Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Please try to not get into the usual personal rants and tyrants and hurling insults at one side or the other........thanks.

In light of this domestic terrorist being charged and seeing all the weapons and ammunition he had, is it unreasonable to have a system in place that might bring to light someone who is doing this. I'm assuming this guy purchases the stuff legally (which I know may be a big assumption).

I understand that some of the concerns with gun control is that it may make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to own a gun.

But is it unreasonable to have guidelines to control how much......

or is the concern that zealots will restrict the limits and therefore make it just as difficult.

I just wonder if we can somehow flag someone that is accumulating enough weapons and ammunition to protect a small country (over stated but you know -- gotta be a little dramatic).

You know when you are first starting out and you are applying for a mortgage, car loan, credit cards...at some point you may be denied one of those items because there has been too many hits on your credit record.

Should there be something like that for purchase of guns/ammunition or is that considered 'unconstitutional' by some folks?

I am not trying to be a smart a@@ about this. My views on gun control have been seriously impacted by great discussions on the issue & I have more understanding and appreciation for the concern about gun control measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 08:42 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
LOL it looks like everyone has had their say on this topic. No bait takers.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Yes its unreasonable, there should be ZERO gun laws.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:47 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
No matter how many guns one owns, one can only use them one at a time.
One who owns a thousand guns is no more dangerous than one who only owns a single weapon.
In fact, the person who is a gun collector is probably less dangerous than somebody who owns one pistol, IMO.
I do not admit to owning any guns. If I did admit to owning any, I would not say how many. I have never killed anybody, therefore any guns I might own have never killed anybody.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Most of the people affected by such a law are going to be hobbyists/enthusiast. It's not practical either. You can make your own ammunition and since most of the people plan these things over months or even years they would be able to obtain all the ammunition they wanted.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:49 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes its unreasonable, there should be ZERO gun laws.
Frank is right. No restriction, machine guns, genade launchers, tanks, whatever.

Because, you know, people will just get along.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Frank is right. No restriction, machine guns, genade launchers, tanks, whatever.

Machine guns, tanks all legal to own.

Silly argument.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
First, leading into a conversation with, enough weapons to arm a small Country, is disingenuous. 1000 rounds is nothing to people that hit ranges a lot. 15 total firearms is also not a lot.

Here is the gun cabinet of a typical hunter, aka sportman. He or she will have, a small gauge shotgun, a large gauge shotgun, a .22 handgun, a larger caliber handgun, a .22 rifle, a mid caliber bolt action rifle, a large caliber bolt action rifle, a lever gun and at least one semi auto long rifle. Most probably also have a shotgun equipped as a home protection weapon.

This is the gun safe for a typical person. If it's a couple then double down that. So that's 20 firearms in a house with 2 firearm enthusiasts.

Does it appear this guy is a nut job? Ya. Obviously the feds did too. But when you trot out your views that are biased and just plain incorrect? Don't expect much....

Old 02-21-2019, 09:40 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post

of course people don't get along and some the baddest actors are carrying govt credentials, which is precisely why we should have access to the same weapons it does.
I recommend you read Death by Government: Genocide and Mass Murder Since 1900 by RJ Rummel, it might open your eyes.

And good use of sarcasm by the way.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:42 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
First, leading into a conversation with, enough weapons to arm a small Country, is disingenuous. 1000 rounds is nothing to people that hit ranges a lot. 15 total firearms is also not a lot.

Here is the gun cabinet of a typical hunter, aka sportman. He or she will have, a small gauge shotgun, a large gauge shotgun, a .22 handgun, a larger caliber handgun, a .22 rifle, a mid caliber bolt action rifle, a large caliber bolt action rifle, a lever gun and at least one semi auto long rifle. Most probably also have a shotgun equipped as a home protection weapon.

This is the gun safe for a typical person. If it's a couple then double down that. So that's 20 firearms in a house with 2 firearm enthusiasts.

Does it appear this guy is a nut job? Ya. Obviously the feds did too. But when you trot out your views that are biased and just plain incorrect? Don't expect much....
And I have around 5,000 rounds of 22 ammo. why? I buy it in bulk because it is cheaper and we can go through a few hundred rounds at the range.
Besides the above, a couple antique guns (inherited from my late FIL) and a muzzle loader rifle and pistol because my wife competes at shoots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies