Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times

Advertisements

Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 only covered freeing the slaves in the SOUTH, not the north. He did so to prevent the southerners from using their slaves to fight against the union soldiers. It was issued as a war measure.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
He did so to prevent the southerners from using their slaves to fight against the union soldiers.
And he hoped it would cause a slave rebellion, which would keep the Confederate Army's hands full with protecting their homes, and make them unable to continue fighting the war. Which is why it didn't apply to the four slave-states that didn't secede from the union.

They confiscated slaves so the slaves couldn't produce the materials the south needed to continue fighting the war. Basically, if the farms didn't have slaves, they couldn't produce crops. Without crops, the south would starve and stop fighting.

The North was fighting a "Total War" against the south. The North destroyed everything they could find any time they held southern ground. From crops to homes to railroads to bridge to communication lines. Sherman burned entire cities to the ground.

These things would now be considered "war crimes", but not only did Lincoln's Armies carry them out against the south, but they used the same tactics against the Indians during and after the Civil War, to make way for "Westward expansion".

Lincoln's generals, such as Sherman and Sheridan, would kill all the buffalo in the Great Plains, because without the buffalo the Indians would starve to death.

https://www.history.com/news/sherman...tive-americans

Why anyone would praise Lincoln and his Army is beyond me.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you mean the same institution of slavery in which the 13 colonies was founded on and the birth of our republic?......you mean the same institution of slavery that the federal government had no problem taking the revenues in taxes to fund the North?......the same reason Lincoln and the North wouldn't let South leave.

yeah, at least know your history in why Lincoln and the North waged war on the South and it wasn't to free the slaves in the South.
Actually, I think we mean the institution that the founding fathers had the biggest problem with...and so they punted on it?? that one??

"the Founding Fathers acknowledged that slavery violated the core American Revolutionary ideal of liberty, their simultaneous commitment to private property rights, principles of limited government, and intersectional harmony prevented them from making a bold move against slavery. "

"the Founders, with the exception of those from South Carolina and Georgia, exhibited considerable aversion to Slavery during the era of the Articles of Confederation (1781–89) by prohibiting the importation of foreign slaves to individual states and lending their support to a proposal by Jefferson to ban slavery in the Northwest Territory. Such antislavery policies, however, only went so far."

Yeah, we are talking about the founding fathers NOT from SC and GA. Which are you talking about?

"Jefferson, however, explicitly rejected this vision. He acknowledged that slavery violated the natural rights of slaves and that conflicts over slavery might one day lead to the dissolution of the union"

The founders knew they screwed up and that war was inevitable. They did take some steps such as banning new importations in 1808, but the slave masters bred their slaves to make even more....and a large amount of them raped their slaves to make even more.

Not a pretty history. Time to move on.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Dude View Post
None of it had even an inch to do with slavery though. Abraham Lincoln himself admitted that.
Well, you certainly are going to have to rewrite a lot of speeches, debates and other such history......before he was POTUS, there were many famous debates...word for word:

"I hate it because of the monstrous injustice of slavery itself. I hate it because it deprives our republican example of its just influence in the world—enables the enemies of free institutions, with plausibility, to taunt us as hypocrites—causes the real friends of freedom to doubt our sincerity, and especially because it forces so many really good men amongst ourselves into an open war with the very fundamental principles of civil liberty—criticizing the Declaration of Independence, and insisting that there is no right principle of action but self-interest"
A. Lincoln

Pretty clear. In fact, perfect. And the complete opposite of the Confederate view.
So now we are into Russians AND confederates? All "good people", I guess?

Old 02-11-2019, 06:14 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Why do blacks take a more unfavorable view of the confederate flag? Maybe because it was flown by soldiers who were fighting to keep them in bondage in perpetuity.
This times a billion.

Slavery was THE issue ca 1845 to 1861. See Bleeding Kansas etc.

I understand white people wanting it on their own property.

As for all confederate symbols. I believe in letting the true locals decide what they want as far as statues etc. They can be respectfully removed to confederate cemeteries.

Note locals does not equal transient college students ripping down statues and monuments. It means for example a mostly black town not wanting the monuments in the town square.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:18 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This times a billion.

Slavery was THE issue ca 1845 to 1861. See Bleeding Kansas etc.

I understand white people wanting it on their own property.

As for all confederate symbols. I believe in letting the true locals decide what they want as far as statues etc. They can be respectfully removed to confederate cemeteries.

Note locals does not equal transient college students ripping down statues and monuments. It means for example a mostly black town not wanting the monuments in the town square.
In the words of the great Indiana Jones, IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!

Old 02-11-2019, 06:37 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
It wasn't only the KKK in Charlottesville. There were also groups such as the daughters of the confederacy. Which was an organization created to maintain the graves of confederate soldiers, and to defend the honor of their fathers, grandfathers, great-grandfathers, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...he_Confederacy

Are Vietnam veterans liberators or baby-killers? Are Confederate soldiers patriots or treasonous? Were Confederate soldiers fighting for slavery or freedom?

What did Robert E. Lee believe he was fighting for? Was Robert E. Lee a bad person? Who was a better person, Robert E. Lee or George Washington?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kflJ6LSrk0
Robert E. Lee was offered the command of the Union Army by Lincoln and turned it down, because Virginia had seceded from the Union. Firing on Fort Sumter was an act of pure treason intended to destroy the United States (like an early version of Al Qaeda, who also attacked the U.S. on 9/11), and Lee chose to lead them, making him the leader of a treasonous mob of thugs.

As to what they were fighting for, I will direct you to the Articles of Secession for all of the Confederate states and the Cornerstone Speech by Alexander Stephens, who was VP of the Confederacy. It leaves little doubt what the Late Unplesantness was about.

Last edited by cuebald; 02-11-2019 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 only covered freeing the slaves in the SOUTH, not the north. He did so to prevent the southerners from using their slaves to fight against the union soldiers. It was issued as a war measure.
He didn't have to worry. Slaves were used in Confederate camps as cooks and laborers, but they were prohibited from being combatants until a month or so before Appamattox. (If you can find a pay roster for a black Confederate combatant, please share it. I have been looking for 25 years with no success.) It would have been sheer idiocy to arm the slaves you held in bondage.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Why anyone would praise Lincoln and his Army is beyond me.
Because, in spite of his alleged prejudice against Blacks, his army was responsible for preserving the United States.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
The Confederate flag is the demon in the closet for Democrats. It's really their flag, they were the Slave owners. The Confederates were Democrats. I think today it's strange to see so much forgiveness of that fact, but hey, in reality, some in the south didn't agree with slavery, and some in the north did. I personally think there is a place to remind ourselves of our past, but I don't want it glorified in any way because it's painful to see it.

I think today some Democrats are still trying to make money off slave labor just as they did then, and I see them fighting for it as they did then. Illegals working in such conditions should be discouraged yet I'll hear the Democrats talk about giving these people jobs so difficult and unfair that "real" Americans won't do as if it's a wonderful thing, paying them slave wages and housing them in horrible conditions. Sometimes I'm shocked. We keep creating angry groups of people.

They still represent people who support a slave culture, they think they're doing something good for a poor group of people who aren't affected like "normal, legal" Americans. If we have jobs that pay so little for such difficult work, then we should be fixing that instead of employing people we can hold hostage because they're illegal. The Democrats are still doing things I wouldn't be proud of, I'm not proud of the current way we perpetuate a slave workforce and encourage this abusive practice. I cringe when I hear a Democrat say that a Mexican likes this hard work, or a Mexican can tolerate these bad conditions better than an American. Like they're an animal we barely have to pay.

Slavery wasn't that long ago, it's still painful and I still see it today, in 2019, Democrats supporting slave workers and paying slave wages. It amazes me they don't realize it, but they are too busy patting themselves on the back for their pc-ness. It's not as blatant, but we are still abusing a group of human beings and treating them like animals. We encourage their presence and use their weaknesses for money. Yikes, a lesson not learned.

I'm a no on the flag unless it's in a Museum showing a part of our past we aren't proud of. I'm also a no on our countries slave labor fetish. We should stop it already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies