Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 04:36 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,430,557 times

Advertisements

Ok, I understand a Democrat is going to tout SNL.

SNL's creator and several comedians on the show have admitted it is a show for leftwingers.

When it had Carvey, Spade, and others it wasn't as political. It started getting really partisan with Tina Fey.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:37 PM

14,818 posts, read 8,151,181 times
I understand Republicans have no sense of humor any more.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,584,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok, I understand a Democrat is going to tout SNL.

SNL's creator has admitted it is a show for leftwingers.
No, it’s called presenting the facts about a show. I know, facts are hard.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
That is flat out not true at all (I can tell you don't watch the show, by that comment alone)

They have made fun of every President, and many other Politicians....they did a lot of skits esp. of The Clintons, and yes they have satired even Obama. It's what the show is known for - Political Satire, which I have always enjoyed no matter whether the person had a D or a R besides their name. Most are good natured about it, or silent about it. Trump is the only one I have ever seen go full on snowflake about it...and it makes it even weirder because he has no problems at all making fun of other people or insulting names for them. Toddler in Chief needs to grow up...and grow a sense of humor.

Exactly. Never seen anyone react this way about it. He needs to grow a sense of humor.
Him and his base.
they never lampoon Democrats in a way that a conservative would and it just a little bit to keep some non Democrats watching.

If the left is all about humor, why do you nominate stiff humorless politicians like Gore, Hillary, Obama, Kerry, etc.

Trump retweeting the SOTU with REM's Everybody Hurts as the soundtrack showing Democrat and Mitt Romney's sad faces was hilarious but Twitter quickly censored it because leftists have no sense of humor.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,577,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Baldwin’s Trump isn’t a perfect parody like Darrell Hammonds Clinton but I think Baldwin makes it funnier by doing it the way he does it. He just picks at Trumps vanity in a way that clearly upsets him.
Darrel Hammond's Clinton was hilarious. I'm not a fan of Baldwin but his Trump skits are awesome.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,572,137 times
I am no fan of the two-party system (illusion of choice) or Trump in general (think he has a lot of his base fooled that he is anti-establishment). With that all said, SNL should be making fun of all sides of the political spectrum because there is plenty of material there. Comedy should be apolitical in the sense that all sides of the political spectrum have so much nonsense everywhere to poke fun of. Concentrating on one side or individual defeats the purpose of true comedy. Agendas and biased satire aren't funny after you have used the same shtick for a long time and I think that is one reason why SNL hasn't been funny for many years.......

IMO that is why the original Mad TV was funnier. They were raunchy and didn't care who they offended. You laughed and then you moved on. #offended wasn't around then. The PC era has essentially removed anything that was funny from TV (one reason I don't watch much of anything on standard TV anymore). Everything has to have some PC slant to it. That kind of original Mad TV comedy would NEVER be allowed to be on TV these days.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:44 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,487,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
....as well as his basic inability to grasp that comedy is allowed great leeway.

you'd think he would have learned from when he tried to sue bill maher for claiming trump was the spawn of an orangutan ( to win his case trump would have had to prove that maher wasn't joking and that a "reasonable person" could believe that trump actually is the spawn of an orangutan ).

Old 02-17-2019, 04:45 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,154,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Graydon Carter (the now retired editor of Vanity Fair) stated fairly recently that he still occasionally gets photos from Trump with Trump's hands circled. It was more than 30 years ago that Carter first called Trump a 'short-fingered vulgarian'.

That's so funny! It's that petty, grudge-holding side of him.

Although I have to say that it seems to me that in my opinion everyone reacted wrongly to the comment. I think the emphasis was on "vulgarian." I miss Graydon Carter SO much. VF isn't the same without him.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, it’s called presenting the facts about a show. I know, facts are hard.
Fact is SNL creator and cast have said it is a liberal show. Don't blame me with agreeing with it. Also, I have never told people not to watch it. It doesn't have a big audience.

If you like facts so much why did you vote for Hillary given she said 'oh you mean like with a cloth' when asked if she wiped her server down.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,584,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Fact is SNL creator and cast have said it is a liberal show. Don't blame me with agreeing with it. Also, I have never told people not to watch it.

If you like facts so much why did you vote for Hillary given she said 'oh you mean like with a cloth' when asked if she wiped her server down.
So then don’t watch the liberal show if it offends your delicate sensibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.