Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 02:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
37 years as a gandy dancer on the BNSF? I have had plenty of bad days. I came closer to being killed there more times than in Vietnam. Ever work outside in 80 degrees below zero wind chill? Or around railroad tracks where the summer temps can get to 120? All the time shoveling rock, Snow, picking ice, carrying rails and railroad ties? I'm lucky to be alive this long...……..
LOL...in that case, you may have a point!!

BTW, my great grandfather and his brother, my Uncle Etienne, were section workers for over 40 years on the RR. They used to sing some old work songs for us when they were kids. Those guys should’ve made albums! Lol...those old songs were amazing. Wish I knew the words.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 02:27 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...in that case, you may have a point!!

BTW, my great grandfather and his brother, my Uncle Etienne, were section workers for over 40 years on the RR. They used to sing some old work songs for us when they were kids. Those guys should’ve made albums! Lol...those old songs were amazing. Wish I knew the words.
Well. I can guarantee you they worked their A$$es off. When I first hired on they were still doing everything by hand...…..Chisel cut rails,dig ties in by hand,lift rails by hand,ETC. Did you know why they were called gandy dancers? What railroad did they work for?

Old 02-23-2019, 02:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
well. I can guarantee you they worked their a$$es off. When i first hired on they were still doing everything by hand...…..chisel cut rails,dig ties in by hand,lift rails by hand,etc. Did you know why they were called gandy dancers? What railroad did they work for?
Louisiana & Arkansas RR.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 PM

2,072 posts, read 889,940 times
Sorry. Can't resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Who cares what Laura Ingraham or John Wayne think? They are both entertainers. If you want to be truly informed seek knowledge elsewhere.

"Some drink from the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
When was racism ever ok ?????

"It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question."

Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well Mr Wayne’s remarks were fairly typical of how people talked and felt about race relations at that time. He was at the bottom line a man of his times. It isn’t entirely reasonable to judge him by today’s attitudes. As far as military service he did have a deferment to avoid service. He could have volunteered but did not.
Two reasons why he didn't serve in WWII...

He was married and had children.

He was under contract to a studio and they threatened to sue him if he served.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:02 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
IIRC, everyone of Duke's wives was Latino.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,400 times
John Wayne stated:
“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility.”

So what exactly is controversial about that statement?
Whites and East Asians are currently superior to all other groups on the planet becase they tend to be better educated, have functional governments, and their societies are on a much higher level of development.

Those qualities have made them and their nations superior in terms of intellect, economics, and quality of life.
There is no controversey here.

What John Wayne said is common sense.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:55 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
^^^ Defending the indefensible!

Old 02-24-2019, 06:55 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
John Wayne stated:
“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility.”

Whites and East Asians are currently superior to all other groups on the planet becase they tend to be better educated, have functional governments, and their societies are on a much higher level of development.

Those qualities have made them and their nations superior in terms of intellect, economics, and quality of life.

So smarter white people than you (figuratively) are elitists and need to be ignored and put in their place but less smart minorities also need to be put in their place. Somehow you're just perfect aren't ya?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:06 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
John Wayne stated:

That "common sense" statement is not common, in fact it requires you to put blinders on, that statement was right out of a KKK and white supremecy talking point in the 1950's. Because the education was not equal due to policies that he supported.

In essence black educational attainment could never be equal to whites in the 1950's. Whites knew this argument would always = white supremacy. Anyone that looks at cause and effect of that time and its effect on today's population due to the policies in the 1950's would see clearly now.

My wife's mother who is only 60 y/o and always willing to talk about her experiences as a child, was one of the original children integrated in 1960's Lakeland, FL, there was nothing equal or good about the education blacks received then. The segregated school she left had 2-3 books per class of 30+, so separate but equal failed blacks too.

Education for blacks was poor by design therefore very few blacks could even receive an equal education, or allowed to participate in the economic boom of the 1950's, effects are still seen today.

Segregated black schools with no books or heat in the winter, lynchings still ongoing in 1950's America, separate was never equal in America. There was no GI bill for blacks or rise of the Middle class for blacks in the 1950's and again its effects are seen today.

You cannot have 500 years of oppressive policies and no lasting effects guys, blacks have only had 2 generations without these oppressive policies (Gen X and Millennial/ Y)and judging from popular culture and rising economic numbers for African Americans I say we are doing well and pulling in close considering whites that we are measured against got a 500 year head start. I think racist like David Duke saw how quickly Black America was influencing popular culture of whites in the 1970's and 1980's and it shocked them. The return of of the white robe and KKK popularity at that time was no accident.

SO, leave that revisionist BS for the birds, if a black person even tried to obtain the same education in the 1950's they would likely be lynched or driven out of town. You can't lynch people for reading and writing, provide crappy education in black communities throughout the 60's, 70's 80's, then ***** the next 50 years when those children are now adults and don't have basic skills for jobs. White America wanted blacks trained for labor only jobs and those were the first to start disappearing essentially putting 2/3rd of a minority population at or below the poverty line in rural areas. Manufacturing jobs soon follow suit killing the black community in inner cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies