Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times

Advertisements

In his Cornerstone Address, Confederate VP Alexander Stephens, bragged about white supremacy and defended slavery, making reasons for the confederacy clear. He said it would resolve the differing issues about enslavement - these states weren't having it, they were committed to the cause. Exactly what about that makes you proud?

Flying the Confederate flag means you're proud that your ancestors took a stand to protect their right to own other human beings. That has nothing to do with being a Southerner, or pride about being a Southerner. In fact, many Southerners are damn ashamed by it. It's pride in the position they took.

You're the same people who pitch a fit when Mexicans fly their flag here or someone takes a knee during the National Anthem, stating it shows disrespect for and is offensive to (fill in the blank).

I guess you only care about disrespect and offending others on a selective basis.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,536,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
'Heritage not hate' would probably be the justification for continuing to use the Democratic Party name.
I know you think you're making some point, but using the naive thinking you are using, we should also change the name of the United States of America because we as a nation have done some horrible things in the past. But comparing either political party of today to what some members of the "same" politica lparty believed 150 years ago is, frankly, asinine. Guess what, some Republicans were racist back then as well as some Democrats. And get this. There are racists in both parties today. Neither party can claim the high road and it's sad that folks keep trying the same ignorant tripe in 2019

You need a new playlist

Old 02-10-2019, 04:08 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,416,255 times
I've noticed Democrats on here who don't seem to interact with Republicans think Republicans are big into confederate flag. Might want to try talking to Republicans every now and then. lol

Old 02-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I know you think you're making some point, but using the naive thinking you are using, we should also change the name of the United States of America because we as a nation have done some horrible things in the past. But comparing either political party of today to what some members of the "same" politica lparty believed 150 years ago is, frankly, asinine. Guess what, some Republicans were racist back then as well as some Democrats. And get this. There are racists in both parties today. Neither party can claim the high road and it's sad that folks keep trying the same ignorant tripe in 2019

You need a new playlist
I never said there wren't some racist Republican pols and voters back then. But GOP didn't have a racist platform. You no doubt want to rewrite that history as a partisan Democrat.

The only reason I talk about this issue is your party members are constantly accusing the GOP of racism. HOw would you like if it people were always calling you a racist because you don't vote for their party.

It doesn't make any sense to get mad about the Confederate flag but then not have a problem with the use of the Democratic Party name.

I think you actually use to say Republicans were racist on here and you've changed your tune on that for some reason. Probably because I have a pretty good playlist.

The GOP was founded by people who supported the abolition of slavery. So yes it can take the high road.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-10-2019 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,301,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
says who? is that an opinion?
Probably the majority of historians.

The timeline of when the statues and flags became prevalent are facts.

The CBF came into use in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s just as the Civil Rights Movement.

The reasons for the statues is probably a little more nuanced, but celebration of regaining authority is certainly one of the reasons. One of the statues in Louisiana actually celebrated a battle where black policemen were killed by a white mob of former Confederates at the close of reconstruction.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:18 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,278,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In his Cornerstone Address, Confederate VP Alexander Stephens, bragged about white supremacy and defended slavery, making reasons for the confederacy clear. He said it would resolve the differing issues about enslavement - these states weren't having it, they were committed to the cause. Exactly what about that makes you proud?

Flying the Confederate flag means you're proud that your ancestors took a stand to protect their right to own other human beings. That has nothing to do with being a Southerner, or pride about being a Southerner. In fact, many Southerners are damn ashamed by it. It's pride in the position they took.

You're the same people who pitch a fit when Mexicans fly their flag here or someone takes a knee during the National Anthem, stating it shows disrespect for and is offensive to (fill in the blank).

I guess you only care about disrespect and offending others on a selective basis.

his speech would meant something if Lincoln and the North didn't feel that much apart. Lincoln wanted to send blacks back to Africa because he said they weren't compatible with our culture and traditions...isn't that white supremacy?....splitting hairs now? LOL

funny, most people in the south didn't own slaves, hell slaves were taking their jobs and keeping wages down in the farms. They fought because Nothern intruders invaded their towns and burned their crops and forced them to pay taxes up North. The same reason Muslims hate our guts down there.

Mexicans flying their flag in protesting our government in our country is not only arrogant but ignorant.......go to Mexico and protest the Mexican government with the U.S. Flag especially entering their country illegally and scream at them and call them racists and see how they are going to react. They will shove that flag up your a-hole and deport you before you take out that pole flag out of your butthole.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:22 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,536,713 times
Quote:
I never said there wren't some racist Republican pols and voters back then. But GOP didn't have a racist platform. You no doubt want to rewrite that history as a partisan Democrat.
If you think I wish to rewrite history, I must not be making my point clear enough. I don't wish to rewrite it. I just wish to be able to move on from it. Neither political party are the same that they wer in 1860. By repeating the point you claim about the Democratic Party, you wish for them to remain stuck with the same traits they may have had 150 years ago. It doesn't work.
Quote:
The only reason I talk about this issue is your party members are constantly accusing the GOP of racism.
Yes, some Democrats keep saying that. So to combat that, instead of point out the obvious, you instead wish to point out that some Democrats were racist in the 1800s.
Quote:
It doesn't make any sense to get mad about the Confederate flag but then not have a problem with the use of the Democratic Party name.
I still fail to see what one has to do with the other and go back to the my point that you must want us to change the name of ur country since some of us were racist and did horrible things before. I typically do not get mad when I see a Confederate Flag hanging on someone's flag pole whether it is outside their house or on their 4X4. They have the right to fly that stupid piece of cloth. I'm not saying I do not make some assumptions about the kid of folks they are though.
Quote:
I think you actually use to say Republicans were racist on here and you've changed your tune on that for some reason.
Find where I have said that and please link to where I said it. It's not possible to ascribe one trait to an entire group of people.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:23 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,126,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Several events over the last view years have put the Confederate flag in the national spotlight. It is a controversial symbol and for good reason. I grew up in Georgia and kept hearing the same thing "it represents southern heritage" or "it's about my southern pride". I ask my mother and her response was "I'm southern but it's not my pride". I'll save how I feel about the Confederate flag for later in the thread.

Living in the South, there is one segment of the population that never says that it represents "southern pride" or "southern heritage". That is the Black population. 55 percent of American's Black population lives in the South. Most Blacks regardless of what state they're born in have ancestors from the southern USA (see The Great Migration). By default, the majority of America's Black population are southerners or have southern heritage. However, a majority of Blacks do not claim the Confederate flag as part of their heritage. I can testify to this living in Georgia.

Outside of the "Blacks are brainwashed by the leftists" gaslighting line, I notice very few people can or will answer this question: Why aren't Blacks embracing the Confederate flag as part of their "southern heritage"? This is an important question to ask because. There is a major contrast between how many Whites view the Confederate flag vs how Blacks view the Confederate flag. And there are legitimate reasons for this. However, I'm noticing that said question is not being asked.

By the way, if the only thing anyone has to offer is "Blacks are brainwashed by the left" or some photo of a token Black person brandishing a Confederate flag, this is not the thread for you. I've seen that tactic so many times it's like a broken record. Gaslighting at its finest.
Having been raised in Virginia, I am a proud native Southerner and do enjoy the many local historic Civil War parks and statues.

Now in the process (finally) of building our retirement home on the Louisiana-Mississippi coast, I enjoy the heritage and attitude of the deep South. There is no shortage of like-thinking folks where we're building.

I find the Confederate flag to be quaint and non-offensive. I still have my LSU purple and gold stars & bars flag!

It's unfortunate that some have taken it upon themselves to rekindle the anger of a conflict that took place so long ago.

I have a life, so won't be participating.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
If you think I wish to rewrite history, I must not be making my point clear enough. I don't wish to rewrite it. I just wish to be able to move on to it. Neither political party are the same that they wer in 1860. By repeating the point you claim about the Democratic Party, you wish for them to remain stuck with the same traits they may have had 150 years ago. It doesn't work.

Yes, some Democrats keep saying that. So to combat that, instead of point out the obvious, you instead wish to point out that some Democrats were racist in the 1800s.

I still fail to see what one has to do with the other and go back to the my point that you must want us to change the name of ur country since some of us were racist and did horrible things before.

Find where I have said that and please link to where I said it. It's not possible to ascribe one trait to an entire group of people.
The point is the Democratic party was the issue back in this country's racist days. If you have a problem with their flag, then you should also have a problem with the party continuing to use that name.

This seems like an obvious contradiction. I can't explain it to you other than what I've said.

I never said or implied that the Democratic Party is exactly like it was back then. It does still exploit race and identity politics to win elections though.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
from a Latino-American and a person that knows a lot about Spanish and Portuguese history in the Americas you have no clue what you're talking about and your bias and hate against the American South shows. The majority of the people in the South didn't have slaves just like the rest of the colonies in the Americas under Spain, France, and Portugal rule.

Spain and Portugal were more brutal and hardcore about slavery than the American South. They brought more African slaves to their colonies by far than any other country in the Americas.

Brazil didn't abolish slavery until 1888. Spain didn't abolish slavery in Cuba until 1886 and in Puerto Rico until 1873...........none of them went to war and kill their own people to end slavery and they were white Europeans and very Catholic.

for you to just signal out just the whites in the American South shows your bias and hate for everybody in the South.
I only care about what happened HERE! Brazil and blah, blah, blah are none of my concern.

And yeah, Brazil didn’t abolish slavery until the 1880’s. That means the United States would’ve went at least 50 years longer. Without the cotton picker, they weren’t gonna end slavery and that invention didn’t happen until the 1930’s.

BTW, you being a Latino doesn’t give your opinion any additional gravitas. I don’t care if you were from Mongolia. The South asked for a war and got it. They thought they were tough after centuries of abusing defenseless blacks that couldn’t fight back. They were wrong. Turns out that they were soft. Weak. Cowards. They could beat up on slaves and rape defenseless women, but when they ran into someone who was similarly armed, they folded like a wet towel. They’re STILL soft.

Again, your family weren’t victims of slavery so you don’t care if slavery STILL hadn’t ended til this day. But I have solidarity with my people and I’m happy that the South got skulldrug during the war. Wish many more had been killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies