Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 06:12 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Nobody with a viable professional career and an economics degree from a school such as BU does that these days. Particularly someone who is as photogenic as she is. It's a strong job market and has been for the past few years, and having a gap in a professional resume, with "Bartender", would be very harmful, particularly at that age (as early-career earnings and advancement affect earnings and advancement throughout one's career).
I have a co-worker who was recently hired who also worked as a bartender in NYC. She also worked for an insurance company. NYC has many people doing two jobs. Bartending allows you to work nights and clearly AOC had political aspirations during the day. She chose freedom of schedule and still found a profession that likely paid her well and provided tips. You call her dumb but she is in Congress. More then you have ever done, hater. You hate because you have been told to. Trained to by Fox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 06:12 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh, one is a POTUS the other a lowly 2 year Rep.

Which of these things is NOT like the other......

Also, if wisdom comes with age, Trump loses every such contest.
Obviously it didn't help Hillary she lost to Trump even though she spent far more and was a much more experienced campaigner.

I'm not repulsed by either person. I detest Trump and always have and always will.
Mis Cortez is amusing, I dont think she is a moron, I think that she is an idealist.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:19 PM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
I don't agree with many of her statements but she has only been in office a few weeks, comparing her to a president that has been in office for 2 years is rather ludicrous. She has very little power but if you want to go after seasoned congressmen how about sticking with Maxine Waters for the time being or maybe another Mensa like Louie Gohmert.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 854,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I have a co-worker who was recently hired who also worked as a bartender in NYC. She also worked for an insurance company. NYC has many people doing two jobs. Bartending allows you to work nights and clearly AOC had political aspirations during the day. She chose freedom of schedule and still found a profession that likely paid her well and provided tips. You call her dumb but she is in Congress. More then you have ever done, hater. You hate because you have been told to. Trained to by Fox.
You're wrong.

I don't want Fox News (aka the Trump Propaganda Channel).

Your co-worker does not have a degree such as an economics degree from BU.

Nobody with a decent white-collar career and an economics degree from BU works as a bartender because the hours would be a huge detriment to performing well in the white-collar job, and the time involved would be better spent networking and doing professional development in the white-collar job.

I don't hate anyone. I just have zero tolerance for lying (thus I dislike Trump) and a zero tolerance for not making the most of opportunities (thus I dislike Ocasio-Cortez, who could have had a good career instead of electing to be poor and trying to take things from people who work).

Old 01-26-2019, 06:42 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,258 times
Quote:
You're wrong.

Nobody with a decent white-collar career and an economics degree from BU works as a bartender because the hours would be a huge detriment to performing well in the white-collar job, and the time involved would be better spent networking and doing professional development in the white-collar job.

I don't hate anyone. I just have zero tolerance for lying (thus I dislike Trump) and a zero tolerance for not making the most of opportunities (thus I dislike Ocasio-Cortez, who could have had a good career instead of electing to be poor and trying to take things from people who work).
Yawn.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why the excessive vitriol for someonewho's just giving another direction for policy? She thinks the mega rich can afford a very high income tax, so she's a moron.

Facts: taxes are the lowest they've ever been, our debt is the highest it's ever been, and the top 10% are the richest they've ever been but everyone else is stuck where they were 30 years ago. Who exactly is going to pay to close that gap?
She's a moron. Have you seen her statements on TV? Claiming that the military received a $700 billion increase in spending in one year, even though that's the entire military budget? Not having any idea how much "Medicare for All" costs or how it can be paid for? Answering questions with, "I don't know; geopolitics isn't my thing..." It's her JOB to be informed about public policy, and she's not.

If our debt is so high (and it is, due to Trump and Obama), then why in the world would we want to drastically increase spending, as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wants to do? Perhaps we're at a point at which tax increases are necessary on some people (and I dislike income inequality), but dramatically increasing spending will not help. Spending should be cut, too.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
There are plenty of people from her alma mater, with the same economics degree that she has, who work on Wall Street. Boston University is considered a good school and an economics degree from it should open doors in numerous economics-oriented jobs, such as analysts in investment banks.

She is a moron. With a bachelor's degree in economics, she should have had plenty of options, unless she had really bad grades or had no motivation.

With an unemployment rate that's the lowest in a generation, someone with an economics degree from BU should have plenty of options. If she had a degree in basketweaving from No-Name University, perhaps her options would have been more limited.

I finished undergrad during a near-recession and my classmates, particularly with economics degrees, did fine; the ones with economics degrees usually went to banks and other financial firms, even in a much harder job market and from a school that nobody much has heard of.
I have a sneaking suspicion that she would not consider working on Wall Street to be a dream job.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Yawn.
Go for it. Disprove my factual statements.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:04 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
You're wrong.

I bartended when I first got started in law, it’s easy money.

I don’t see why you have such a low opinion of bartenders? It’s good money.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that she would not consider working on Wall Street to be a dream job.
Then she can work for a social justice investment fund or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies