Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Of course he didn’t say anything racist to THEM just like all the people on this forum that say anti black crap won’t say it to any black person off the internet.

He was in The Green Berets with Ray St Jacques...Wayne wasn’t gonna say anything outta line to a guy like that or any of his other black co-stars. He wasn’t crazy.

Still, I’m pretty damn sure that they had an idea of his views. That kinda racism can’t be totally hidden for long even if it’s not exposed in the form of a blatant racist comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

Only because whitey said it. "I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.” That's what you don't like the truthful; statement as it it hits close to home.

Being raised on handouts and not earning your way or at a minimum you don't think blacks are responsible enough to make it without handouts. What matters to you most, is the color of ones skin.
If you had let the bolded stand alone without adding anything else, I might have agreed with it as in regards to many posters. However, by adding what is not in bold, it seems to me that you might have jumped to some conclusions about desertdetroiter that were not supported by his/her post. If you can point to a post in which desertdetroiter said or strongly implied that s/he does hold racist views, then I will say that what you wrote was justified.

Otherwise, I will just say that people who jump to negative conclusions about other posters without sufficient justification for doing so is something I very strongly dislike.

Last edited by katharsis; 02-22-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 11:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Only because whitey said it.

"I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

That's what you don't like, the truthful statement, as it it hits close to home. Being raised on handouts and not earning your way or at a minimum you don't think blacks are responsible enough to make it without handouts. What matters to you most, is the color of ones skin.
I was raised in Scottsdale, Arizona by a well to do father. My mother is also well to do in her own right. Handouts? My father put ALL of his children through college without a loan in sight. I don’t know what a handout looks like.

Then I went off and served my country. What’s irresponsible about any of my story?

Where were you raised, and what did your parents do? When did you ever step up and serve your country? Tell me!

In fact, that bum John Wayne was too cowardly to serve his country too, although like you, he never saw a war he didn’t like.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well Mr Wayne’s remarks were fairly typical of how people talked and felt about race relations at that time. He was at the bottom line a man of his times. It isn’t entirely reasonable to judge him by today’s attitudes. As far as military service he did have a deferment to avoid service. He could have volunteered but did not.
Meh...1970 is post civil rights. He should’ve known better by then. He was politically astute and informed enough to know what had been happening across this country and especially in the South and he apparently agreed with it.

That makes him a dirtbag. Great movies though.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM

I did not want to tag what I am going to say in this post to my previous post, but I will say that "The Cowboys" is a favorite of mine -- although it would not even make my "top 100 favorite movies" list, it would definitely make my "top 250 favorite movies list".

It might be interesting to some of you to watch the following two clips from the movie and to remember that it was VERY unlikely that Wayne would have starred in any movie if he disapproved of the script, and the movie's script portrayed Roscoe Lee Browne as a very intelligent person -- even more intelligent than Wayne's character, I think. In fact, I think his performance was the best of all of the actors in the movie, although Bruce Dern's as the bad guy came close!

Btw, in the comments below the second clip (and, warning, it contains the N-word), one commenter said, "In an interview Roscoe lee Browne stated he was warned not to work with Wayne but while they disagreed politically, he found that they both shared a love of literature and poetry which they discussed sometimes between scenes. Ironically Browne said the stereotyping came not from Wayne but from some movie critics who felt in the film "he spoke too well to be believable."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ULSyJobWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOARPYLOujQ

Old 02-22-2019, 12:01 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
That Playboy interview with John Wayne was almost 50 years ago, so I don't what made it go viral after re-surfacing in the past 7 days.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
That Playboy interview with John Wayne was almost 50 years ago, so I don't what made it go viral after re-surfacing in the past 7 days.
Good question. I thought EVERYONE knew about that interview. That interview was like a bomb had went off at the time. It was extremely controversial even then. Very few people had the gall to talk like that post-civil rights era.

He was either completely ambivalent, ignorant, or he just completely missed the zeitgeist of the time. His career hadn’t been quite what it used to be by then, he’d struggled through a few marriages and the late 60’s obviously left him bewildered. Playboy caught him at a bad time. He was obviously very embittered by whatever was going on in his life.

He didn’t live much longer after that interview either, so I suspect that he was in poor health too.

All that aside, I just can’t give him a pass. Maybe if he was from the South, I could understand. But he was a native Iowan who moved to California as a teen. I don’t believe he was taught those views. He picked those up along the way.

The things he said about Indians were just ABHORRENT!! Geez.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:32 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Good question. I thought EVERYONE knew about that interview. That interview was like a bomb had went off at the time. It was extremely controversial even then. Very few people had the gall to talk like that post-civil rights era.

He was either completely ambivalent, ignorant, or he just completely missed the zeitgeist of the time. His career hadn’t been quite what it used to be by then, he’d struggled through a few marriages and the late 60’s obviously left him bewildered. Playboy caught him at a bad time. He was obviously very embittered by whatever was going on in his life.

He didn’t live much longer after that interview either, so I suspect that he was in poor health too.

All that aside, I just can’t give him a pass. Maybe if he was from the South, I could understand. But he was a native Iowan who moved to California as a teen. I don’t believe he was taught those views. He picked those up along the way.

The things he said about Indians were just ABHORRENT!! Geez.
I missed it. I was on an extended vacation compliments of the US Army to an exotic country in Southeast asia………….

Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I missed it. I was on an extended vacation compliments of the US Army to an exotic country in Southeast asia………….
I was too young for Nam; but, I missed it too... Janice Pennington was the centerfold!

Old 02-22-2019, 01:13 PM

I just read the interview for the first time, and I was surprised at how intelligent and well-informed John Wayne sounded, although I was positively horrified at many of the things he said about what he believed.

(I just can't help but say, though, that I bet many more people really ARE reading a Playboy article now than they claimed to do in the past, LOL!)

Old 02-22-2019, 01:33 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:

He was either completely ambivalent, ignorant, or he just completely missed the zeitgeist of the time.
The guy was 64 in 1971. Quite frankly I bet he reflected the view of a lot of white guys his age despite the fact that he lived in Iowa and Cali. And at that time in Cali it wasn't too far removed from the Watts riots and the emergence of the Panthers. Both things were considered negative by conservatives in California.

I hate to defend his statements but he was a product of his times in many ways. Throw in that he was stubborn and thought he was a bad a$$ and you have the 1970 icon for what are today the goateed, shaved, gun totin' middle age right winger. Trump has made a lot of hay with the "Tough guy" image that John Wayne crafted in those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies