Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Was Sherman a good man? Didn't Sherman deserved to be hanged? Didn't Sherman commit countless War-crimes? And please tell me, what did Sherman think of the Native-Americans? What did he do to them?
Body count for Shermans ending of the war campaign....
"It is estimated that during the six-week March to the Sea fewer than 3,000 casualties resulted."

Body count for one Lee Battle - Gettysburg - 50,000 including 30,000 Rebels......

So, which wiped out more ancestors???

In the scope of History, they should erect Statues to Sherman for the fact that the South is even populated with the kin of rebels.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The American Flag symbolizes American heritage. It's just that American heritage includes slavery...

Why no problem there?

most countries in the world practiced slavery including most Native Americans. None of them have a "slavery" guilt syndrome like we have in the U.S. because they are adults and they have moved on and leave it for history class in schools. Well, except some in the United States that constantly bring it up to shame and blame white people for their problems and to bash this country or for politics.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,659,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
most countries in the world practiced slavery including most Native Americans. None of them have a "slavery" guilt syndrome like we have in the U.S. because they are adults and they have moved on and leave it for history class in schools. Well, except some in the United States that constantly bring it up to shame and blame white people for their problems and to bash this country or for politics.
touche`

Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
That quote is hard to find but when I first came upon it I was amazed.....he had it so perfectly stated. You can't fix stupid and you can't fix inbred violence. I recently read a book which was set in the 1990's and early 2000's about people living in a certain area and these folks have no such things as "forgive and forget". EVERY slight or perceived slight must be answered with violence.

That is why the highest murder rate in history of 250 per 100K citizens was in the TN/KY areas...that is 50X higher than current in our state and 20 to 30X higher than the worst crime states.

To be clear - violence is certainly not limited to any ethnicity. But most have found a way to temper it down and get back with the program when it proves to be fruitless. And the lost cause is certainly fruitless.

Sherman was right - but both he and Lincoln knew that this was not going to happen. Genocide was not in their vocab and both were very liberal men. Sherman killed almost no one considering the size and scope of the campaign.
That's the area where I grew up. They nearly all *think* they're Southerners. But history says otherwise.

In the Appalachian areas of both states, lots of people were for the Union. Large majorities even, depending on where you were. It's why West Virginia seceded from Traitor Virginia. It's a big part of why Kentucky didn't secede. And it's why the Eastern part of Tennessee tried and failed to secede from the Traitor part of Tennessee.

Every one of my snaggle-toothed, pig-ignorant kin back home claims to side with the South. And most of them are ****ting on their grandfathers' graves. Personally I have ancestors who fought on both sides of the conflict, so I reckon I can choose as I like.

So why would I support stupid, spiteful, treasonous losers whose primary goal was to enslave other humans? They can go pound sand.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Body count for Shermans ending of the war campaign....
"It is estimated that during the six-week March to the Sea fewer than 3,000 casualties resulted."

Body count for one Lee Battle - Gettysburg - 50,000 including 30,000 Rebels......

So, which wiped out more ancestors???

In the scope of History, they should erect Statues to Sherman for the fact that the South is even populated with the kin of rebels.
Sherman was Stern but Fair.

Best thing that ever happened to the South.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,659,752 times
Quote:
Well, in the midst of your longer rant - one sentence of truth. That's all we really need to know on this particular issue since we certainly cannot (yet) go inside the brains of those who revered those times.

Whataboutism isn't a real thing for Black folks enslaved for 100's of years.

The legacy remains even if it ended 150 years back. The Jim Crow South made sure of that. Many such Legacies remain, including that of indentured white folks. Their ancestors populated Appalachia and were abused by Wall Street, London, etc. in the time since - their birthright stolen and their land scorched.

This then refers us to the various threads on "unbridled and unregulated capitalism" which is at the root of slavery, corporate control and the stripping of the resources away from the "commons" by hook or by crook (or gun or lawyers).
Only one sentence of truth? really.. I noted that Slavery ended 150 years ago, that would be 2 ! No?
I noted that MAGA hats are considered racist by some? that would be 3 ! NO?

no offense, but there was more than 1 sentence of truth in my ramblings...

Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:

Racist just want to think they are better than others...even if they are not. Most of them are actually not even up to par, so they can't stand upon their own accomplishments and therefore use the ID of others (Hey, I'm white like Thomas Edison) and think that is a badge of honor.

yes, I met them in every race and group......some blacks are racists and Latinos. They think their race or group are better than others. But when you call them out on it, they say it's a pride and heritage thing but if a white person does and says the same thing they are labeled a white supremacist and a racist.

Some black women don't like white girls dating "their" black men and some black men will go postal if white men comedown to their hood to date black women.....I see this also in Latino communities especially Mexican.

don't use the wall to labeled people white supremacist. Every country in the world is against illegal immigration. That doesn't make them racists or supremacists.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 AM

I don't necessarily subscribe to a lot of what the Self-Loathing Left believes regarding race and today's notions of 'social justice'.

But how hard is it to condemn people who betrayed their country to preserve slavery? If you can't have some kind of moral clarity on THAT... then you can/will justify nearly anything that suits your purpose.

Slavery is bad, m'kay?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Only one sentence of truth? really.. I noted that Slavery ended 150 years ago, that would be 2 ! No?
I noted that MAGA hats are considered racist by some? that would be 3 ! NO?

no offense, but there was more than 1 sentence of truth in my ramblings...
Sharecropping, redlining, jim crow, segregation were all vestiges of slavery. Voting right, civil rights....at the very best you could call about 1980 the end of that, although some parts (voting rights, etc.) still remain.

I think it's self-evident that the US Constitution was changed. It's also evident that the simple wearing of a hat does not automatically change minds and memories.

MAGA and "white nationalism" are tied together because Trump declared Nationalism his outlook...and he clearly said that "both sides" (meaning neo-Nazis) have good people.

Flags and Hats are Flags and Hats. I could put on a MAGA hat and it wouldn't make a bit of difference in my thinking....but I won't.

You see, the word "deplorable" partially describes people who do things....to cause trouble...because they CAN. Just because one can doesn't mean they should.

I forgive them. Maybe they don't know or don't see it.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I'm a little confused by this thread.

I would be astounded to learn that African-Americans view the Confederate flag as anything other than a harsh reminder of a War that was fought, at least in part, as an effort to keep them enslaved. That would have to be a slap in the face every single time it is displayed in public.

Does someone actually believe that African-Americans have come to tolerate the Confederate flag? Much less celebrate it?
Well, this is the thing. It should not be a surprise that African-Americans don't view the Confederate flag in a positive light. The thing is, trying to make it look like Black people must be crazy for viewing the Confederate flag that way is quite commonplace. Alot of people don't care to ask WHY. You and me know why, but many people don't bother to ask why. Some probably know why but pretend they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies