Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:46 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,807 times

Advertisements

Someone committed a crime and was arrested for it. Sounds like the legal/justice system is working as intended
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:52 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Someone committed a crime and was arrested for it. Sounds like the legal/justice system is working as intended
If there's justice, the guy won't get his gun back.

I'm not holding my breath on that.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

He was arrested on felony charges, if he’s convicted why would he get his gun back?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:59 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Saying something rude to a person is one thing but reacting with a gun is out of line. Seriously, I wonder what the most realistic way to handle local gun violence is.
Well, that one is shockingly easy to understand why but there is no political will or $$$ to address it.

There are states with huge % of the population owning guns and they have gun violence rates similar to Canada.

So, what is the problem in the US?

Predominantly it's poverty, drugs and gangs with the vast majority of gun violence occurring in this country in a relatively small number of zipcodes.

Chicago for example has neighborhoods just 3 miles apart with all the same laws, police etc. with gun violence rates 30x higher per capita than each other. People with jobs and a future aren't out running around dealing and shooting. Per Chicago Police 80% of the vicitims of gun violence in their city are involved in gangs\drugs....or around 400 per year.

As for stopping the school shooter types, sadly you can't. If they'd don't use a gun....they use a moving van....or arson....or something else.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:03 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:

Here are the applicable laws for felons owning guns in FL.
If you're concerned about him getting off easy, I'd make sure to write a note to the prosecutor and hold their feet to the fire not to let this guy off with a non-felony charge.

That points out a very real problem, laws are in place to prevent this guy from legally owning guns in the future, laws I think we agree upon 100%.
However, if your local prosecutor is letting them off with wrist slaps then that's up to you and your fellow local residents to make sure you pressure or vote them out if that's what they're doing.

In my area, no way is that guy getting off easy.

https://www.megajustice.com/convicte...es-in-florida/

Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Here are the applicable laws for felons owning guns in FL.
If you're concerned about him getting off easy, I'd make sure to write a note to the prosecutor and hold their feet to the fire not to let this guy off with a non-felony charge.

That points out a very real problem, laws are in place to prevent this guy from legally owning guns in the future, laws I think we agree upon 100%.
However, if your local prosecutor is letting them off with wrist slaps then that's up to you and your fellow local residents to make sure you pressure or vote them out if that's what they're doing.

Good points.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
here are the applicable laws for felons owning guns in fl.
If you're concerned about him getting off easy, i'd make sure to write a note to the prosecutor and hold their feet to the fire not to let this guy off with a non-felony charge.

That points out a very real problem, laws are in place to prevent this guy from legally owning guns in the future, laws i think we agree upon 100%.

lol

Old 02-02-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
He was arrested on felony charges, if he’s convicted why would he get his gun back?
I'm not holding my breath on a conviction.

"The guy had it coming. He called me RUDE."

Old 02-02-2019, 08:53 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:

It’s wasted energy to get worked up over this. He was immediately arrested on felony charges which is more than can be said of hundreds, if not thousands of actual murderers. Look at the homicide clearance rate of Chicago, for instance.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:53 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,807 times
Quote:

And you are basing this on what real life incident(s) where someone shot another person over nothing more than an insult and got off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies