Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 04:45 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Thank you for telling me how I should think, LOL. I've explained why your posts about the Democratic Party changing it's name makes no sense.

By the way, there is a Confederate Monument in front of my favorite building here in Lancaster, the old County Court House. I am not aware that there has been a concerted effort to have it removed, but if their were, I would protest the removal effort. The monument has been there for over a hundred years. It was not one of these erected because of the Civil Rights movements of the 60s or 70s.

I mention this because you cannot just assume what folks think based on the letter beside their name. Mind you, there are no flags on the court house grounds.
I have no problem with the monuments being removed if a majority of the local community wants it. So I think you are the one doing the assuming....

It in my view it is cherrypicking and hypocritical to complain about Confederate flags, call it racist, but then have no problem with using the Democratic Party name. I'm not making this point in the defense of Confederate flags. I don't care about the flag.

The other day the liberal eddie gein person on here asserted that I oppose Tillman Hall at Clemson having its name changed. That's not true. I'm not calling for it but I don't oppose it.

In fact, I have proposed renaming it Watson-Renfrow hall to promote racial unity.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Is the Confederate flag a symbol of white-supremacy? To who? Everyone?

The vast-majority of people who fly the Confederate flag are not white supremacists. And I find it both hilarious and obnoxious that they won't play the Dukes of Hazzard because their car has a confederate flag on top.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...te-flag-58510/

Who would have thought the Dukes of Hazzard was a show about white-supremacy?

So why do you believe the Confederate flag is associated with white-supremacists? Because some of them display that flag? But don't they also display the American flag? So isn't the American flag also associated with white-supremacy?

What is the difference? And please be specific.
Nice attempt at deflection and obfuscation here. Not buying it.

Well, they don't show Speedy Gonzales cartoons much anymore. And some of the early Tom and Jerry cartoons with a Mammy character in it are not shown, or edited out today.

If those folks who display Confederate symbols truly aren't white supremacists, then at the very least, they're ignorant, naive, or just not knowledgeable about what it symbolizes. It doesn't change the fact that it is a symbol of white supremacy over black people and historically it has been used often to denote white resistance to the civil rights movement.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Get you and your family off welfare!!
I killed my family.

Quote:
And if you have a problem, go tell blacks to their faces to get off welfare and stop being a coward.
I didnt need affirmative action of handouts like you did. Thats the cowards way. I made it like a man would. By my actions.

You said I couldn't speak for blacks. Make up your mind. Which is it?
Change your course if you care about blacks. Tell them to quit supporting big government and start supporting themselves. Tell your "people" to quit acting like criminals and juvenile delinquents. Get them off of welfare and handouts. Stop them from abandoning their children. As sonn as the handouts came, black unemployment exceeded white unemployment. That's what happens when you give the poor people handouts. All poor people. They take the money. Guess you weren't taught that growing up. That's a shame. oh well.

Granted you'd have to quit supporting progressive policies and covering for politicians because they are black. And that's the rub, for you it's not about the individual or policy. It's about skin color.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I killed my family.

You said I couldn't speak for blacks. Make up your mind. Which is it?
Change your course if you care about blacks. Tell them to quit supporting big government and start supporting themselves. Tell your "people" to quit acting like criminals and juvenile delinquents. Get them off of welfare and handouts. Stop them from abandoning their children.

Granted you'd have to quit supporting progressive policies and covering for politicians because they are black. And that's the rub, for you it's not about the individual or policy. It's about skin color.
You live in Texas. Lots of blacks around you.

Go walk into the black community with a bullhorn (they aren’t that expensive) and tell ‘em to get off of welfare Mr. “I know what blacks need to be doing.” You’re a real swaggering Texas badass, aren’t you?

Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nice attempt at deflection and obfuscation here. Not buying it.

If those folks who display Confederate symbols truly aren't white supremacists, then at the very least, they're ignorant, naive, or just not knowledgeable about what it symbolizes. It doesn't change the fact that it is a symbol of white supremacy over black people and historically it has been used often to denote white resistance to the civil rights movement.
Might it be possible that you are the one who is ignorant?

Do you know what the Dunning-Kruger effect is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOLmD_WVY-E

Old 02-10-2019, 04:57 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If the Confederate flag no longer exists, a new flag can be made. One that unites ALL southerners.
we already have one...…….https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...0&vt=0&eim=0,1

Old 02-10-2019, 04:57 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Might it be possible that you are the one who is ignorant?

Do you know what the Dunning-Kruger effect is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOLmD_WVY-E
Pretty much means you don't have much of an argument if you've had to do that. Frustrated, eh?

You can talk smack all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that Confederate flags and monuments were and are used as symbols of white dominance and racism against African Americans in the South, and will forever have that association.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,820 times
Quote:
Several events over the last view years have put the Confederate flag in the national spotlight. It is a controversial symbol and for good reason. I grew up in Georgia and kept hearing the same thing "it represents southern heritage" or "it's about my southern pride". I ask my mother and her response was "I'm southern but it's not my pride". I'll save how I feel about the Confederate flag for later in the thread.

Living in the South, there is one segment of the population that never says that it represents "southern pride" or "southern heritage". That is the Black population. 55 percent of American's Black population lives in the South. Most Blacks regardless of what state they're born in have ancestors from the southern USA (see The Great Migration). By default, the majority of America's Black population are southerners or have southern heritage. However, a majority of Blacks do not claim the Confederate flag as part of their heritage. I can testify to this living in Georgia.

Outside of the "Blacks are brainwashed by the leftists" gaslighting line, I notice very few people can or will answer this question: Why aren't Blacks embracing the Confederate flag as part of their "southern heritage"? This is an important question to ask because. There is a major contrast between how many Whites view the Confederate flag vs how Blacks view the Confederate flag. And there are legitimate reasons for this. However, I'm noticing that said question is not being asked.

By the way, if the only thing anyone has to offer is "Blacks are brainwashed by the left" or some photo of a token Black person brandishing a Confederate flag, this is not the thread for you. I've seen that tactic so many times it's like a broken record. Gaslighting at its finest.
The flag that most think of as the” Confederate Flag” is actually a battle flag, not the official flag of the Confederacy. It seems like white southerners pulled it out of the closets when the Civil Rights struggle in the 1950s began. Ever since then , it is generally meant to represent resistance/hostility to equal rights for ALL Americans and sometimes the use of violence to reach those ends.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:00 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
No one cares about individuals flying the flag. That thing flies all over your state in yards and pickup trucks. No one cares.
This thread is full of butt hurt idiots who care a whole lot so you're obviously wrong.

Quote:
It’s when States and municipalities do it that it becomes a problem.
Which states or municipalities fly the Confederate flag?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Pointed noted. You hit the nail on the head. However, this is a question few people ever ask themselves. If the Confederate flag is suppose to be about Southern heritage, but only part of the White population is claiming it, and African-Americans as a whole don't claim it as their "southern heritage" despite a majority of them being from the South, that is something that needs to be looked at. There is a major disconnect here. And many people either don't see it, or don't care.
There is no disconnect. As you pointed out, some Southern whites see it as a symbol of their heritage, some Southern whites and most African Americans don’t. So what? Who cares? The American flag isn’t a unifying symbol for all Americans. So what? Who cares?

What is it you hope to accomplish with this thread? You’ve stated several times that this is an issue that needs to be addressed. Why? Are you hoping that people will be expressing some sort of outrage about this?

Last edited by TaxPhd; 02-10-2019 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies