Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 07:40 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

It's really that simple.

One of the basic ideas of the Constitution is that (1) Presidents don't make the laws, and (2) certain powers - including Power of the Purse - are reserved for the Congress.

With this "national emergency," you conservatives support your guy just bypassing Congress altogether and implementing his policies (which he couldn't get support through Congress) via royal decree.

That's basically called a dictatorship. Might as well disband Congress and just annoint Donald as King.

If you're for this stuff, then you're opposed to the spirit and concept of the Constitution.
Unfortunately, you forgot the paramount point in the whole affair, probably because it causes your argument to collapse in a stinking, fetid heap on the rhetorical floor.

That point is that Congress itself delegated the authority to redirect appropriated funds to the President in the National Emergencies Act of 1976.

Congress appropriated the money, and the President elected to redirect some of it pursuant to powers delegated to him by Congress under the NMA of 1976.

It's just that simple. How the OP could get this so wrong is simply beyond human understanding.

However...it may be that we have been giving the OP the benefit of assuming that he/she is more intelligent and/or informed that he/she actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 07:41 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
Oh here we go!

get a clue and read and compare --it was not the same nor did anything he did challenge or usurp (look up this word if you need ),any parts of the constitution like this dictatorship

feeling sorry for the indoctrination into the trumf Reich

maybe deprograming will help😞
Sigh. Once again I am no Trump supporter, never voted for him and never will. My issue is with you political groupies who refuse to hold your own even slightly accountable but go crazy over what the other side does.

How was Yemens political issues a US National emergency? Yeah they weren't. Obama used the National emergency to avoid risking congress either taking too long or saying no. He used it 13 times and not once for an actual National Emergency.

Obama used executive orders to give Dreamers a free pass after congress basically said no.

Perhaps it you who requires a bit of deprogramming so that you can actually see the hypocrisy of both parties. Our nation has become an embarrassment because you hardliners salivating over your own like groupies at at rock concert. The dems screwed us every bit as hard as the GOP.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
why do yall hate the barrier so much, 20 miles here 55 miles there. its not the money, its not the view. what is it going to hurt

Old 02-17-2019, 07:46 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Where are all the Tea Baggers to complain about the rampant spending of funds and ballooning deficit? Someone must have taken that inbred snake and not only tread on it but crushed its skull - - haven't heard from them in years now. What a bunch of ineffectual hypocrites.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:47 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
There are already fences and barriers along the borders. Many of the law enforcement along the borders don't see a crisis. Even the CBP doesn't think a "wall" is the answer. This crisis is all in Trump's head. Hell, he even said he didn't have to do it. Does that sound like a national emergency to you? If there were such an emergency, why didn't he declare it two years ago when immigration migration was higher?
Yes there are SOME fences and borders along the border. But not along the complete border. I've even admitted this. I thought that when this was said during Trumps campaign that it was one of those things that these wanna be POTUS makes just to gain office. Didn't think it would go this far.
No matter how you slice it, Trump has said over and over that this is something Congress is responsible for passing. He has said this on several things including DACA. Now here we are after he warned them that he could sign a National Emergency to make it happen. Even now because they are going to have to find the funding if indeed they use the Military Construction money it still has to go through checks and balances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The President is doing one of the very few things that is specifically spelled out as his job and his responsibility, it just happens to be something that democrats have voted for in the recent past and everyone agreed that needed to be done.
Yes he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Good grief...

The corrupt news media are primarily responsible for trolling the public with "national emergency". It's mindless propaganda and you are buying right into it. Obama declared 12 "national emergencies" for crying out loud, the vast majority of which were not particularly pressing, and the media didn't bat an eye...

Trump is exercising his executive power to build the wall that he promised his supporters he would build. Hypocritical democrats refuse to work with Trump on the basis that they personally hate his guts... that, in and of itself, is not helpful or constructive. Why isn't this being discussed more???

Whether you like him or not, and whether you like the wall or not, he's pulling through on a campaign promise to get the wall built... we all knew this was coming, and the lame media are acting like it came out of nowhere. Give me a break.
We have already had 2 instances of the media taking a story and running with it and we are only 6 1/2 weeks into the new year! This is the prime example of how the media reports what they want you to believe instead of researching it and saying yes this is what happened. Its one thing to say it is being reported that XYZ vs he was harrassed or beaten.
I am honestly even shocked that he is pulling through on this promise. I've even stated on here that I didn't think it would happen because, thats how much faith I have in campaign promises.

Quote:
And here's another one for you geniuses out there:

If you spent the first two years of GOP-controlled Congress twiddling your thumbs, then waited to opportunistically threaten and declare a national emergency in response to obstacles... it's obviously planned strategy and not an emergency.
Not every single Republican in congress are fans of Trump. Not only has he received push back from the Democratic Party, but also some of the Republican party. It does not take a genius to figure that out.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:06 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The difference being there were actually real world issues instead of a made up crisis in the mind of an idiot. Trump said himself he didn't have to do this.
Do you even live in the US? 20 million illegals, hell, we don't even have a clue how many. How many millions of tax dodgers and social service suckers do you want here? That's telling, I'm guessing you have illegal family members?

Usually the biggest proponents have skin in the game.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:28 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
It's really that simple.
Build the wall and crime will fall.

BTW, did you oppose all of Obama's national emergencies?

Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do you even live in the US? 20 million illegals, hell, we don't even have a clue how many. How many millions of tax dodgers and social service suckers do you want here? That's telling, I'm guessing you have illegal family members?

Usually the biggest proponents have skin in the game.
I have no illegal family members. Hell, I hardly have any family members at all and certainly no skin in the game. I've never said I want open borders and I defy you to find a statement where I said I did. I've always maintained that we need greater border security. We've had immigration problems for years, and both Dems and Reps need to get together to resolve them.

However, why is immigration a national emergency now? He's had two years to declare one. Immigration is also down from 20 years ago. Why did he say he didn't really have to do it?

Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Build the wall and crime will fall.

BTW, did you oppose all of Obama's national emergencies?
Give me the stats because even the CBP don't think a "wall" is the answer.

No, I did not like a lot of Obama's national emergencies regarding foreign policy. I know you weren't asking me, but just thought I'd let you know.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:42 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Trump thinks he can end birthright citizenship so he thinks he can side step this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies