Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
If there are severe genetic differences between races in some physical attributes like height (Bosnian women are 4 inches taller in average than Bolivian men, for example), how can you deny that there may be some differences between their brains also?
Science does not care about your feelings.
Bosnian and Bolivian aren’t races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM

482 posts, read 242,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I'm not sure if you know any Africans that have emmigrated to America, but from what I can tell these are some the highest IQ individuals that I know. The highest paid people in America are Nigerian Americans!! You probably don't know where Nigeria is, but it's in Africa, the biggest country in Africa.

The problems that face Africa are the fact that people are not closely related in many countries you have 1000s of different ethnic groups who don't speak the same language or believe in the same thing. What made this worse was European colonization "dividing" up Africa and forcing totally different people to "coexist". The people in Africa have more genetic diversity than all the people on the 5 other continent's combined. What has allowed Western society to flourish has been an homegenous population i.e. Scandinavia these people are all closely related same thing in China they are closely related so they think alike look alike, and act alike. Someone with low IQ however wouldn't be able to understand this though.
I lived in Ghana for 8 months in 1997 while working on a room-and-pillar operation. I know MANY Africans that have immigrated to the United States, and the reason these people do so well is because the discrepancy between the haves and have nots in Western Africa is not like anything people in a developed country can even wrap their minds around. Basically, intelligent people capitalize on both the less intelligent and less educated populations of these countries. They then take their wealth elsewhere. Now you have extremely intelligent and educated individuals with a strong financial foundation that also get the advantages of being a minority from bleeding hearts like yourself. It's a recipe that makes not flourishing a difficult task.

All that other stuff you mentioned is nonsense. The entire world was like that at some point. The reason sub-Saharan Africa remained the same while civilizations like the Romans, Egyptians, or even the Mayans developed advanced societies is because intelligence has a strong genetic root. As someone that has spent a considerable amount of time in Africa, I can tell you that as a collective whole, the prospect of most of that continent ever being developed by actual Africans is sadly not very likely because they will always be exploited until it is accepted that the rules of advanced societies cannot exist there unless they are enforced by advanced societies. That is the awful truth.

Also, Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa, not the biggest. Algeria is the biggest country in Africa. And if you're going to basically call someone stupid for not understanding African immigration, I would suggest at least spelling immigration correctly....SMH

Old 01-14-2019, 12:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you say "IQ is genetic" in a nice way, then you may be able to keep your credentials.

But if you say "IQ is genetic" in a mean way, then oh boy you are going to lose it all.
Being as most every idea they had about it, which were based on observation....not SCIENCE....has proven incorrect, it is fantastic that any scientists says anything. They should be hard at work studying it rather then spouting.

Watson, BTW, stole (or borrowed, or published without their approval) lots of his stuff from others who really were in the trenches of the DNA thing. It was one of those long stories where he got the PR credit but most of the work was done by 6-10 people in Britain and the USA (including a woman who did all the first actual photographs of DNA)...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosalind_Franklin
(yeah, she was Jewish...ha ha )
"her contributions to the discovery of the structure of DNA were largely recognised posthumously."

If IQ was "genetic", then white people wouldn't be near the bottom of the heap.....or would they be?

Currently
Japanese
Most other Asians
Jews
White people
Then everyone else including AA.

Like any scientist or engineer, I am learning more and more each day. I would have definitely believed the "Jewish good, AA bad" or "appalacian scots-irish illiterate" genetic stories but everything I see now tells me that was incorrect.

The Japanese used a government programs (mostly being nice to your children!) and raised IQ by 10 points or more in the entire nation. This would be impossible if is was genetic.

Israel, the "Jewish State" has an average low-90 IQ - same with "can build a nuke" and "best spies" Russia. Are Chinese and Japanese and Taiwanese really many times as smart as Russians? Or Israelis?

Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Almost every time I watch a sporting event I hear about various athletes pedigrees.

How their dad played pro-sports, their mom was an olympian, their brother plays for some pro team etc.

They talk about inheriting size, athletic talent, reflexes etc. etc. etc.

But the fundamental ability of the brain to be able to process things quickly etc. is considered racist quackery lol.

The problem is that years ago (and to this day) racists latched on to the topic and poisoned it with hate and overly broad generalizations generally linked to pigment. Especially considering that at the time they tried to excuse away lack of opportunity for education as not being the reason for lower outcomes.

The reality though is that there is a hereditary component to every part of your dang body, including your brain.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
All that other stuff you mentioned is nonsense. The entire world was like that at some point. The reason sub-Saharan Africa remained the same while civilizations like the Romans, Egyptians, or even the Mayans developed advanced societies is because intelligence has a strong genetic root. As someone that has spent a considerable amount of time in Africa, I can tell you that as a collective whole, the prospect of most of that continent ever being developed by actual Africans is sadly not very likely because they will always be exploited until it is accepted that the rules of advanced societies cannot exist there unless they are enforced by advanced societies. That is the awful truth.
The biggest problem facing Africa is that a large part of the world doesn't want it to be developed and an advanced society. Doing so would raise the cost of those vast resources and mess with the ability of advanced nations to do what they want.

It sounds like you truly believe your own statements like " intelligence has a strong genetic root", but my question is whether this plays out over 500+ years or more (the time it would take to prove this).

From a common sense perspective, I can't buy a lot of that statement for various reasons. First, the area where "Adam and Eve" came from is well located and still exists today. If you go there you will see faces that resemble every ethic group in the world.

Anyway, people from that area could just as easily go south or stay where they were...or they could go north. I suspect the finding of large seas and temperate weather and perhaps less tropical disease made the North the best way to go and survive.

The very idea that we would be able to judge an area and peoples that have barely existed (DRC) for 100 years seems ridiculous.

Egypt, with all that history, has a low IQ....perhaps burning the library at Alexandria was not a good idea???

Arabs have low IQ - yet Steve Jobs dad was Syrian.....one of those "refugees" that we now won't let in (from Hons, actually!). People joke that Poles are low IQ - Steve Wozniak is 170 IQ (as high as can be measured)...

I think IQ is relevant - to a degree - in the present. That is, to test literacy, understanding of instructions, pattern recognition, etc.

But I think a scientist, researcher or even a learned regular person should not be spouting things which are just being studied now...as "facts".

Old 01-14-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Being as most every idea they had about it, which were based on observation....not SCIENCE....has proven incorrect, it is fantastic that any scientists says anything. They should be hard at work studying it rather then spouting.

Watson, BTW, stole (or borrowed, or published without their approval) lots of his stuff from others who really were in the trenches of the DNA thing. It was one of those long stories where he got the PR credit but most of the work was done by 6-10 people in Britain and the USA (including a woman who did all the first actual photographs of DNA)...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosalind_Franklin
(yeah, she was Jewish...ha ha )
"her contributions to the discovery of the structure of DNA were largely recognised posthumously."

If IQ was "genetic", then white people wouldn't be near the bottom of the heap.....or would they be?

Currently
Japanese
Most other Asians
Jews
White people
Then everyone else including AA.

Like any scientist or engineer, I am learning more and more each day. I would have definitely believed the "Jewish good, AA bad" or "appalacian scots-irish illiterate" genetic stories but everything I see now tells me that was incorrect.

The Japanese used a government programs (mostly being nice to your children!) and raised IQ by 10 points or more in the entire nation. This would be impossible if is was genetic.

Israel, the "Jewish State" has an average low-90 IQ - same with "can build a nuke" and "best spies" Russia. Are Chinese and Japanese and Taiwanese really many times as smart as Russians? Or Israelis?
IQ tests are not always indicative as to how intelligent people are. They test things like spacial reasoning and short term memory, but fail to explore areas such as creativity or social intelligence.

With that said, look at the art and engineering that has come from mother Russia and compare it to most of Asia. The Asian countries seem to be very good at re-engineering things, but the the creations that have historically came from Russia over the last 300 years Trumps anything that has come from Japan, China or any other East Asian country. It could be argued that some races tend to be more creative than others. Having a genius IQ is only one aspect of innovators like Da Vinci, Einstein, or Tesla. It's their creativity that separates them from other geniuses. For whatever reason, there seems to be more of these types of innovators that are of European ancestor than any other people.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Funny how the left is anti-science when it doesn't fit their instinctual beliefs.
I mean - this wasn't the guys actual field of study. He certainly didn't win any prizes for his opinionon race.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Oh look, someone who didn't read their own link.

"Ninety-year-old Nobel Prize-winning scientist James Watson has been stripped of his honorary titles by a leading American research institution, after doubling down on his controversial conclusions linking race and intelligence.
Despite nearly half a century service to the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), Watson, a world-renowned geneticist, lost all of his honorary titles of Chancellor Emeritus, Oliver R. Grace Professor Emeritus and Honorary Trustee, for refusing to retract his own scientific conclusions.

In 2007, Watson was suspended from all of his positions held at the New York lab following a scandal centering around his claim about the "inherently gloomy" future of the African continent. “All our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really,” he told the Times newspaper at the time.

..and: “There’s a difference on the average between blacks and whites on IQ tests. I would say the difference is, it’s genetic.”

Either you didn't read your link, or purposely misrepresented what it said. He based his opinion on race, not only DNA, and he did not lose his Nobel prize.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:38 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Oh boo hoo, you’re just mad they’re upholding the standards of the profession.
lmao. Groupthink isn't a standard it's propaganda.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The biggest problem facing Africa is that a large part of the world doesn't want it to be developed and an advanced society. Doing so would raise the cost of those vast resources and mess with the ability of advanced nations to do what they want.
I don't think it's the biggest problem, but you are spot on with this.

Quote:
T
It sounds like you truly believe your own statements like " intelligence has a strong genetic root", but my question is whether this plays out over 500+ years or more (the time it would take to prove this).
To deny that intelligence doesn't have a genetic root is to deny reality. Smart people have smart kids. Groups of smart people have groups of smart kids. Socialization is a huge factor, but even the best parents in the world can't turn a dumb kid into a smart one.

If one believes in evolution, it would literally be impossible for all people on this planet to have equal brain function. As another poster already said, science doesn't care about your feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies