Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 09:11 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,716,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
noun
the act of conceiving; the state of being conceived.
fertilization; inception of pregnancy.

origination; beginning

Trying to sear one's conscience is not going to work. It is a life. It grows unless that life is terminated. It grows until it is able to live outside the mother. It is a human being, male or female. This baby has a heartbeat, lungs, brain, kidneys, sucks its thumb, hiccups, grimaces etc.

How anyone can feel noble about condoning infanticide is beyond belief.

Pro choice is not infanticide.

I'm probably not going to convince you that a fetus isn't a life, as that's basically the most intractable part of this whole debate, so I'll be brief:
  • A fetus can't survive on its own. It is fully dependent on its mother's body, unlike born human beings.
  • Even if a fetus was alive, the "right to life" doesn't imply a right to use somebody else's body. People have the right to refuse to donate their organs for example, even if doing so would save somebody else's life.
  • The "right to life" also doesn't imply a right to live by threatening somebody else's life. Bearing children is always a threat the life of the mother.
  • A "right to life" is, at the end of the day, a right to not have somebody else's will imposed upon your body. Do women not have this right as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 09:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 569,547 times
Hey, I did think of something pretty evil...hypocrisy.

A Catholic hospital in Colorado argued that a fetus is not a person in order to defend themselves from a wrongful death lawsuit.

In 2006 Jeremy Stodghill lost his wife and the two fetuses she was carrying when she died of a pulmonary embolism at a Catholic Health Initiatives hospital. Doctors refused to do a C-section to try to deliver the fetuses. Lori was at 28 weeks, which according to the posts on this thread is a viable age. Why didn't these Catholic doctors try to save these lives, if life is precious and must be preserved at all costs? Why did these Catholic doctors let two babies die?

Stodghill sued the hospital for wrongful death and guess what argument the hospital used to defend their lawsuit?

Golly gosh gee - they argued that 28 week old fetuses are not people.

And they won.

I guess if there's money involved, fetuses aren't people, even to the high and mighty Catholic Church.

Still not as evil as letting priests molest thousands of children and moving them around the country so they can keep molesting more and more children, though.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,853,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Pro choice is not infanticide.

I'm probably not going to convince you that a fetus isn't a life, as that's basically the most intractable part of this whole debate, so I'll be brief:
  • A fetus can't survive on its own. It is fully dependent on its mother's body, unlike born human beings.
  • Even if a fetus was alive, the "right to life" doesn't imply a right to use somebody else's body. People have the right to refuse to donate their organs for example, even if doing so would save somebody else's life.
  • The "right to life" also doesn't imply a right to live by threatening somebody else's life. Bearing children is always a threat the life of the mother.
  • A "right to life" is, at the end of the day, a right to not have somebody else's will imposed upon your body. Do women not have this right as well?
All these "advocates" speaking out for women. Who speaks out for the babies? They can't cry out for themselves, only when they are being painfully aborted can they cry out. It's too late then.

These babies didn't asked to be conceived.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,610,797 times
Quote:
noun

origination; beginning

Trying to sear one's conscience is not going to work. It is a life. It grows unless that life is terminated. It grows until it is able to live outside the mother. It is a human being, male or female. This baby has a heartbeat, lungs, brain, kidneys, sucks its thumb, hiccups, grimaces etc.

How anyone can feel noble about condoning infanticide is beyond belief.
You realize you don't actually have the word you are trying to show a definition for, right? You only have the definition itself? So, try again on that one.

I don't need to "sear my conscience". I have my beliefs, and you have yours. You're a fanatical about it, I'm not. Your mind will never be swayed, and I am not trying to sway it.

The FACT is, you guys are misrepresenting what the law says, and what it allows. Put plainly, you are lying. You are using hyperbole to try and make your point, and it only weakens it. In reality, I don't approve of abortion after about week 23-24, since that is the time that the fetus could potentially live outside the womb. I am also not so stupid that I can't see where they are sometimes necessary, and are not in any way, shape, or form common.

But hey, I have a definition for you, since you seem to be so weak in that department...

in·fan·ti·cide Dictionary result for infanticide
/inˈfan(t)əˌsīd/Submit
noun
the crime of killing a child within a year of birth.
"cases of infanticide often involve extreme emotional disturbance"
a person who kills an infant, especially their own child.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I'm not the one who thinks it is necessary so people who are in favor of this should be providing statistics to those that are skeptical of it. It should be shouted from the rooftops "look how many women's lives will be saved!" if we just allow women to have an abortion in the last three months of pregnancy. If you're going to use saving women's lives as a reason for it then proponents should be able to provide statistics on how it will be a benefit. That is how proposing legislation works. Persuade us if your cause is noble.
Doesn't ONE woman's life matter enough to support this law? How many women do you believe should die, or be rendered infertile, or suffer, before it's enough women to warrant a law to protect them? The law is about non-viable fetuses and the well-being of pregnant women. Isn't their well-being a priority? Or not?

Old 02-01-2019, 09:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times
Quote:
All these "advocates" speaking out for women. Who speaks out for the babies? They can't cry out for themselves, only when they are being painfully aborted can they cry out. It's too late then.

They didn't ask to have congenital abnormalities that render them non-viable, either. Do you not understand that you are demanding that their suffering be increased?

Old 02-01-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What does that have to do with infanticide (homicide) laws?
Nothing. That was the point.... Just like infanticide laws have nothing to do with abortion.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,716,917 times
Quote:

A fetus is not a baby.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They didn't ask to have congenital abnormalities that render them non-viable, either. Do you not understand that you are demanding that their suffering be increased?
They only care about the fetus, not the baby. In other words, they don't give a crap if it suffers after it comes out of the womb, they only care that the woman be forced to birth it. After the birth, it's someone else's problem.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:36 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,853,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
You realize you don't actually have the word you are trying to show a definition for, right? You only have the definition itself? So, try again on that one.

I don't need to "sear my conscience". I have my beliefs, and you have yours. You're a fanatical about it, I'm not. Your mind will never be swayed, and I am not trying to sway it.

The FACT is, you guys are misrepresenting what the law says, and what it allows. Put plainly, you are lying. You are using hyperbole to try and make your point, and it only weakens it. In reality, I don't approve of abortion after about week 23-24, since that is the time that the fetus could potentially live outside the womb. I am also not so stupid that I can't see where they are sometimes necessary, and are not in any way, shape, or form common.

But hey, I have a definition for you, since you seem to be so weak in that department...

in·fan·ti·cide Dictionary result for infanticide
/inˈfan(t)əˌsīd/Submit
noun
the crime of killing a child within a year of birth.
"cases of infanticide often involve extreme emotional disturbance"
a person who kills an infant, especially their own child.
Well then pat yourself on the back for feeling so superior for pushing strongly to dismiss the murder of human babies as merely taking out the garbage.

conception[kuh n-sep-shuh n]
noun

origination; beginning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies