Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 06:35 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
They don't live under it. They can think what they will.

What you do is your business. Just be aware that not everyone is going to view your flying the CBF as some sort of nod to your "heritage".

who lives under the Confederate flag?.....nobody in the U.S. has to live under a battle flag or have to show allegiance or respect for it.

Some Mexicans in the U.S. rejects flying the American flag and reject respecting our flag, they rather fly their own Mexican flag in our soil even while protesting our government and I don't see a big drama over it.....I find it ignorant and arrogant they come to our country waving their flag over ours on our soil but nobody is going to jail over it and no laws are being made to prohibit that so who cares who flies the Confederate flag, it's a free country.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:38 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the U.S. was founded when slavery was legal........our Founding Fathers had slaves.... what is your point?

is the declaration of independence a problem for you? how about the American Flag of the original 13 states all the way until 1865?.....anything before 1865 is a problem? then let's start taking down buildings, statues and change the names of schools, streets, avenues, parks, libraries and cities and states named after slave owners.
We consider it an evil thing today that chattel slavery existed in the United States when this nation was founded. Slavery was also widespread throughout the world at the time.

Many places in the U.S. gradually did away with slavery over the course of time as more and more people questioned the moral acceptability of this practice. The Confederacy, however, waged a civil war to keep slavery going into perpetuity. That is the difference.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Waving that flag is A way of announcing you picked a fight with someone twice your size and got beat up

Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. I know EXACTLY what they wanted back then. And you’re not even bothering to refute what I said either because you know it’s the truth.

yes, you spoke for every white person in the South in the 1800's......you personally went to each people's houses and farms and made a referendum in what was the dreams and sexual desires of all white people in the South.

and you came up with that their dreams were owning black slaves so they can have sex with them, got it! ....that's the reason the MAJORITY in the South fought and died to keep the dream alive. Even though, Lincoln and the North promised that with the Corwin Amendment that slavery would be a state's rights forever in the Constitution, I guess that news didn't get to the South and the people in the South were fighting and dying for no good reason.

and good old Lincoln and the whites from the North wanted to stop that silly dream and sexual fantasy. lincoln said it in many of his speeches why he was waging war on the South, to stop the dream of owning black slaves to have sex with and bring lots of mix race babies in the world....got it!

stay off the crack, bro!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I've lived in South Carolina for over 60 years, and been in places in this state most people never heard of. We had a house at Garden City Beach ten miles below Myrtle while I was growing up. I have seen the coast of this state go from what was once a paradise to a concrete crusted monstrosity due to the greed of politicians and developers. I own property in four different counties, including a lot at Fort Fremont, just outside Beaufort. I have a daughter living on James Island, and go down regularly to visit my granddaughters. Charleston is about to develop itself out of existence if I-526 is completed. One of them was getting ready to cut the Angel Oak to build houses before there was such a public uproar that he finally agreed to sell the patch of land with the tree, which is now surrounded by a fence to try to stop vandalism. I am sitting five miles from the State House as I type here, on a tract of land that was once part of General Wade Hampton's Plantation. His plantation house, Millwood, was just over a mile from where I sit. Sherman sent a detail out to specifically burn it, but the columns are still standing. I have visited there a number of times.

My family owned slaves, and at least eight of them fought for the Confederacy on both sides of my family. They remain to this day largely unreconstructed, and I have as little to do with them as possible. I have a cousin and his wife who have not spoken to me since I married a Catholic girl 42 years ago, because "those people pray to idols."

My slogan is the result of years of observation and absolute disgust with what this state has chosen to become. If my wife could have been talked into a move, I would have been gone from here forty years ago.
That doesn’t excuse nastiness or insulting my home state. There are plenty of nice parts.

Ever been to the slums of NYC? You’ll miss SC, which is Beverly Hills or Switzerland by comparison.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
That doesn’t excuse nastiness or insulting my home state. There are plenty of nice parts.

Ever been to the slums of NYC? You’ll miss SC, which is Beverly Hills or Switzerland by comparison.
I'd say one of these things is not like the other.

One of them is the real experience of a long term educated resident - along with real history and the other is "whatabout?".....

My nephew found a place to live in coastal SC and loves it - he will never leave. But demographics and other statistics do mean something.

One of the members here from SC has a little saying under their avatar "Come visit SC so you can feel better about where you live". None of us asked him or her to put it there.

Anyway, back to that Flag. SC is, historically...and even in the present day, one of the last to "give it all up"...it being the lost cause. They still use code words like "states rights"..and, remember, it was the GOP (Texas) that actually threatened succession relative recently.

Anyone who studies a bit of history and current events know what the score is. I just spoke tonight to a Jewish family who has been in the country for 100's of years - their people were from the south. Their 16 year old was drafted as a bugle boy into the Confederacy and they said "no way" and moved back to Europe (and then came back here). It wasn't because of war itself - but because as Jewish folks they couldn't stand the idea of fighting for oppression and slavery.

Let's leave it at this. Like any place...and any people....SC is what it does. If, like a formerly bad child, they straighten out their act they will be welcomed back into the league of mankind. If, on the other hand, they keep praying to those "Confederates in the Attic" (great book, BTW), then they will likely be shunned by more decent Americans for those particular actions and points of view.

Their choice.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We consider it an evil thing today that chattel slavery existed in the United States when this nation was founded. Slavery was also widespread throughout the world at the time.

Many places in the U.S. gradually did away with slavery over the course of time as more and more people questioned the moral acceptability of this practice. The Confederacy, however, waged a civil war to keep slavery going into perpetuity. That is the difference.
Slavery existed for centuries in the world....empires were built on slavery. The United States is the ONLY country in the world with the slavery guilt for politics and political correctness that is still the topic of the day when other countries have moved on.

your history is wrong......the South left the Union to be independent. They didn't wage war to conquer the North and impose their believes on the North or to expand slavery in the North.

Lincoln and the North didn't wage war on the South to end slavery. He said it many times and you should read the Corwin Amendment. That should give you pause in the history they taught you in the public schools.

Corwin Amendment is Lincoln and the North telling the South: "keep your slavery into perpetuity as long that you come back in the union and pay your taxes and let us control your economy and the revenues you are making out of slavery".........the South refused and like a tyrant Lincoln waged war on the South.

this wasn't really a civil war.....a civil war is what Vietnam and Spain had. 2 sides fighting to control the whole country and control the whole population under 1 government and destroy the other side. The South never wanted to control the North or the federal government or destroy the North or conquer the North or control the economy in the North.....they wanted to be INDEPENDENT and be left alone and like every Tyrant in history has done when a group in the population declared their independence, they got destroyed.....Lincoln did what King George failed to do.

it wasn't a civil war, it was a war of independence.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:07 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Beyond Orwellian. Plain stupid and dishonest. At the same time, it makes sense in a perverted way. We know what the Confederate cause was about. Since intimidation isn't legal, gaslighting is used. When that doesn't work, flat out lying is used.
Do you feel this thread has answered the questions posed in your OP?

Old 02-10-2019, 07:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Slavery existed for centuries in the world....empires were built on slavery. The United States is the ONLY country in the world with the slavery guilt for politics and political correctness that is still the topic of the day when other countries have moved on.
Uh, you leave out many basics such as the fact the the modern countries that the US was patterned after gave up slavery voluntarily - due to MORALS AND ETHICS promoted by their own inner spirituality......well before the USA did.

Being the last "slaver" and the South wanted to continue. Why just another couple generations and we'd have slaves flying on airliners. Imagine that. We wouldn't have as many dying on the trip over!

"In 1315, Louis X, king of France, published a decree proclaiming that "France signifies freedom" and that any slave setting foot on the French ground should be freed"

Wow, 500 years later and the South was still into it? Shame.

Our Mother Country.....

"On August 28, 1833, the Slavery Abolition Act was given Royal Assent, which paved the way for the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire, which was substantially achieved in 1838"

Words are funny things. The Independence the South wanted was the Independence to buy and sell human beings. You seem to think that is OK.

Most modern westerners don't. Some minorities among Muslims do.....but relatively small minorities these days.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:13 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Being the last "slaver" and the South wanted to continue.
In the Americas, Brazil was the last country that abolished slavery in 1888. Mauritania was the last country in the world to abolish slavery, in 1981.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies