Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 02:42 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Same way we do it here. Threaten them when they won't hand over their hard earned money.

Huh uh. Roshambo. Televised of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 02:49 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
How crazy -- look at how much more money is spent on marketing than on R & D!!?

Those commercials tempt too much. When they list all the side effects, I consider it a challenge to my honor. It's like they're almost daring me to take it. It's like that Fugu, if it's in front of me I have to eat it. If I didn't, it'd be like saying I'm a weenie. And I am not a weenie.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:09 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The cost of developing new drugs and medications is huge-often in the billions of dollar by the time the cost of "dead end" research that doesn't produce a salable product, the cost of years of animal and human testing is included and the cost of production facilities is factored in.

These costs are born nearly exclusively by American consumers, insurance companies and taxpayers. Without someone paying-these new, lifesaving treatments will never make it to market. So, US citizens pay the development costs-then after these costs are incurred, the drugs are offered to the rest of the world at a a great discount-none of the development cost, simply the production costs.
Drug companies get taxpayer funded government grants to cover 84% of the cost for the first research phase of drug development. And reports indicate that drug companies use a bit over 1% of their sales revenue on research for new drugs.

And half of America's drug research and development is done by universities and biotech firms (not drug companies.)

Drug companies spend 19 times more on marketing than on research and development. And then the drug companies get tax write offs for their marketing costs.

Big Pharma lies about R&D costs to justify illicit profits - NaturalNews.com

These drug companies charge Americans 40% more for drugs than they charge in Canada, 75% more than they charge in Japan, and triple the amount they charge in Denmark.

Drug company paid politicians and corporate news groups spread 'drug company propaganda' about the cost of research and development, and these groups lie about the costs of research and development to scare the public about lowering drug costs.

Big Pharma Pockets $711 Billion in Profits by Robbing Seniors, Taxpayers | Huffington Post

Eliminating tax breaks for pharmaceutical company advertising (Rep. Dan Lipinski) | TheHill

Tax Breaks for Big Pharma on Top of Unreasonable Price Hikes | naked capitalism

Last edited by chad3; 01-23-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The cost of developing new drugs and medications is huge-often in the billions of dollar by the time the cost of "dead end" research that doesn't produce a salable product, the cost of years of animal and human testing is included and the cost of production facilities is factored in.

These costs are born nearly exclusively by American consumers, insurance companies and taxpayers. Without someone paying-these new, lifesaving treatments will never make it to market. So, US citizens pay the development costs-then after these costs are incurred, the drugs are offered to the rest of the world at a a great discount-none of the development cost, simply the production costs.

Now, the question is-how do we get the rest of the world to help bear the costs of developing these lifesaving treatments?
Insurance companies don't pay a penny of the cost;their policy holders pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies