Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Black sympathizers with the Confedracy are few and far between. I don't know why you're going to such lengths to muddy the waters or to obfuscate the bigger picture.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so declaring your independence from a tyrant central government that doesn't represent you is "betraying" your country? then this country was founded on betrayal since day #1.

the war wasn't fought over slavery. Lincoln and the North said it many times and made it loud and clear when they passed the Corwin Amendment.

You can't judge history with today's morals and standards. The South was a lot more than just slavery. Just like our Founding Fathers were a lot more than just slavery, they owned slaves but nobody condemns them like they do the South....why is that?
The Institution of Slavery is a 3000 year old (Biblically ordained) economic social construct, derived from debtors prison of ancient civilization, yet the only time in history people of America want to discuss is that which happened 158 years ago. When it gets discussed people leave out the facts that brings the whole situation into perspective. 158 years ago it was a way of life, that was coming to its conclusion, just as most all does in the times of social evolution.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Black sympathizers with the Confedracy are few and far between. I don't know why you're going to such lengths to muddy the waters or to obfuscate the bigger picture.
Pretty sure we all know why

Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The Employment of Negroes as Soldiers in the Confederate Army
Charles H. Wesley

Here there is sufficient evidence in the concrete that slavery was not the avowed cause of the conflict. If there was this uncertain notion of the cause of the war among northern sympathizers, how much more befogged must have been the minds of the southern slaves in the hands of men who imagined that they were fighting for the same principles involved in our earliet struggle with Great Britain! To the majority of the Negroes, as to all the South, the invading armies of the Union seemed to be ruthlessly attacking independent States, invading the beloved homeland and trampling upon all that these men held dear.

The loyalty of the slave while the master was away with the fighting forces of the Confederacy has been the making of many orators of an earlier day, echoes of which we often hear in the present. The Negroes were not only loyal in remaining at home and doing their duty but also in offering themselves for actual service in the Confederate army. [The Journal of Negro History Vol. 4, No. 3 (Jul., 1919), pp 239 - 253 (15 pages)]

Adding
The Forgotten Black Confederate Soldier
Union soldiers robbed, raped and murdered Free Black and slave Southerners they had come to "emancipate." Union "recruiters" hunted, kidnapped and tortured Black Southerners to compel them to serve in the Union Army. At the Battle of the Crater white Union soldiers bayoneted retreating Black Union soldiers and the 54th Massachusetts was intentionally fired upon by Union Maine troops while assaulting Battery Wagner. The Federal Official Records and memoirs of the USCT document all of these war crimes.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
The Confederate battle flag (the one commonly seen today) was pretty much forgotten after the Civil War until the early 20th when the KKK and other white nationalist groups made it their own. And the battle flag wasn't even the real flag of the Confederacy and wasn't used until the very end of the civil war.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:23 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Amusing. I said in the beginning of this thread that if you can only offer gaslighting or some token Black guy expressing love for the Confederate flag, this isn't the thread for you. Amusing. You decided to gaslight on purpose. That's okay though. It tells me what I've suspected. You didn't like what I had to say. You reverted to pulling out that token Black guy liking the Confederate flag.

Listen, that one Black guy flying the Confederate flag or a few Blacks posing with one does not negate that most Blacks don't view it positively. It does not negate that most Blacks don't identify with it.

I've read that article. Now answer this. Why choose the Confederate flag as a symbol of grievances, especially considering that is a symbol of the old Confederacy and has been long used to express opposition to civil rights? Why did it become the flag of choice for white supremacists? Why has become the flag of choice for working class/poor Whites who feel disenchanted with America's current state? And why are the majority of Blacks who have grievances not using that flag?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:25 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
stars and bars are offense only to activists. not the general population they pretend to represent.

Case in point to demonstrate the chasm between activists and the people they pretend to represent, VA gov should resign for blackface? 60% of blacks say NO!

Old 02-11-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Pretty sure we all know why
It isn't right to distort the truth, by utilizing only the facts that support your view.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Amusing. I said in the beginning of this thread that if you can only offer gaslighting or some token Black guy expressing love for the Confederate flag, this isn't the thread for you. Amusing. You decided to gaslight on purpose. That's okay though. It tells me what I've suspected. You didn't like what I had to say. You reverted to pulling out that token Black guy liking the Confederate flag.

Listen, that one Black guy flying the Confederate flag or a few Blacks posing with one does not negate that most Blacks don't view it positively. It does not negate that most Blacks don't identify with it.

I've read that article. Now answer this. Why choose the Confederate flag as a symbol of grievances, especially considering that is a symbol of the old Confederacy and has been long used to express opposition to civil rights? Why did it become the flag of choice for white supremacists? Why has become the flag of choice for working class/poor Whites who feel disenchanted with America's current state? And why are the majority of Blacks who have grievances not using that flag?
I don't find it amusing at all:

I am a black South Carolinian. Here's why I support the Confederate flag.

"Four years ago, I became a national news story after I hung a Confederate flag in my dorm room window at the University of South Carolina Beaufort. Controversy wasn’t my intention. For me and many Southerners, the flag celebrates my heritage and regional pride. One of my ancestors, Benjamin Thomas, was a black Confederate cook, and I do not want to turn my back on his service to the South. So I hang the flag in honor of his hard work and dedication to South Carolina during the Civil War.
<snip>
I fought back against the racist interpretation of the flag and I won.
<snip>
I love the Confederate flag, but I love South Carolina and its citizens more. While the flag’s existence on the statehouse grounds never offended me — and it still does not today — I can’t ignore the deep pain that it causes for many people in my state. I can’t ignore that many can’t love South Carolina as I do until the flag is removed." (gaslight: manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.)

Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Confederate battle flag (the one commonly seen today) was pretty much forgotten after the Civil War until the early 20th when the KKK and other white nationalist groups made it their own. And the battle flag wasn't even the real flag of the Confederacy and wasn't used until the very end of the civil war.
Confederate Imagery as Resistance to the Civil Rights Movement

"The most outspoken political group promoting segregation in the United States was the Dixiecrat political party, who adopted the Confederate flag as their party's symbol in 1948. Before it was adopted by the Dixiecrats, the flag was not used as a political statement. The only times the Confederate flag was flown were at occasional football games (flown by southern universities), or during Civil War reenactments. However, after the Dixiecrats adopted the flag, others also began to use it to resist desegregation and equality and oppose the Civil Rights Movement.

I put a name to the pain ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies