Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, here is the current order......

Hong Kong
Japan
China
European Jews
White People......
and so on.....

Of course, we could add sub-categories like Taiwanese, etc.....

Would you like a giant Foam Finger with "We're #5".....I mean, there aren't too many modern ethnicities, so #5 is further down the list. Moreover, it makes sense that the IQ of many "Real Americans" in Appalachia, etc. is quite low. How many innovations have come from WV and Eastern KY? Compare that with Denmark (about the same pop.) and you'd see a vast difference.

"White people" describes a very large group. Since intelligence is inherited, it only stands to reason that some groups of Whites would be more intelligent than other groups of Whites. White people are not clones of one another.

It's the same with all other groups. The Igbo of Nigeria are smarter than some other ethnic groups and are resented within Nigeria due to that fact.

Within Japan, the IQ varies by region. This is normal. No ethnic group is uniform in traits, including intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 04:52 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You know who won't stop talking about race? The New York Times!
The NYT is full of racial opinions when it fits its political agenda, and deadly silent when talking about race or largely racial ethnic groups does not.

For example: the NYT consistently has lots of negative opinions about White people, or opinions that socially target and negatively effect White people.

If four million Jews were had been captive in the Middle East in an open-air prison for decades, and had been intermittently culled, then the NYT would have beat the drum every day until we went to war to free them. That's a certainty.

However, the NYT does an amazing job of keeping mostly silent in regard to four million Palestinians that have been imprisoned for decades in that region.

That's undoubtedly a large difference in editorial and reporting behavior by the NYT, based in racial / ethnic preferences. Or maybe its just that engaging in hostilities to free Palestinians would have us going to war against too many relatives of the staff at the NYT. The Palestinians are obviously unlucky in that respect.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m not surprised. Nigerians are the most brilliant people I’ve ever met outside of the Germans. If that country could ever get past its political and tribal issues, the sky is the limit.
I hope Nigeria gets it together politically. There is alot of potential there.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:25 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think you're right:

Old 01-25-2019, 10:39 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I think you're right:
With all of the talk about race, this can get very heated fast. It turns into a bashing fest quickly. It gets worse when the subject of Africa or Black people is brought up. There is potential that many do not recognize, either from ignorance or hatred.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Nigeria’s problem is complicated: too many ethnic groups living in one society. Switzerland pulls it off well, but they only have 3 major groups and all have apparently decided that the German group should predominate.

Nigeria has no such understanding. Their future is opaque until that gets worked out.

That said, this is Africa’s century. I hate that I won’t be alive to watch the full emergence of the continent. It’s gonna be amazing. China will be the main beneficiary while the United States sits on the sideline sulking and STILL traipsing around the world looking for wars.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nigeria’s problem is complicated: too many ethnic groups living in one society. Switzerland pulls it off well, but they only have 3 major groups and all have apparently decided that the German group should predominate.

Nigeria has no such understanding. Their future is opaque until that gets worked out.

That said, this is Africa’s century. I hate that I won’t be alive to watch the full emergence of the continent. It’s gonna be amazing. China will be the main beneficiary while the United States sits on the sideline sulking and STILL traipsing around the world looking for wars.

I honestly wonder if Nigeria will eventually agree to separate into separate ethnic nations like they were before European colonizations. I'd hope they can start to get along better but IMO a good option would be to form ethnic states or some similar sort of structure.

I agree with you and green mariner in that the 21st century is ripe for a rise for the African continent. They have a lot of resources, lots of population growth and a burgeoning view by the masses that being of Africa isn't a bad thing.

I remember speaking at length with a good friend of mine who is Nigerian and she provided me a short run down on the ethnic issues that have been plaguing that nation since really before it became Nigeria. They are very complex and interesting from an historical perspective in particular. Some even started during the Trans Atlantic Slave trade when specific ethnic groups dominated the capture and selling of other ethnic groups to Europeans. It is very complicated in Nigeria and many other African nations.

On the topic of the is thread in particular, I agree with Supachai in that "race" is not really something that can be measured in regards to IQ and contrary to what this man's slip of mind said - IQ is not anything that can be measured genetically because like craigiri mentioned, there are too many other chemical and environmental factors at play in intelligence. I know the racist amongst us seem to salivate over IQ and see it as the end all/be all for what they consider to be "success" (which is basically getting a lot of money and working for someone it seems from what they describe, or getting high scores on a standardized test). There are many different types of Asians and whites and black people in this world and we cannot be generically pushed into specific categories created in the 19th century. Watson, IMO especially knows this, which is why he admitted he shouldn't have said what he said. His comments were based on his social rearing and not rooted in genetics.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:19 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've always accepted the IQ differences based on ethnicity and don't give a hoot that there are various groups who, on average, have a higher IQ than me. It's quite obvious when I'm around someone who is intellectually superior regardless of our ethnicities. Since it's indisputable we should figure out how to best work with it, but it conflicts with current thinking.
I don’t believe that at all. I think the percentages of exceptional IQ people are identical across the board and then there are the rest of us average folks.

The problem is the putrid cultures that exist in the homes too many exceptional children are born into where they never realize their potential.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I honestly wonder if Nigeria will eventually agree to separate into separate ethnic nations like they were before European colonizations. I'd hope they can start to get along better but IMO a good option would be to form ethnic states or some similar sort of structure.

I agree with you and green mariner in that the 21st century is ripe for a rise for the African continent. They have a lot of resources, lots of population growth and a burgeoning view by the masses that being of Africa isn't a bad thing.

I remember speaking at length with a good friend of mine who is Nigerian and she provided me a short run down on the ethnic issues that have been plaguing that nation since really before it became Nigeria. They are very complex and interesting from an historical perspective in particular. Some even started during the Trans Atlantic Slave trade when specific ethnic groups dominated the capture and selling of other ethnic groups to Europeans. It is very complicated in Nigeria and many other African nations.

On the topic of the is thread in particular, I agree with Supachai in that "race" is not really something that can be measured in regards to IQ and contrary to what this man's slip of mind said - IQ is not anything that can be measured genetically because like craigiri mentioned, there are too many other chemical and environmental factors at play in intelligence. I know the racist amongst us seem to salivate over IQ and see it as the end all/be all for what they consider to be "success" (which is basically getting a lot of money and working for someone it seems from what they describe, or getting high scores on a standardized test). There are many different types of Asians and whites and black people in this world and we cannot be generically pushed into specific categories created in the 19th century. Watson, IMO especially knows this, which is why he admitted he shouldn't have said what he said. His comments were based on his social rearing and not rooted in genetics.
Nigeria is one of a handful of African nations that need an ethnic breakup. Outsiders just don’t understand how deep tribal loyalties lie. We live in western democracies where that kind of tribalism is hard to fathom.

I know this is Africa’s century. I can feel it. I can sense it from all the news I’m digesting from African and other foreign news outlets. The Chinese know it too, and have thrown all their cards on the table in a bet that it’s gonna happen. When many of these nations can get the IMF boot off their necks, things will change.

If I could only be here to see it. What I’d do just to get another 20 years of life beyond the normal lifespan. Lol

Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Its largely a self fulfilling prophecy. Once a groups gets a REPUTATION (that is valued).......it becomes an EXPECTATION that members CAN and will strive to live up to. Think of the placebo effect...or the nocebo effect (thinking negative).

Why does the little Island of Jamaica produce so many of the worlds top sprinters? It's because that became their reputation and now Jamaicans have that as an expectation of their CULTURE and they achieve it by putting more focus and energy into grooming and identifying sprinters from a very young age.

What one believes, whether one be an individual, a people or a nation, shapes what they achieve. That holds for intelligence as well. I really do not buy into any testing that supposedly can measure innate intelligence differentials.

This plays out in Africa among tribes all the time. Many tribes have a reputation for being good or bad at a particular thing and it becomes self fulfilling. I even see this played out in my wife's family in cooking. My wife has 5 sisters and each is known for making a specific dish better than the others. So when there is family gatherings, they will all bring their specialty dish. No one else gets good at making the other's dish because they don't put any effort into it because someone else is known for that. The person keeps getting better at making their dish because they specialize in making it.

Once you get a reputation for being smart.....you start putting more effort into being smart to maintain the reputation. Your culture will then FOMENT intelligence by putting a lot of emphasis on it, which in turn results in increased intellectual output overall.

The best way to achieve....is to believe.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-25-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies