Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He threw it in their face.... and the base's face........
Disappointing.
He managed to tick off both sides. Is that what he calls The Art of the Deal?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:17 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I hope he declares an emergency, so it goes to the courts and gets rejected. Then, finally, we can move on with the business of getting this traitor out of office.
Not subject to judicial review.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Well, you got one thing right. I have no respect for this president.

That's not traitorous, it's my right as a citizen in a free country. I am under no obligation whatsoever to pledge allegiance to anything, least of all to Mr. Trump.
I may be wrong, but I think what that poster is trying to communicate (albeit not clearly) is not a feeling that Trump specifically deserves respect, but that there is an inherent amount of respect due because of the office. I disagree with that though, and agree with you. There is no inherent amount of respect owed just because someone is the President.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The pundits are saying....only pundits and republican leadership even watched or listened......

They are also saying, and I agree, that if Trump had actually went about this in the time-honored way and met with the House Leadership and other important parties, the deal may have been close to floating.

That's the BIG problem with Trump. He walks out, insults you and then asks you to make a deal with him.....behind your back! That's not the way other human beings work.

If Trump cared about Public Safety and all that stuff (imagine flying....with this snowstorm and TSA agents not getting paid, etc.)....he wouldn't be playing these games. He is obviously just wanting to save face at this point - we aren't getting an instant 25-50 Billion dollar Wall that Mexico is writing a check for.

But he is poor negotiator and I honestly think his "advisors" like Jared border on mentally ill (let alone terribly business people and unpatriotic Americans)....

Although I shudder to say this, Pence and McConnel and Chuck and Nancy should be ASKED...by the POTUS...to meet on a certain schedule (say both Mon and Tues) and come up with a couple serious proposals. The key is TRUMP CANNOT BE INVOLVED. The proposals should focus on what can be done AFTER the shutdown because giving in to a shutdown would be a bad precedent for the history of our nation.

That's really the only way I see out of it. TRUMP would prefer the entire nation, stock market and world economy to fail before he can admit he's not all powerful.
Trump was just making a public show of compromising, putting a deal on the table and offering real concessions, so that no honest person would ever again say that he would not or did not do these things. He and virtually everyone else knew the Democrats would publically refuse to respond in kind, which they actually went out of their way to do before Trump made his speech.

So the contrast is on the public record, in technicolor, for everyone to see.

Now it really would be a mistake for him to drag this out any further. He has made every reasonable effort and the Democrats have their arms folded and heals dug in.

For the good of the American people he must do what is necessary to break the deadlock and resolve these very critical problems. He must now declare an emergency at the border and build that wall. At that point the Democrats can cooperate, or leave it to Trump to work around them while they pout and call names. Or, they can grow up and meet the President halfway and finish passing these funding bills.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Show that there was illegal immigrants voting. Mueller is showing how Russia helped out Trump as well as Trump paying off previous trysts.
Attempted to influence.

There is no way to retroactively crawl into the head of each voter and know why each one pulled the particular proverbial lever that he or she did.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 PM

26,578 posts, read 14,449,955 times
so..... what time is curfew?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma777 View Post
the rumors are that trump's offering a daca deal. Coulter and rush will be furious if this is the case--they might even resign from their positions as senior radio host advisors.
ROTFLMAO

Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Trump was just making a public show of compromising, putting a deal on the table and offering real concessions, so that no honest person would ever again say that he would not or did not do these things. He and virtually everyone else knew the Democrats would publically refuse to respond in kind, which they actually went out of their way to do before Trump made his speech.

So the contrast is on the public record, in technicolor, for everyone to see.

Now it really would be a mistake for him to drag this out any further. He has made every reasonable effort and the Democrats have their arms folded and heals dug in.

For the good of the American people he must do what is necessary to break the deadlock and resolve these very critical problems. He must now declare an emergency at the border and build that wall. At that point the Democrats can cooperate, or leave it to Trump to work around them while they pout and call names. Or, they can grow up and meet the President halfway and finish passing these funding bills.
The Executive and Legislative are co-equal branches of government with a separation of powers. One of the powers the Constitution grants Congress is control of the purse strings. Period. Trump does not have the authority to order Congress to fund something it doesn't want to fund. Go read the Constitution if you don't believe me. That's why this was a losing issue for Trump from the beginning.

Trump is not the first president to not get funding for something he wanted. But he is the first president that shut down the government because he didn't get his way. And he's the first president that forced hundreds of thousands of people to work without pay because he's mad that he didn't get his way.

And now he's trying these desperate moves to find a way out while saving face, but there isn't one. There is no emergency, and everybody knows it. But like everything this president does, he never thinks anything through. He acts on impulse like a spoiled child. And this is the result.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The Executive and Legislative are co-equal branches of government with a separation of powers. One of the powers the Constitution grants Congress is control of the purse strings. Period. Trump does not have the authority to order Congress to fund something it doesn't want to fund. Go read the Constitution if you don't believe me. t.
The President does have veto power, meaning Congress initiates the use of the purse string, but cannot enact it into law, without either a POTUS signature or veto override requiring far more votes to do so than this or any future Congress will ever have.

No one has control when they need another branches' ok.

Trump should not sign a CR he is not 100% on board with.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Oh, this is hilarious. The only thing he accomplished today is to tick off his base, while doing absolutely nothing to resolve the situation. He uttered the most abhorrent word in the vocabulary--amnesty.

It's like he's trying to **** absolutely everyone off. And in that one thing, it seems, he excels.

This is comedy gold.
Rick Wilson using the moniker 'President Coulter' is funnier than people on CD using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies