Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
My issue is waste. Why are public schools more expensive than private which are often better than their "free" counterparts? Is it regulation? Is it just waste? Is it too little or too much oversight? I don't have kids, so I don't pay any attention to the schools around here, although I bought a house in the "good" district.

Gee, how much effort have you expended to find out? You can't just suck at the von Mises teat your whole adult life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If the schools are not public, do not tax my property to support public funding of private schools.

I am happy to support public schooling (I would like to see it fixed), but don't want my taxes going to wackaloons who disagree with simple science or don't know how toteach.
And I don't want my tax money spent on endoctrination of children into becoming good little citizens that are taught history and not encouraged to research history and in turn understand history. Same goes for economics and government. But that's what we have today with the public school system.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse
My issue is waste. Why are public schools more expensive than private which are often better than their "free" counterparts? Is it regulation? Is it just waste? Is it too little or too much oversight? I don't have kids, so I don't pay any attention to the schools around here, although I bought a house in the "good" district.
Factually incorrect public schools are much cheaper than private schools. By about a factor of 2 around here.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
If public school were abolished I would be out of a job.
Why? You couldnt get a job if it was privately managed? That doesnt say a lot about your qualifications.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Then go to the school board or talk with Bush about NCLB.

I have no children, was privately educated and do not want to pay for anything other than public education. An education that everyone qualifies for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
And I don't want my tax money spent on endoctrination of children into becoming good little citizens that are taught history and not encouraged to research history and in turn understand history. Same goes for economics and government. But that's what we have today with the public school system.
You might try some public education yourself, it’s INdoctrination. You’re right, no need to know economics, government or history. Who cares if you can balance a checkbook, understand how your government works or what happened in the past. These are basic skills like reading and math. Do you object to them, too?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:56 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
That is ashame, when I went to my private college that I paid for, I demanded that my teachers got me what I needed. Seems a pity to pay alot of money for nothing, why didn't you change schools, there must have been tons of schools out there competing for you money who would have met your needs.
Architecture. There were 2 in NC, one in SC. I'm a Carolina native. Not planning to leave. I love what I do, I just should have stopped attending college after my second year. It was all theory. My high school prepared me for nothing.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:57 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
In theory, I'd love to see public school as it now stands abolished. I disagree with the whole premise of "public indoctrination" of children.

Realistically, though, I can't see how it would work. Too many families have both parents working, or else they only have one parent in the home, and there is simply no one available to watch the children. Therefore, those kids (some of whom have behavioral problems and DON'T want to be there) would still be sent along to some sort of school, as a means of daycare. People would not be leaving their 8 and 10 year olds home alone all day every day. At least I would hope that they wouldn't!

And who would pay for the private schools? The families themselves? Those who wanted to send their kids to school but could not afford the tuition... what would happen to those kids?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
Quote:
You’re right, no need to know economics, government or history. Who cares if you can balance a checkbook, understand how your government works or what happened in the past. These are basic skills like reading and math. Do you object to them, too?
I think what the poster meant was that she (he?) objected to children being force-fed facts instead of being given to tools to find information and understand the knowledge imparted. Memorizing a list of historical names and dates means nothing if you do not understand the hows and whys and implications.... and yet that is what kids are expected to do in school: memorize, regurgitate for the test, and forget it.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
You can thank no child left behind for most of that.

I think it's important to understand basic economics (tell me what grade/high school really gets deeply into the topic); basic history including dates to use as a perspective; and how the government works.

I'm more fearful of religious wackaloons teaching only religious wackaloon stuff to the kids, that is dangerous.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times
Quote:
Then go to the school board or talk with Bush about NCLB.

I have no children, was privately educated and do not want to pay for anything other than public education. An education that everyone qualifies for.

You might try some public education yourself, it’s INdoctrination. You’re right, no need to know economics, government or history. Who cares if you can balance a checkbook, understand how your government works or what happened in the past. These are basic skills like reading and math. Do you object to them, too?
Excuse me for my mistake miss perfection. I do care if people can balance a checkbook, understand how government works, and how different people recorded events of the past. I just don't care for government schools to push their agenda on our children. NCLB is the worst offender, creating an environment where "facts" are tested rather than answers explored. Yet I am forced to spend my money to fuel their INdoctrination system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies