Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:55 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
Very happy to read about your outcomes.

Unfortunately, none of this will sway any of these anti-ACA/anti-Medicare-for-all posters here. They would have rather seen you dead than for any of their "precious" tax dollars going towards you and your health issues (and I'm being completely honest when I say that).

Prepare for a reply post that will blame you for something you "didn't do" or any alleged choices you've made to have required you to use the ACA. Just wait for it.

I, for one, am happy that part of my taxes would go towards your health.
Thanks! Me, too!
I had no health insurance at all for several years just prior, and during that time, I should have gone to the hospital after a ladder broke and dropped me onto my front steps. That accident broke 3 ribs and gave me a bad concussion. Luckliy, I live next door to an RN, and he strapped up my ribs so one wouldn't puncture a lung.
I still don't know if I recovered fully from the concussion; I never did black out, so I hope I did.

6 weeks after the accident, my broken ribs had almost healed. I came down with the bad H1N1 flu strain going around that year, and became very sick. I coughed so hard I re-broke all 3 ribs. In all, I was either sick or injured that year for nearly 6 months before I fully recovered from them both.

That was the year when I thought I couldn't afford a flu shot. I have gotten them routinely, but I was very broke and took my chances. It was the only time I have ever caught the flu before or since.

As soon as my state adopted 1/2 of the ACA, I signed up. 1/2 was far better than nothing at all, and I could afford the basic plan I signed onto. It's still the one I have now.

Once I did, I began getting a yearly physical for the first time in many years. Without them, one of the surgeries I needed would have gone undiscovered.

At the time my state signed up with the ACA, I was lucky enough to fall into the right age bracket that qualified for health insurance. But the younger folks, particularly all the young married couples with small kids at home, didn't.
They're the group who needed insurance the most. I live in a low-wage state where most of the young folks are earning minimum wage, as I once did at that age, and I had my own little kids then.

While I would take them to the doctor, they all had to be really sick before I would, as there was never enough money for regular health care for them.

So I pushed my state representative as hard as I could to convince him to sign onto the entire ACA, as did many others here. It never happened.

We lost a lot of our best and brightest young people here. As soon as they could, they left for a state with higher wages and more affordable health insurance for years. My state legislature dithered and dithered, but they refused to join the ACA completely for 8 years, choosing to put the poor's health care burden onto the counties instead of the state.

But my state had a referendum during the 2018 election that mandates our state govt. to adopt the other half of the ACA that was passed by a huge margin.

So now, for the first time, our state legislature has no choice but to join the ACA. The will of the people made it a law they must obey.

I'm more than happy my share of taxes are going toward the health care of our young families. Anything that helps them do better in life helps me too, but even if it didn't, I still know a lot of young folks who love living here and don't want to have to move away.

Happiness is infectious. It's a boon to those who have it, no matter what age they are, and a happy state is a productive state for all who live in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
What astonishes me is that nobody has made Trump an offer he can't refuse. You want a deal, Donny? Sure, you can have a wall. Just restore the Affordable Care Act to its original form and fully fund it. You get your wall, America gets health care. How does that sound?
Aca cost me a full time job and then I was fined for no insurance.

It's still costing people full time work.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
i'm still waiting for that beautiful infrastructure that was promised

Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i'm still waiting for that beautiful infrastructure that was promised

We need to build an interstate that runs along the border. Then at the last minute, tip it up on it's side.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pelosi isn't smart enough, to know how to wheel and deal. She knows how to tank economies, not fix crap.
The Democrats are tired of fixing the crap the Republicans create! The last time the democrats went on board with the republicans stupid ideas, they were blamed for years after! i.e. voting for the Iraq war. Ring a bell?

Old 01-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Democrats are tired of fixing the crap the Republicans create! The last time the democrats went on board with the republicans stupid ideas, they were blamed for years after! i.e. voting for the Iraq war. Ring a bell?
How dumb does someone have to be to honestly think one side is great?

Doesn't matter which side...

Old 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
How dumb does someone have to be to honestly think one side is great?

Doesn't matter which side...
The GOP has been a huge disappointment for years! They keep increasing the debt and NEVER take responsibility or accountability for anything at anytime.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Trump is a terrible negotiator that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, millions of dollars to startup his own companies, and has never had to work hard a day of his life.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The GOP has been a huge disappointment for years! They keep increasing the debt and NEVER take responsibility or accountability for anything at anytime.
True of both sides.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Trump is a terrible negotiator that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, millions of dollars to startup his own companies, and has never had to work hard a day of his life.
He's dealing with career politicians who refuse to negotiate. Watch body language experts break down Chuck and Nancy. Very telling.

If he was as dumb and lazy as you wish he was then he would have burned through all of daddy's money long, long ago, never built an empire, and be a nobody. But none of that hsppened, did it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies