Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 01:44 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
True....THRIVING Jewish populations in many Arab cities. Now some cities are down to 50 or so.

Hey.....here's an idea. If Israel returns the land they won, will the Arabs return the property they stole when they expelled Jews? (I think the number was about 800,000 - that's a LOT of land that Arabs owe the Jews.)

Edit: I'm back because I found out it was 850,000 Jews that the Arabs expelled or drove out by mistreatment. Here's a map....

https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/ForeignPolicy...mber-2016.aspx
Good post. Actually IIRC Israel itself was down to a tiny number of Jews until the 19th century. I vaguely remember reading that the numbers got as low as 500. The area was controlled by the Turks.

In the 19th century a Brit, the Earl of Shaftesbury, started a project to move Jews to Israel because he was evangelical Christian, and believed that this would hasten the return of Christ. His son-in-law was the Brit foreign minister, so he was able to succeed in getting thousands of Jews to return to Israel (then Palestine). Then of course in the 20th century many more returned.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:03 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it's really smart. It exposes Democrats for what they are: anti-Semite bigots.
Claiming that Democrats, which btw most Jews are, are "anti-Semite bigots", is pretty ignorant. Just sayin.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Claiming that Democrats, which btw most Jews are, are "anti-Semite bigots", is pretty ignorant. Just sayin.
good article here from just yesterday that might open your eyes. 'Omar' is Rep Ilhan Omar (D,MN):
https://outline.com/LGSLVZ

Quote:
So far, there is no recent polling evidence that suggests a swing to Republicans among Jewish voters. But Ms. Omar’s outbursts have forced the party’s candidates for the 2020 presidential nomination to line up behind her or against her.
Quote:
It does not augur well for the party. Plenty of Democrats think Ms. Omar is just a troublemaker. In tweets and statements, she has employed several anti-Semitic tropes about Jews and money and Jews’ hypnotic powers, only to later declare she was unaware of the historical stigma attached to her words.
At least four Dem presidential hopefuls have already lined up behind Omar in saying that they will not be attending the AIPAC conference, which President Obama attended every year when in office.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:56 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
good article here from just yesterday that might open your eyes. 'Omar' is Rep Ilhan Omar (D,MN):

At least four Dem presidential hopefuls have already lined up behind Omar in saying that they will not be attending the AIPAC conference, which President Obama attended every year when in office.
Yes, I know about the creeping Antisemitism in the Democrats. I'm not sure it's any worse than the antisemitism in the Republican party though. Even if it is, it's certainly not anywhere near the level to warrant calling all Democrats Anti-Semites which is what the note I responded to said.

It's a problem, and it will eventually reach a head and be dealt with inside the party. Not a single Democrat would ever defect to the GOP over this. I'll bet you a beer on that.

Edited to add: Keep in mind that every Jewish member of Congress is a Democrat.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know about the creeping Antisemitism in the Democrats. I'm not sure it's any worse than the antisemitism in the Republican party though. Even if it is, it's certainly not anywhere near the level to warrant calling all Democrats Anti-Semites which is what the note I responded to said.

It's a problem, and it will eventually reach a head and be dealt with inside the party. Not a single Democrat would ever defect to the GOP over this. I'll bet you a beer on that.

Edited to add: Keep in mind that every Jewish member of Congress is a Democrat.
I don't disagree with most of this, although I'm not seeing much if any anti-Semitism in the GOP. Do you have any examples? Trump's approval rating is off the charts in Israel.

I agree people should be more careful with language and not label ALL Democrats as anti-Semite. After all, they did elect a Jew as Senate leader. Also people need to be careful about the distinction between being critical of Israel and being anti-Semitic.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:15 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:

Why does that mean they are lining up behind Omar? Not familiar with specific policy positions individual candidates may have taken but I would think that supporting Omar would mean attending a BDS conference etc. To not attend an AIPAC conference is an indication of a lack of support for certain Israeli positions. A candidate might not to endorse BDS positions that would mean an end to Israel as a Jewish State but then still oppose Israeli actions like the settlements that only complicate a peace settlement.

These issues are becoming increasingly political in the United States. For years, Israel took care to adopt a bipartisan approach but that started to slip with Netanyahu's speech to Congress opposing the Iran deal:

Quote:
The Obama administration sees Netanyahu and Republicans as working to undermine not just Obama's efforts to strike a nuclear deal with Iran, but his presidential authority over foreign policy. Democrats are angry at the perceived insult to the president. The effect has been to politically polarize an issue that has long been bipartisan in Washington: support for Israel.

American bipartisan support for Israel is one of Israel's greatest geopolitical assets: it helps guarantee that US presidents will provide Israel military aid, security cooperation, and vital diplomatic cover at the UN. The sense that Netanyahu might be putting that at risk is becoming a political issue within Israel itself.
https://www.vox.com/2015/3/2/8130977...eech-explained
Obama and Netanyahu clashed over issues, the settlements, the peace process, Iran but to bring it to Congress by working directly with the Republican opposition created Democratic backlash. Some Israeli's contended that Netanyahu would not be able to impact the vote but chose to potentially risk Israel's influence in order to build political support at home.

Then by moving from long held US positions (i.e., moving the embassy to Jerusalem etc.) Trump has further aligned the Republican party with Israel's goals - and not just supported a policy where the interests of the Republican party and Israel aligned (like Iran). This can well work to further undercut Democratic support for Israel.

Again ... AIPAC has been bipartisan for a reason, but that progressive Democrats might publicly distance themselves probably has more to do with Netanyahu and Trump than it does with Omar. That - and the younger non-evangelical Christian non-Trump supporting population simply is more removed in time from the Holocaust. It simply is not as responsive to Jewish concerns, looking more towards "social justice."

That's a political reality that AIPAC need somehow address to help maintain support from that segment of the US population.

In any case, it's to the benefit of Republicans to cast Democrats as anti-semitic. It is not to the long-term benefit of Israel.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with most of this, although I'm not seeing much if any anti-Semitism in the GOP. Do you have any examples? Trump's approval rating is off the charts in Israel.

I agree people should be more careful with language and not label ALL Democrats as anti-Semite. After all, they did elect a Jew as Senate leader. Also people need to be careful about the distinction between being critical of Israel and being anti-Semitic.
You're confusing political parties with individuals. No doubt some individuals who happen to be Republican may well be anti-Semitic.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:22 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Oh well, I'm now among the anti-Semitic, anti-Israel bigots
At least you admit it and are happy about it.

Quote:
You offer a crumby reason for Trump to make his decision. Unless he has reasons other than the obvious --- to help Netanyahu's reelection --- to formally acknowledge the de-facto reality of Israel's dominion over Golan, how does it help the U.S., or for that matter, Israel.
I disagree. Name any sovereign country on earth other that doesn't have the right to defend its own land.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The settlements are controversial within Israel.
Nope. They're Israel's land. Conquered in the Six-Day War (started by Syria) in 1967.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
What makes you think Dem Jews can't be bigots? Has any Dem Jew explained why they believe Israel is the only country on earth they believe doesn't have the right to defend their sovereign land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies