Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 06:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Basically a sorry attempt to justify trying to measure intelligence based on race.
Intelligence is not "based on race". Nobody believes that. Different population groups simply have different averages. They have different average heights and weights as well. Does this mean that height or weight are "based on race"? No, it does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 03:04 PM

What to do with old deplorable scientists and their crimethink? Nineteen Eighty-Four meets Logan's Run.
Quote:
Here’s a sentence from Amy Harmon’s New York Times article gloating over putting the boot in on James D. Watson that deserves some attention:

“It is not news when a ninety year old man who has lost cognitive inhibition, and has drifted that way for decades as he aged, speaks from his present mind,” Dr. Wigler wrote in an email.

Note that Watson isn’t accused of crimethinking due to “lost cognitive capacity” but due to “lost cognitive inhibition.”
In the future we’ll need some kind of Logan’s Run-style system for dealing with the tendency of the old to lose “cognitive inhibition” — i.e., Crimestop — and tell unwanted truths. The old are the enemies of the intellectually genteel and thus must be dealt with.
90-year-old James Watson accused of losing crucial Crimestop capacity, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

Old 01-13-2019, 03:23 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Question.

If data suggested that liberals had higher IQs than conservatives, would you support policies that took that into account?

Red states frequently get much more federal funding for schools. But whats the point? Shouldn't the blue states schools (where IQs are statistically higher) get more since the red states will do less with it?
Additional federal funding is generally aimed at poverty. Also you'll find thinks like larger native american populations and so on and so forth.

FYI- that IQ study by state is *estimated IQ* with a bunch of adjustments you should probably make yourself more aware of.

Lastly, the IQ's in that study, prior to the litany of adjustments, are based upon core test scores from kids that aren't old enough to vote.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:22 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You're welcome.

There is no definitive explanation as yet. All we know for sure is that these disparities do exist.

Gee, thanks again for proving my point!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Gee, thanks again for proving my point!
Glad to help.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
We've taken the ostrich approach to genetics and intellect/IQ. By banning the very idea and not allowing discussion like this ("you racist!!!) we can pretend there's nothing there to consider. But there is and we are only hurting humanity.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is not true at all. My birth parents are low IQ, my adopted parents are high IQ. Despite what some people on this forum might think, I'm not low IQ. I'm not as high as my parents, but the environment that they provided definitely made a difference.

https://genetics.thetech.org/ask-a-g...e-and-genetics
On Average is the term in play. Not individual IQ's.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
On Average is the term in play. Not individual IQ's.
True of course, but I wonder what the range of IQ is for which pointing that out has any impact in a discussion like this... pretty narrow I'd guess. Any reasonably bright person already knows that individual data points cannot prove or disprove claims about group averages. Even bright young children understand this. But on the other hand, it seems that for anyone much closer to the double digit side of the bell curve this concept is too difficult to grasp, and therefore easily dismissed.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:31 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
I guess a lot of you didn't realize that the study your citing about IQ by state adjusts for (among other things) race and % private school attendance.

With the inherent assumption that blacks < whites < asians in terms of IQ.

Just something you should be aware of when linking up to the study and not delving into the paper itself.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
There’s no way to fix the mean IQ differences; Asians are always going to be smarter than whites and whites are always going to be smarter than blacks on average. Of course that’s not to say that there aren’t some blacks who are smarter than some whites and asians there are plenty but the average is impossible to fix. IQ is highly hereditary no amount of schooling can fix someone’s IQ, it can give it a little boost during schooling but later in life after your done with school it will regress back to the mean. 2 high IQ black people will likely have a smart child and 2 low IQ white people will likely have a low IQ child. All hereditary, very little environmental impacts.
IQ tests are not some benchmark for science. I think Watson and many others think that the science for testing intelligence is more scientifically valid than it is. IQ tests measure intelligence by testing skills. Different cultures emphasize different skills, and that's why IQ tests tend to have cultural biases. While heredity plays a role, and nurture plays a role, and environmental influences play a role, and personality plays a role, the fact is that intelligence expresses itself in a variety of ways, and IQ tests simply don't measure all those ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies