Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 11:02 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,236,544 times

Advertisements

IQ scores have dropped nationally for decades yet we see no decline in innovation or ability of young folks to obtain higher education. The world is more complicated and technology brings more decision making and complication. Yet melinnials seem to do fine.

What I am getting at is IQ scores do a poor job of determining success or intelligence outside of the low or high extremes. Seems many of you are using an incorrect interpertaton of the score’s meaning. An IQ score of 99 born to wealth will likely fare better than an IQ of 125 and born in poverty as socio-economic status is extremely important in the USA and more so in other countries.

In other words 100 more factors are more important than 20-30 points differences in IQ scores. That’s why we don’t measure it for College entrance, or medical school entrance, or for any occupation really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 11:04 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Africans...a people that lived in a world that was abundant with natural resources, flora and fauna, had no reason go anywhere. There isn’t a single European account of a white man landing in Africa and finding distressed, starving people. There was no such thing. If you have proof otherwise, then post it.

Europe on the other hand...
Exactly! People don't realize this Africans we're able to flourish for hundreds of thousands of years without developing because they live in an area that's prime for human beings. Europeans only developed because they HAD to develop living in Africa and Europe are too different things. Honestly I'd say Asian societies were even better China was backwards, but was able to maintain a population of hundreds of millions before Europeans could.

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Part of the problem is semantical - what is meant by saying that someone is more intelligent than another individual? Really, what is meant is that one person does better on a certain test than the other, and some scientist has declared that the test used is the definition of intelligence. The latter is what is controversial in this issue.

Watson believes that the definition of intelligence is performance on a specific test. Others do not believe that, they think intelligence is more complex and should be tested in multiple ways. Watson could avoid a lot of trouble if he simply said that performance on the standard test has race-based differences but that does not mean one race is smarter than another, it simply means one race views the questions differently. It's like giving everyone an advanced math test and saying that is the definition of intelligence. Obviously there are people who are very smart but not in math, so using a math test is biased. The same applies here - the standard IQ test is generally thought to be biased.

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Well if you don't believe in science & it's not instinct, then what is it, faith?
It’s a made-up human concept.

We’re all the same species, minor variations aside.

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It may be bad for a society, but we live in a diverse society regardless and that’s an irreversible fact.

You don’t have to like diversity. In fact, I enjoy the fact that you pretty much hate it. But you’re gonna live with it anyway. I enjoy that fact as well. Lol
Lol, what makes you think I hate it? If I hated it so much, I for one would not be living in the US, and two, would not be living right in downtown Miami, three, would not have worked for civil rights enforcement agencies like the EEOC.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:05 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
What I find interesting is that, from what I can tell in this post, you have simply assumed that Watson's view is then one that is best supported by science.
I cannot speak for the OP, but rest assured many people know that PC is alive and well in academia and the scientific community.
One need only to look at well publicized incidents of backlash over anything that purports to explain things such as the differences between the races, male/female, homosexuality and now every possible sexual orientation with the every growing alphabet soup of LGBTIQCAPGQNGFNBA. Yes, sadly that acronym is real and continuing to grow.

So don't be obtuse to the perils of such things, as the research focus alone gets shot down often, much less non PC approved conclusions.

`

Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
It’s a made-up human concept.

We’re all the same species.
Think of race as a "breed" then? There is obvious differences between humans, we classify animals as different breeds and sub-species due to even less differences.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Africans invented the lip disc.
Luckily for you, white men invented both the Internet and the computer. That way, you can tell black folks like me what you really think without any human interaction.

Africans invented “slapping the taste outta ya mouth” for slick talking. But thanks to the white man’s valuable invention, you’ve been spared from having your yellow streak exposed.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I don't think the OP read the article at all.

He lost his some honorary titles, not his Nobel Prize.
Regardless it should not have happened. not to mention his views are based on some studies and no, I did not read the article.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Think of race as a "breed" then? There is obvious differences between humans, we classify animals as different breeds and sub-species due to even less differences.

It’s nothing mote than a classification made-up by humans. We’re all the same species.

Btw, OP, nice race-baiting thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies