Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,414,089 times

Advertisements

What I don't get is the same people who are outraged over the Confederate flag have no problem with the Democratic Party still using that name. There is no Confederate flag without the Democratic Party.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'm a Democrat and the Confederate flag is not a major platform issue for me and never has been. Why are people continuing to make this an issue when most of the history of the Civil War is slowly being erased? You got what you wanted although few complained about it. If the blacks were all that butt hurt - they would have brought this issue up with the Civil Rights marches,
I'm with you. I see that flag probably once every 2 years here in Texas and it's when I'm driving through some small town and it's usually attached to some shanty shack.

I wonder is OP is still unemployed and still trying to make excuses for his inability to find a job in this booming economy. It's easier to blame a flag, whiteness and racism for your problems then to reflect back on what really is the problem.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:10 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
What I don't get is the same people who are outraged over the Confederate flag have no problem with the Democratic Party still using that name. There is no Confederate flag without the Democratic Party.
Well, today's Democrats are not defending the Confederate flag.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,277,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The United States wasn’t a Spanish, French or Portuguese possession. American Southerners were more stubborn, and had to have slavery taken from them by the sword. There was no other way. Southerners were a hardheaded lot, and had no intentions of ending slavery for decades to come. Death and war was absolutely necessary. It had to happen.

You’re cavalier because your ancestors weren’t going through slavery. So it’s easy for you to be insouciant.

So what if Africans were at war with each other? And? Europeans were at war with each other as late as the 1990’s in the Balkans where hundreds of thousands are killed. European tribes are responsible in the last 100 years alone for nearly 100 million deaths in two world wars and some of the worse ethnic genocides on the planet. Don’t wag your finger at me about Africa. African Americans AND African people got dragged into and killed in European tribal wars in the 20th Century.

This is about slavery in the Americas. This conversation has squat to do with Africa. Southern whites with their Bibles and high minded Christianity used a shockingly brutal system of torture, rape, and selling off of families to subjugate black people. So I’m supposed to feel bad for what happened to them during the war?

Ehhhh...no. I wish many more had died during the war. And I wish Southern infrastructure had been completely dismantled and destroyed so that the South would’ve needed a century to recover. As it was, they DID need nearly that long to put things back together.

from a Latino-American and a person that knows a lot about Spanish and Portuguese history in the Americas you have no clue what you're talking about and your bias and hate against the American South shows. The majority of the people in the South didn't have slaves just like the rest of the colonies in the Americas under Spain, France, and Portugal rule.

Spain and Portugal were more brutal and hardcore about slavery than the American South. They brought more African slaves to their colonies by far than any other country in the Americas.

Brazil didn't abolish slavery until 1888. Spain didn't abolish slavery in Cuba until 1886 and in Puerto Rico until 1873...........none of them went to war and kill their own people to end slavery and they were white Europeans and very Catholic.

for you to just signal out just the whites in the American South shows your bias and hate for everybody in the South.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are Democratic voters who don't have a problem with the flag. Most really poor white people are Democrat voters and more likely to be into the flag.

But if you are consistent and sincere, you should want the Democratic Party name to be banned. It is like asking black people to vote for a party called the KKK.

There was a person on here saying Clemson University is racist because it has a campus building named after Ben Pitchfork Tillman, a Democrat racist governor. But he has never said it is racist for his party to use the Democratic Party name. Why can't we assume the Democrat Party wants to honor Tillman and other racist Democrats by continuing to use that name.

If it is racist to own/fly a Confederate flag, then it should also be racist to use the Democratic Party name. The Democratic Party was the problem, not a piece of cloth.

Why would a 'progressive' want his or her party name to be the same name as Ben Pitchfork Tillman's party.

It interesting to me from a psychological standpoint that liberals who seem to be thinking about racism a lot have never questioned their party's decision to keep that name.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-10-2019 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yeah, they're the ones wearing Blackface, dressed in white hoods and will beat the crap out of you if they don't like you.

Nothing has changed in 150 years.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The United States wasn’t a Spanish, French or Portuguese possession. American Southerners were more stubborn, and had to have slavery taken from them by the sword. There was no other way. Southerners were a hardheaded lot, and had no intentions of ending slavery for decades to come. Death and war was absolutely necessary. It had to happen.
You don't honestly believe that do you? If so, I've lost all respect for you.

This seems to be an emotional issue for you which has caused you to lose your rationality.

You understand that the money rules, right? And that the southern elite got all of their money by selling cotton to other countries? Right? And that any shift in the dynamics of money, would have shifted the dynamics of power?

If cotton prices had dropped in half, wouldn't that have vastly reduced the power of southern planters? Wouldn't that have put many of them out-of-business?

Between 1872 and 1878, the price of cotton fell by half.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_D...the_depression

https://civilwartalk.com/attachments...870s-jpg.2553/

You fail to recognize that, the south didn't consume the cotton they produced. They had an unsustainable economic-model. They were basically the Saudi Arabia of cotton.

It is pointless for the south to grow cotton if Europe didn't buy it. And if the south had the industry to use the cotton themselves, they wouldn't have grown cotton, and there would be no slavery.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Why did the British Empire abolish slavery in its territories? Why did the British Empire use its Navy to stop the slave-trade? I want you to put it in your own words.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:51 PM

'Heritage not hate' would probably be the justification for continuing to use the Democratic Party name.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:04 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times
1. Most of the Confederate Monuments were erected in the late 19th/early 20th Century in memory, not just of the Confederacy, but of the return of white racial conservative governments after the withdrawal of federal troops with the end of Reconstruction.

2. The Confederate Battle Flag was seldom seen for 90 years or so. It came back as a symbol of white Southern resistance to the Civil Rights Movement.

Both symbols have always been more about defiance over race and federal authority than remembrance of history.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:06 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,277,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
1. Most of the Confederate Monuments were erected in the late 19th/early 20th Century in memory, not just of the Confederacy, but of the return of white racial conservative governments after the withdrawal of federal troops with the end of Reconstruction.

2. The Confederate Battle Flag was seldom seen for 90 years or so. It came back as a symbol of white Southern resistance to the Civil Rights Movement.

Both symbols have always been more about defiance over race and federal authority than remembrance of history.

says who? is that an opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies