Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 11:29 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
letting people keep more of THEIR money is not a subsidy. idiotic comment
100% correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:36 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Really? Did you not know that blue states help fund red states? You think you're doing all that by yourself? LOL.
https://www.apnews.com/2f83c72de1bd440d92cdbc0d3b6bc08c
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...12-column.html
Both links you provide make entirely different claims:

The first one is correct, in that a number of states with higher wages pay more federal income tax. No argument there, that's a point just about everyone should agree with. But then it takes us to the point that well....shouldn't people making more money pay more in taxes? Kinda an entire plank from the party there so using it as a refutation makes me scratch my head.

The second link references partisan junk studies and ignores a number of key economic considerations like public goods. (ie. Monies for things like interstate highways, nuclear waste repositories, military bases, indian reservations and so on and so forth.) There are other issues, many other issues, but I digress.

While a good study might reach a similar (if less extreme) conclusion
, I've yet to see a good one that could be presented at an economic or statistical conference and not get laughed out of the room like you just entered a pot bellied pig in the Westminster dog show.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:43 AM
nng

695 posts, read 289,555 times
It actually angers me that trump supporters are full of glee because the middle class in blue states are being taxed more. trump seems to be a petty vindictive con man. No class whatsoever. I live in a red state in the south, but I am not celebrating the fact hard working middle class people in blue states have to pay more. I guess trump supporters have no problem with the fact that red states take more money from the Feds than blue states. Self righteous hypocrites some trump supporters are. I really hope a dem gets elected in 2020 that will wipe the smile off the faces of the MAGA crowd.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:46 AM

23,560 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Multiple supporters of President Donald Trump over the past couple of weeks have taken to Twitter to air their grievances about the president’s signature tax cut plan. Here's one example.

https://twitter.com/973angie/status/1088151062111023104

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/tru...gops-tax-plan/

I suspect there is going to be much more of this as more people realize how badly Trump and the GOP screwed the middle class.
best find a better news source you can trust

Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
It actually angers me that trump supporters are full of glee because the middle class in blue states are being taxed more. trump seems to be a petty vindictive con man. No class whatsoever. I live in a red state in the south, but I am not celebrating the fact hard working middle class people in blue states have to pay more. I guess trump supporters have no problem with the fact that red states take more money from the Feds than blue states. Self righteous hypocrites some trump supporters are. I really hope a dem gets elected in 2020 that will wipe the smile off the faces of the MAGA crowd.
You're failing to recognize that blue states taxed their residents more at the expense of everyone else due to the federal SALT tax deduction. Trump and the Republicans were correct in ending that tax loophole. Lower-taxed states no longer have to subsidize CA, NY, IL, etc. Those who reside in such states now have to pay their fair share.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:51 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Lol. Never trust a snake oil peddler.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:51 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Perhaps these people should look to their own states "leaders" and ask why are they taking them so much.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
In ANY tax change there will always be winners and losers. In this case, I'd venture to say that far more of the middle class is receiving a tax reduction than paying more. Now for those bi-ching about the impact due to higher state taxes, he solution is simple.....quit voting for those idiots that are intent or raising your taxes! They WILL get the message! Another option is to do what many in NY, NJ, CA, etc are doing.....move to a lower tax area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Perhaps these people should look to their own states "leaders" and ask why are they taking them so much.
That is EXACTLY what should happen.

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I love it - I'm getting way more back - so no one is screwing me - but you hate Trump - so you'll take everything and turn it against him.
Well as long as you are good -- the rest of us will just have to cope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies