Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The guy was 64 in 1971. Quite frankly I bet he reflected the view of a lot of white guys his age despite the fact that he lived in Iowa and Cali. And at that time in Cali it wasn't too far removed from the Watts riots and the emergence of the Panthers. Both things were considered negative by conservatives in California.

I hate to defend his statements but he was a product of his times in many ways. Throw in that he was stubborn and thought he was a bad a$$ and you have the 1970 icon for what are today the goateed, shaved, gun totin' middle age right winger. Trump has made a lot of hay with the "Tough guy" image that John Wayne crafted in those days.
I was wondering if his comments were focused on the slew of race riots between 1965 and 1970 rather than black folks in general. If so, he probably should have been more specific as it does sound like a blanket indictment.

Never have been a big John Wayne, fan although he does have his moments (The Searchers).

And although I would have disagreed with him, I do love the clip of him arriving at Harvard in a tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 02:46 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
The guy was 64 in 1971. Quite frankly I bet he reflected the view of a lot of white guys his age despite the fact that he lived in Iowa and Cali. And at that time in Cali it wasn't too far removed from the Watts riots and the emergence of the Panthers. Both things were considered negative by conservatives in California.

I hate to defend his statements but he was a product of his times in many ways. Throw in that he was stubborn and thought he was a bad a$$ and you have the 1970 icon for what are today the goateed, shaved, gun totin' middle age right winger. Trump has made a lot of hay with the "Tough guy" image that John Wayne crafted in those days.
Perhaps you just have an idea inside your mind of what a tough guy is?

Goateed, shaved head (both usually due to baldness), middle age, owns a gun...just seems like a regular guy to me. Might as well even throw in “drives a truck”. I guess these are all characteristics of toxic masculinity?

Old 02-22-2019, 02:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I missed it. I was on an extended vacation compliments of the US Army to an exotic country in Southeast asia………….
Yeah...glad I was too young for that vacay!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I was too young for Nam; but, I missed it too... Janice Pennington was the centerfold!
Oh yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I just read the interview for the first time, and I was surprised at how intelligent and well-informed John Wayne sounded, although I was positively horrified at many of the things he said about what he believed.

(I just can't help but say, though, that I bet many more people really ARE reading a Playboy article now than they claimed to do in the past, LOL!)
I only read it for the articles. 🥶
Quote:

I suspect that you may be spot on.

The late 60’s definitely threw him for a loop. He must’ve thought the nation was coming apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I was wondering if his comments were focused on the slew of race riots between 1965 and 1970 rather than black folks in general. If so, he probably should have been more specific as it does sound like a blanket indictment.

Never have been a big John Wayne, fan although he does have his moments (The Searchers).

And although I would have disagreed with him, I do love the clip of him arriving at Harvard in a tank.
To me, any red blooded American has to love his films, and I’m certainly no exception. The Searchers was incredible. I don’t think there’s a JW movie that I don’t like except the Green Berets. That was atrocious. He never should’ve done that, but he was gung ho for that nonsense and hated anti war sentiment.

Still, even parts of Green Berets were pretty funny. Especially Sergeant Peterson, who kinda reminded me of myself when I was on active duty and was always trying to poach stuff from other units when we ran low on parts. Lol

Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM

10,770 posts, read 4,349,095 times
Being politically correct is actually worse than being racist when you think about it.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:05 PM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Nobody hates multi-culturism more than the right wing.
The problem lies with those that believe there's something more special about it than a homogeneous society. The weak minded brainwashed that believe there shouldn't be any homogeneous society.

So what if the "right wing" prefer it? I prefer it. Most people live around those of their own race. Nothing wrong with that. Most people prefer it.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Being politically correct is actually worse than being racist when you think about it.
The things he said had nothing to do with not being politically correct. Lots of people carry his same views even today, but they’re smart enough to pick their battles. He ain’t the first or last bigot in Hollywood.

His comments on blacks are laughable to me and he even admitted that they had every right to be pyssed off. No big deal. But his statement on the Indians is simply unforgivable. Can’t get past that one. He said some other s*** that was pretty abhorrent too, but certain things stand out.

BTW...just because he was honest doesn’t mean he wasn’t racist.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:28 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The things he said had nothing to do with not being politically correct. Lots of people carry his same views even today, but they’re smart enough to pick their battles. He ain’t the first or last bigot in Hollywood.

His comments on blacks are laughable to me and he even admitted that they had every right to be pyssed off. No big deal. But his statement on the Indians is simply unforgivable. Can’t get past that one. He said some other s*** that was pretty abhorrent too, but certain things stand out.

BTW...just because he was honest doesn’t mean he wasn’t racist.
Stop crying on the internet about what John Wayne said 50 years ago. He’s living in your mind rent free.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
The problem lies with those that believe there's something more special about it than a homogeneous society. The weak minded brainwashed that believe there shouldn't be any homogeneous society.

So what if the "right wing" prefer it? I prefer it. Most people live around those of their own race. Nothing wrong with that. Most people prefer it.
Any American dreaming about a homogeneous society is a pipe dreamer. It ain’t EVER gonna happen here no matter what so why even put fuel on the notion?

There’s what you prefer and there’s what you’re gonna get. Whites moved to a land full of red people, imported a whole bunch of black people to do the work, inherited a bunch of brown people through annexation and went begging for more to get cheap labor (always a conservative desire), and brought in yellow people to build railroads and do other work.

To sit here and daydream about an homogeneous society after all of that is pretty pathetic. I suggest you find another nation to move to because no one is leaving this one. Ever.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Stop crying on the internet about what John Wayne said 50 years ago. He’s living in your mind rent free.
Tell Laura Ingraham that.

Oh yeah..,**** John Wayne.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:36 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Any American dreaming about a homogeneous society is a pipe dreamer. It ain’t EVER gonna happen here no matter what so why even put fuel on the notion?

There’s what you prefer and there’s what you’re gonna get. Whites moved to a land full of red people, imported a whole bunch of black people to do the work, inherited a bunch of brown people through annexation and went begging for more to get cheap labor (always a conservative desire), and brought in yellow people to build railroads and do other work.

To sit here and daydream about an homogeneous society after all of that is pretty pathetic. I suggest you find another nation to move to because no one is leaving this one. Ever.
oh it will happen eventually. through marriage and mixed race kids...…..the ultimate "blending pot"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies