Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, here is the current order......

Hong Kong
Japan
China
European Jews
White People......
and so on.....

Of course, we could add sub-categories like Taiwanese, etc.....

Would you like a giant Foam Finger with "We're #5".....I mean, there aren't too many modern ethnicities, so #5 is further down the list. Moreover, it makes sense that the IQ of many "Real Americans" in Appalachia, etc. is quite low. How many innovations have come from WV and Eastern KY? Compare that with Denmark (about the same pop.) and you'd see a vast difference.

In Ireland, at one time, "Catholics (the discriminated minority) score 15 points lower on IQ tests than Protestants. " - same EXACT peoples and "race" and even ethnicity.

"According to one commonly cited study, 85% of all human genetic variation is intra-population,"

Translation - we make people dumb by poverty, misery, inequality and other treatment. 85% of the "inferior" genetics are in the same group.

Translation #2 - Watson is/was wrong. I understand that the thinking was different "back when", but as someone who helped with decoding DNA structure, he - of all people - should know that Science marches on.

In the field of science there is a say that "no one over 60 every accomplished anything". In reality, the real number is much lower than that. Einstein accomplished almost nothing after 30 and that's a general tendency...

Why would anyone be surprised that an ancient Watson watched Fox or listened to Hate Radio or read stupid theories and believed them? Sadly, that is something that older people are more affected by. No matter how much we talk, we cannot dispute the fact of cognitive decline.....evident in Mr. Watson.
Yes. Anyone who isn't politically correct or in denial knows that jews and asians generally have higher test scores and grades than Caucasians. But the difference is Caucasians in general aren't insecure about it because only liberals view EVERYTHING through a racial lens. It is only a generalization based on averages. IQ alone isn't enough to make you successful. There are many other types of intelligence and skills that combined matter more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:

Translation - we make people dumb by poverty, misery, inequality and other treatment. 85% of the "inferior" genetics are in the same group.
No, intelligence is like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder. People who are made out to be less intelligent are done so by others because that is how the others choose to view them.

Quote:

Translation #2 - Watson is/was wrong. I understand that the thinking was different "back when", but as someone who helped with decoding DNA structure, he - of all people - should know that Science marches on.

Watson was correct in so far as he defined intelligence to be the result of a specific test. But that is not how sociologists currently define intelligence. It is now viewed as being more complex than what a single test can measure. It is a sematical argument. Watson is sticking to his definition (which was the accepted definition in the 1950's) for his own purposes.

This has nothing to do with DNA and everything to do with trying to bucket people into categories with tests which are designed by the ones trying to categorize the others.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
So I keep asking this and nobody gives a straight answer.

For the people who believe blacks have lower IQ's,then we as a country cannot complain when they collect government assistance,right?

That means they cannot be held responsible for thier actions,right?

Old 01-15-2019, 10:41 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So I keep asking this and nobody gives a straight answer.

For the people who believe blacks have lower IQ's,then we as a country cannot complain when they collect government assistance,right?

That means they cannot be held responsible for thier actions,right?
First, you should pull the word "black" since it has nothing to do with your question. If someone, anyone, commits a crime and is deemed to be mentally incompetent for any reason, and low intelligence is one of those, then that person can be found by the courts to not be responsible. He/she would then possibly be put in an institute if the person is a danger to society.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:26 AM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
There are no third world European countries. There are no Europeans still living in tribes hunting with spears. All you have to do is look at a map of GDP and human development index.
There are plenty of 2nd world European countries. All you have to do is look at a map of Eastern Europe.

Quote:
The countries that are classified as Second World are, in alphabetical order:

Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan
Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria
Estonia
Georgia
Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan
Latvia, Lithuania
Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro
Romania, Russia
Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia
http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...rld-countries/

Old 01-15-2019, 11:27 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m not so sure that you can base too much on “the exceptions.” Being an exception implies something being in pretty short supply.

That said, I’m not gonna bother with this whole IQ thing too much. It is what it is. I’m black and I have no issue with having on average lower intelligence than whites or Asians. So what? People just like me have lived with this fact long before I ever had to. If whites can live with the fact that Asians are smarter on average than they are, I can live with the fact that whites are smarter than I am on average. I’m not gonna constantly bother myself with it nor am I gonna kill myself over it. I acknowledge it, then I move on.

I can still live a good life, make a valuable contribution to society, and be competitive with anyone as far as I’m concerned. I’m not a rat race guy, but I went to college with several whites and Asians that were much smarter than me, and I’m doing about as well as most of them with few exceptions. I’m not a high achiever nor am I at the bottom of the totem pole. I’m quite happy with my life station as it is and wouldn’t have it any other way. If my IQ were much higher, I’d be the exact same person with the exact same station in life...I’d just have a little more knowledge and maybe a few more bucks at the most.

All that said, I don’t know where folks wanna go with this IQ argument, but I have a good idea. But as long as they don’t try to use it to disenfranchise me, disrespect me or try to change the present societal arrangements, they can argue about it all they want.
I tend to agree with your statement, all I am saying that someone having a high IQ presents them with the ability to choose what ever field that makes them happy, people with average or low IQ's don't have that ability. I think for their survival they have to realize there place and accept it as fact. We need people to drive garbage trucks and dig ditches as well and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that profession, in fact these jobs pay pretty well now a day's. When I was in my early twenty's I worked for a plumbing contractor digging ditches for gas lines in very cold weather, I loved the manual labor even though the job didn't pay much I always felt as if I accomplished something.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
The anti-speech, anti-science Left strikes again

https://www.rt.com/news/448732-james...WmnDTR6NXKuqOM
Doesn't it only stand to reason that someone with a moniker like "wallbuilder," who I assume is a Trump supporter (correct me if I'm wrong) is also someone inclined to post a comment and story like this one...

Why does all this sort of inclination always seem to go together?

No hint of white supremacy here! No sir. What? Me racist?

CSHL found Watson’s newly voiced comments “reprehensible†and completely unsupported by science. After “unequivocally†rejecting Watson’s “unsubstantiated and reckless†opinions, the Laboratory stripped the 90-year-old scientist of all of his titles, noting that the institution “condemns the misuse of science to justify prejudice.â€

Damn left. I'll think whatever I WANT to think thank you!

Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Well, here is the current order......

Hong Kong
Japan
China
European Jews
White People......
and so on.....

Of course, we could add sub-categories like Taiwanese, etc.....

Would you like a giant Foam Finger with "We're #5".....I mean, there aren't too many modern ethnicities, so #5 is further down the list. Moreover, it makes sense that the IQ of many "Real Americans" in Appalachia, etc. is quite low. How many innovations have come from WV and Eastern KY? Compare that with Denmark (about the same pop.) and you'd see a vast difference.

In Ireland, at one time, "Catholics (the discriminated minority) score 15 points lower on IQ tests than Protestants. " - same EXACT peoples and "race" and even ethnicity.

"According to one commonly cited study, 85% of all human genetic variation is intra-population,"

In the field of science there is a say that "no one over 60 every accomplished anything". In reality, the real number is much lower than that. Einstein accomplished almost nothing after 30 and that's a general tendency...

Why would anyone be surprised that an ancient Watson watched Fox or listened to Hate Radio or read stupid theories and believed them? Sadly, that is something that older people are more affected by. No matter how much we talk, we cannot dispute the fact of cognitive decline.....evident in Mr. Watson.
Why are white people all lumped together, yet segregate out Jews that most are white, yet Asians are grouped by nationality?

If you are going to evaluate and rank something, the factors/variables need to be applied equally.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
China was an empire while the West was still gestating. Islam was an empire while the West was just learning how to toddle. If you look @ the populations of the colonial & then early US, the large cities there were basically big towns - Latin American (Spanish & Portuguese Empires) cities were comparable to European cities in size & amenities, early on.

China has risen & fallen & is now apparently rising. Rome rose & fell, the Spanish Empire rose & fell, Islam had its day & is still struggling to reconcile their history with their present circumstances. I don't think the development of cultures nor nations nor empires nor peoples is engraved in stone. Which is probably just as well. Someone has to carry the torch forward.
Islam was never an empire, in fact the middle east was a bastion of learning prior to the introduction of Islam. The religion of Islam actually frowns upon education. Do a little research and you will find I am right, Islam ruined the middle east and stifled there growth.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Lets say that such was true. What would be the practical application of such knowledge? Your favorite model minority, Asians, have higher IQ's than whites, I think I have read. Yet, the standard of living of the average white person in this world is multiple times higher than the standard of living for the average Asian person. Should not the smarter people be on top....if IQ....was really the determining factor?
Guns, Germs and Steel......and the "honor' of taking over much of the known world....is, of course, where most Euro wealth came from. It has little to do with IQ and more to do with access to water routes and a bit of the luck of the draw as to who put together the first guns.

The Chinese and Indians and others may have been intelligent, but intelligence is no match for cannon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies