Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 03:12 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Don’t really get you guys. On the one hand you want Trump to take it to the elites because screw them yet a 29 year old normal person isn’t elite enough to be in politics?
Where did I say that? All I did was point out how silly your claim of her “running her own press firm” was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 03:13 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Where did I say that? All I did was point out how silly your claim of her “running her own press firm” was.
That’s what it was tho I didn’t say it was a good one but the poster implied that she’s just some dumb bartender and I was making the point that she did other things.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:31 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
That’s what it was tho I didn’t say it was a good one but the poster implied that she’s just some dumb bartender and I was making the point that she did other things.
My search to locate anything published by Brook Avenue Press came up empty. All I found was her YouTube video. Her financial disclosure form shows essentially only her bartender income for the past two years. If it looks like a duck...

http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/f...8/10021221.pdf

Old 01-26-2019, 03:39 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Why didn't she do more with that economics degree than work as a bartender then?

Other people in Congress are often morons as well, but Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez just doesn't come across as highly knowledgeable about...anything.
Considering her age, and remembering the necessities of life I faced when I was her age, I think Ocasio-Cortez simply needed a job that could pay her bills and keep her going while she looked for a better job using her degree.
She isn't the first young adult who had to do that. I did, too, along with a lot of other folks I knew. And it's nothing new, either- times were tough over 40 years ago when when I went looking for a good job that fit my training and qualifications.

The thing about the young is they never know when any opportunity will appear. Or what will come along with any opportunity. When one comes, they just grab it and learn what the job really requires afterward.

And since the young are more flexible and are easier to adapt to the unforseen, they have the confidence they'll learn how to perform in their work as they go to it. And they usually do learn how to perform very well.

If they don't, then they're fired or they quit.

For the young, any change of life's direction always brings new opportunities. Alexandria never gave a thought to politics when she took her job as a bartender, but when she saw there was a sudden opportunity for her in politics, even though it was the longest of long-shots, she went for it.

Why not? She had nothing at all to lose by doing so. If she lost, it wasn't going to harm her any. She has none of the baggage of family, husband, home ownership, or any of the other concerns older adults have. In her eyes, losing wasn't going to get her fired, so why not give it a shot? That's how young people think.

For sure, she's not knowledgeable about what her new job as Representative really is or isn't. But then, few freshman Representatives know anything at all about what their job entails, either, especially when they are so ambitious they haven't waited and gained the experience that comes from age and time on a job.

The one thing Ocasio-Cortez was given was a strong mandate by her people to go to Washington and make things better for them if she could. They had confidence that she can do that, so for her, it's a matter of proving up her abilities to her people. They are now her first and only concern.

But with a little time in the job, most Representatives come to learn they also have a responsibility to the rest of us as well, though it may be lesser.

She has to act for those who live in her district and voted for the other person, and has to act for all the strangers who don't know her and she doesn't know too, sometimes.

As a freshman, she'll soon learn that governing is a group endeavor. She'll get what she wants only if she helps others get what they want.

Lone wolves never do well in Congress.
They don't always get fired by the voters for being a lone wolf, but they seldom get the chance to deliver what they promise because they are shut out from all the ways that makes delivery possible.

Since she's only been on the job for a month, only time will tell.
Right now, all I see is the same fire that all the freshman tea partiers had when they were first elected in 2010.

She's only one of a bunch of similar young people who are in the same position though; the only difference between her and the others is the amount of attention she got as a surprise winner of a race that no one thought she could win. They will all have to learn the delicate balance it takes to survive as a Representative.

They all have a short learning curve. By this time next year, we will all see just how much she's learned or not.

There have been many geniuses and morons in Congress before, but those who have been elected more than once or twice have all learned what it takes to keep their people happy while balancing that with the greater needs of the nation as a whole.

As long as her voters are happy, Ocasio-Cortez can be a moron for the next 20 years or more and keep her seat in the House.
As long as she shows up and votes every time she needs to vote, it's really all she must do to keep her job, and many others have been in the House forever by doing just that. Voting how their leaders tell them is really easy and usually quite safe.

Or she could become the next Nancy Pelosi if she's actually smart enough to learn what it takes to rise that far.

At her age, she could well decide to hang it up and never run again. That's happened many times before too. By 2020, she could decide to quit, get married and start a family. That's a very common ambition for young women of her age.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:41 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,713 times
Talk about apples to oranges... well, one “239 pound” orange.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:50 PM

1,279 posts, read 854,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Considering her age, and remembering the necessities of life I faced when I was her age, I think Ocasio-Cortez simply needed a job that could pay her bills and keep her going while she looked for a better job using her degree.

Nobody with a viable professional career and an economics degree from a school such as BU does that these days. Particularly someone who is as photogenic as she is. It's a strong job market and has been for the past few years, and having a gap in a professional resume, with "Bartender", would be very harmful, particularly at that age (as early-career earnings and advancement affect earnings and advancement throughout one's career).

Old 01-26-2019, 04:16 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
It's been years since I've been heavily involved in party politics, and from the outside:

1. I'm just repulsed by Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Trump, Kellyanne Conway, etc. They all just seem like nasty, dishonest and self-serving people.

Please tell me that there are staunch Republicans who are also turned off by these people.

2. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may be photogenic, but her only policy proposal seems to be "gimme free stuff", without thought for the consequences. Plenty of other Democratic leaders seem to care only about fighting based on ethnicity and grabbing free stuff.

Please tell me that there are staunch Democrats who are also turned off by these people.

If there are none, we're doomed.
I fall into neither one of these categories and I can tell you that YES I have come to the conclusion that Trump has been into some nasty stuff although I still doubt any Russian Collusion, and YES AOC is basically a communist who as you said, has given no thought on how we are going to pay for her freebies.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:06 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
It's been years since I've been heavily involved in party politics, and from the outside:

1. I'm just repulsed by Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Trump, Kellyanne Conway, etc. They all just seem like nasty, dishonest and self-serving people.

Please tell me that there are staunch Republicans who are also turned off by these people.

2. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may be photogenic, but her only policy proposal seems to be "gimme free stuff", without thought for the consequences. Plenty of other Democratic leaders seem to care only about fighting based on ethnicity and grabbing free stuff.

Please tell me that there are staunch Democrats who are also turned off by these people.

If there are none, we're doomed.
Why the excessive vitriol for someonewho's just giving another direction for policy? She thinks the mega rich can afford a very high income tax, so she's a moron.

Facts: taxes are the lowest they've ever been, our debt is the highest it's ever been, and the top 10% are the richest they've ever been but everyone else is stuck where they were 30 years ago. Who exactly is going to pay to close that gap?

Old 01-26-2019, 05:54 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why the excessive vitriol for someonewho's just giving another direction for policy? She thinks the mega rich can afford a very high income tax, so she's a moron.
Yes, that's right !!! Those last three words.

She is political entertainment. The undeveloped magnet for ignorance.
She is a puppy and people who would hate puppies would hate her too.
The puppy so cute and fluffy has the venom of the cobra. Her victims come to her easily.

Quote:
Facts: taxes are the lowest they've ever been, our debt is the highest it's ever been, and the top 10% are the richest they've ever been but everyone else is stuck where they were 30 years ago. Who exactly is going to pay to close that gap?

The only gap we need be concerned about is the opportunity gap and encouraging people to step into it. But it has to be there.
Democrats close that gap every time and that is what the little puppy moron is doing too.
Closing the opportunity gap by the false promise of equal outcomes. Equal outcomes can never be achieved and more and more will be taken trying to arrive at it.
That's the path for lower standards of living and poverty for all descending eventually into mass poverty and then chaos and mass crime. Remember crime is sold as ideas by leadership that sound good but are unsound in results. Its top down destruction.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:06 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,258 times
So far AOC earned my praise in her calls for Mitch. She drew attention to the Majority leaders absence during the shutdown and pointed out how Mcconnel has yielded control of the Senate to the executive branch to thousands of voters thru social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies