting projected data for expansions.

If this was a business, I'd send you back to the drawing board, or maybe calculator.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You just gave me past data on current walls when I'm requesting projected data for expansions.

If this was a business, I'd send you back to the drawing board, or maybe calculator.

Really? So, you would not look at past data to improve your company (understanding things need to be tweaked)?

That's pretty stupid...

Hey company, we made money doing things "this way"....but now we are not going to do that....all because I don't like that data....

Yea, you need to be sent back to the drawing board, and it appears you may need a new calculator...

Old 02-11-2019, 05:37 PM

1,991 posts, read 901,434 times
Quote:
So, you were not mad? That's the first time in a decade they built walls....it started in 2017...who do you think was president at that time?
I just want to know what specifically Trump’s plan for his Wall is. What’s the outline. It’s a simple question.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I just want to know what specifically Trump’s plan for his Wall is. What’s the outline. It’s a simple question.

Again, why did yo not care about this in 2017?

Old 02-11-2019, 05:43 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Reports say negotiations have broken down. We might see another shutdown or an emergency declaration

Either way, the wall will be funded one way or another

Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Really? So, you would not look at past data to improve you company (understanding things need to be tweaked)?

That's pretty stupid...

Hey company, we made money doing things "this way"....but now we are not going to do that....all because I don't like that data....

Yea, you need to be sent back to the drawing board, and it appears you may need a new calculator...
Nope. For a bunch of reasons:

1. Demand for our business is limited by extraneous factors. Mexican birth rate falling. We may not have that many new Mexican economy-driven customers at our new wall businesses.

2. Some of my customers also have a strong preference for my old locations. Urban areas, ports-of-entry. We're not getting too many women and children at our new desert wall business.

3. Our old wall businesses are already located in the areas where we didn't encounter too many problems building. We know that the locals are going to give us a bunch of trouble if we try to build in their neighborhoods - the Rio Grande Valley.

4. We have staffing issues (the CBP) that may make some new wall locations less serviceable.

5. We have a product issue with one of our potential locations. The boss wants us to serve one product (no entries) but we can only deliver another. (The Rio Grande walls will be back from the river, not preventing illegals who can still claim asylum).

6. Some of our potential customers soon won't need us any more. Drugs cartels turning to new technology (drones etc.). That's another demand issue.

7. Some of our new wall businesses are going to be large that they'll be expensive to staff. The CBP. Customers are going to get so tired of waiting for "service" that they'll just go right on thru.

The wall business is a tad more complicated that it appears.

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-11-2019 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Nope. For a bunch of reasons:

1. Demand for our business is limited by extraneous factors. Mexican birth rate falling. We may not have that many new Mexican economy-driven customers at our new wall businesses.

Well, we have to look back at current numbers....

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/c...ien-statistics

We are not talking about mexican birth rates.

Quote:
2. Some of my customers also have a strong preference for my old locations. Urban areas, ports-of-entry. We're not getting too many women and children at our new desert wall business.

Anything to back this up? Of course not.

Quote:
3. Our old wall businesses are already located in the areas where we didn't encounter too many problems building. We know that the locals are going to give us a bunch of trouble if we try to build in their neighborhoods - the Rio Grande Valley.

"The Bottom Line: Walls Work. When it comes to stopping drugs and illegal aliens from crossing our borders, border walls have proven to be extremely effective. Border security relies on a combination of border infrastructure, technology, personnel and partnerships with law enforcement at the state, local, tribal, and federal level. For example, when we installed a border wall in the Yuma Sector, we have seen border apprehensions decrease by 90 percent. In San Diego, we saw on Sunday that dilapidated, decades-old barriers are not sufficient for today’s threat and need to be removed so new – up to 30 foot wall sections can be completed."

Quote:
4. We have staffing issues (the CBP) that may make some new wall locations less serviceable.

So, you don't want more money to staff these issues?

Quote:
5. We have a product issue with one of our potential locations. The boss wants us to serve one product (no entries) but we can only deliver another. (The Rio Grande walls will be back from the river, not preventing illegals who can still claim asylum).

This is just a complete lie, but why not prove me wrong.

Quote:
6. Some of our potential customers soon won't need us any more. Drugs cartels turning to new technology (drones etc.). That's another demand issue.

Well hell, lets just open the border then..I mean, it's obvious we don't need to try.

Quote:
7. Some of our new wall businesses are going to be large that they'll be expensive to staff. The CBP. Customers are going to get so tired of waiting for "service" that they'll just go right on thru.

The wall business is a tad more complicated that it appears.

Except the wall business works, even the CBP states they do.....

But why in the hell should we listen to those on the actual border? I mean, what do they know?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:

Until they don't

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/border-...ls-since-1990/

Clearly propaganda worked on you though lol

Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Really? So, you would not look at past data to improve your company (understanding things need to be tweaked)?

That's pretty stupid...

My list - shown in the last post - was to answer your question why I would not look to past data. The short answer is: you cannot count on new walls (or business expansions) to replicate past conditions - then provided wall examples where situations might differ.

If an employee came to me wanting to expand our business, the last thing I would have to do is justify to HIM why we could not do it. A simple "No" should suffice.

My response would be for the employee (here, you've been promoted to be Trump) to justify to me (citizens, voters represented by Congress) why we should do it, using criteria that I find relevant like future demand not past data.

The request:
Quote:
What percentage increase in border effectiveness.

Can you imagine ANYONE trying to justify a business expansion without first calculating anticipated increased revenue.

Silly business, this wall.
Edited to add: Look ... this increasingly sounds like it's a moot issue ... just now there are announcements an agreement has been reached. At this point, we should all be celebrating one way or another.

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-11-2019 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies