Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Most of the info about the Phoenicians was gathered from the Hebrew bible and it was not very clear, so as a result there isn't much information to make the claims you are making. Hell, we don't even know how true this information is.
Actually most of what we know from the Phoenicians was from the accounts of the Ancient Greeks and Romans not the Hebrew Bible. The seafaring and exploring feats of the Phoenicians was noted in the histories of Homer, Hecataeus of Miletus, Herodotus, Pliny the Elder and Arrian of Nicomedia.

Herodotus went as far as to claim that the Phoenicians at the behest of the Egyptian Pharaoh, sailed around the entire continent of Africa from the Red Sea through the pillars of Hercules (Strait of Gibraltar)

We know they were the first to use celestial navigation. They taught the Greeks how to navigate and hence the the Pole Star of the Ursa Minor constellation is called Phoenike in Greek and Punic Star in Latin. Both words for the Phoenicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 03:45 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So I keep asking this and nobody gives a straight answer.

For the people who believe blacks have lower IQ's,then we as a country cannot complain when they collect government assistance,right?

That means they cannot be held responsible for thier actions,right?
Yes, that's pretty much right. It isn't anyone's fault that different groups of people have different average levels of economic success. This is the natural result of inherent group differences. Liberals who claim that inequality of outcome is due to systemic racism, and conservatives who put it down to a lack of effort by less successful groups are both wrong. There is no reason to expect level playing fields to produce tie scores.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Moreover, we have evidence of extensive seafaring between India and Africa. As regards colonizing, you might consider Australia the first and best example of ancient colonizing. Europe simply followed in the steps of ancient mariners.
Ancient trade routes along the coast of the Indian Ocean are probably the oldest in the world. Cinnamon for example was used in Ancient Egyptian religious ceremonies and for embalming mummies. Cinnamon is a plant native to what is now India and Sri Lanka. Essentially 4 thousands years ago there was a steady trade of cinnamon from India all the way to Egypt and beyond. Something to note: Our word for Cinnamon was derived from the Phoenician word for it (qinamon)

Old 01-15-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Charles Murray said this first in “Deeper Into the Brain."

"Try to imagine a … presidential candidate saying in front of the cameras, ‘One reason that we still have poverty in the United States is that a lot of poor people are born lazy.’ You cannot imagine it because that kind of thing cannot be said. And yet this unimaginable statement merely implies that when we know the complete genetic story, it will turn out that the population below the poverty line in the United States has a configuration of the relevant genetic makeup that is significantly different from the configuration of the population above the poverty line. This is not unimaginable. It is almost certainly true."
See, now don't you feel a little better about yourself when you take the trouble to quote people accurately and in context?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Actually most of what we know from the Phoenicians was from the accounts of the Ancient Greeks and Romans not the Hebrew Bible. The seafaring and exploring feats of the Phoenicians was noted in the histories of Homer, Hecataeus of Miletus, Herodotus, Pliny the Elder and Arrian of Nicomedia.

Herodotus went as far as to claim that the Phoenicians at the behest of the Egyptian Pharaoh, sailed around the entire continent of Africa from the Red Sea through the pillars of Hercules (Strait of Gibraltar)

We know they were the first to use celestial navigation. They taught the Greeks how to navigate and hence the the Pole Star of the Ursa Minor constellation is called Phoenike in Greek and Punic Star in Latin. Both words for the Phoenicians.
From the info I read, most of the info about the Phoenicians was from the Hebrew bible, But since I am not well versed, I will take your word for it.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:44 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A rice diet not real good if you want to play then the NBA when you grow up.

Walter Williams wrote an excellent article on the IQ gap and pointed out that in almost all other demographic groups males are disproportionately represented in the highest and lowest iq scores but African Americans are an exception where females dominate in the higher iq scores. This cannot be explained by genetics. It points to environmental factors.
A rice diet does no one any good when it comes to sports. Not to say short persons can't play basketball. I'm just saying when it comes to sports, a well-balanced diet is important for optimal performance.

As for Black females and the high IQ scores, there is something I need to interject. I notice that Black males aren't encouraged to get the best grades, to go college/university for something other than sports. The "get educated and be a professional" encouragement is often given for Black females. And I'm speak on relative terms here.

Thomas Sowell mentioned in an essay that scores on mental tests often varied by region. Before World War One, Blacks from states like New York, Illinois, and Ohio scored higher on mental tests than Whites from Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama. Something to consider. Kentucky and Ohio border each other. Something tells me the cultural and environmental factors loom much larger than one might think.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
From the info I read, most of the info about the Phoenicians was from the Hebrew bible, But since I am not well versed, I will take your word for it.
Your sources don't seem to know much about ancient history then. The Bible mentions the Phoenicians sparingly and most of it is referenced to their skilled builders being sent to Israel to construct the Temple of Solomon.

If you are still in doubt, here is a map of the distinct Phoenicians genetic markers found around the Mediterranean. Which corresponds with the ancient accounts of where their settlements were located.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Spoken like a true conservative who doesn't like government meddling in our private lives. Welcome aboard!
Welcome aboard what?

Man, please. We aren’t on the same team. Never forget it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Not sure I buy that you are actually black. But if so, you are the single weakest, most clueless, easy mark poster on this forum.
That you "concede" to a pseudoscientific hypothesis that you clearly dont even understand, in a debate that seems to be totally above your head is moronic.
Lol @ pseudoscience!! Get real.

Ask any poster on here if I’m an easy mark. Guarantee you that few if any will answer in the affirmative.

Anyway, whatever dude.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Charles Murray said this first in “Deeper Into the Brain."

Ryan basically repackages the above argument in a neat, more politically correct package. He has a more eloquent way of saying "lazy," of course. This was the same interview where he cites Charles Murray.

Of course, in the Bell Curve, Murray concludes that the US government ought to abandon the welfare the state. Which, of course, sounds familiar is you listen to Ryan's constant desire to get rid of welfare benefits. This is in the "Bell Curve."

As much as you guys don't want to admit it, Charles Murray is a prominent intellectual in the conservative movement. Look up the praise Jeb Bush has for him.
I read the Bell Curve when it came out. I am about as far left as they come (live and let live, pay my taxes, all drugs should be legal, birth control free, etc.)......but I read it for what it was. Dry, for sure.

I could care less what "memes" the authors have become...I find the people become reactionary and often end up as caricatures of their former selves. He got such pushback on that book that the rest of his life was probably formed in a couple of weeks.

But let's stop for a second and discuss the book in the context of this thread.

The book is about particular social problems in the USA and how we might solve them with a more inclusive society. That is a noble aim and goal. The book is not "wrong", but is presenting information to back up suggested changes in our social and educational and economic inequality.

BUT IT REALLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. DNA science was really new at the time and studies about how quickly IQ can be raised (turns out it is quite quickly) were not a part of the book or study. This is an academic tome....not really something that was made to stand by itself as the answer to all questions about intelligence.

It is also very different to notice and write about the EFFECTS of inequality, misery, poverty, malnutrition, etc.....as opposed to writing about the causes.

No one needs to dispute the Bell Curve - first, because time marches on the book was limited in scope. I don't think our society took any cues from it - and guess what? We are doing worse because of that.

To me the Japanese studies (raised the national IQ by FAR with government programs) as well as the Irish Study (Catholics in Ireland having vastly lower IQ than Protestants) tell the tale...or at least a big part of it. Most of IQ is fungible depending on how well the "patient" is treated. To think otherwise would allow no explanation for those two items - let alone for why Jewish folks from Europe score higher than Slavs, Russians or many others from Europe.

In other words, Dr. Watson shouldn't be blabbering about stuff he knows nothing about. Surely, helping draw a picture of the molecule doesn't give one insight into how a mother treats a child?

Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I
To me the Japanese studies (raised the national IQ by FAR with government programs)
Japanese IQs rose because:

- Japan rapidly went from being an extremely poor country with many malnourished children during and after the war, to being a healthy, well-fed middle class nation.

- the Flynn effect saw a general rise in IQs across the developed world, including Japan, during the 20th century.
Quote:
Most of IQ is fungible depending on how well the "patient" is treated.
Actually no, beyond raising nutrition and healthcare to adequate basic levels, which has already been done in the developed world, we have not found a way to make lasting improvements in IQ. There are no government programs for that. We don't know how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies