Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,703,443 times

Advertisements

Like I said. I would like a conservative to define conservative and use their source. Conservatism is not defined as anything that is not the liberal point of view. There are tenets of conservatism that have to do with government and economics, and in regards to the social realm, traditions. Social conservatism seeks to conserve tradition. Racism is a long running tradition in America....and more than any other group, its the conservatives who promote these old beliefs and views. This is not to suggest that liberals are not racist, its to suggest that liberals, AT LEAST, give typical black thoughts and beliefs a platform of legitimacy, while conservatives seek to discredit black thought as unintelligent, lies and or excuses.

One can be a conservative and not a racist, but one cannot make a socially conservative argument, concerning race, and not sound like a racist because the TRADITIONAL view of blacks in America, they are conserving, is a racist view. It's akin to conserving the confederate flag. It's their tradition and heritage.....but its also a symbol of oppression and racism for blacks. You can have your traditions......but you cannot have them absent the label of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The question is....does she have such viewpoints because she is looking to cash in on them from the attention she gets from having them.....or does she really believe them? Her comments sound more how whites view black thought than what black thought actually is. I mean...black people don't talk and think like she is suggesting.....but many from the white right think that is the way black people think.
So because she is black she couldn't possibly believe what she is saying? How do you know what all black people think?

Old 03-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So because she is black she couldn't possibly believe what she is saying? How do you know what all black people think?

I never stated that I KNOW what she is thinking. I never stated that it was not possible for her to come to those conclusion on her own. All I presented was that there is a strong market for her words coming from a black person and being rewarded for those words could have influenced the growth or continuation of those words. If you want a thought to grow.....reward it.

I have made no emphatic statement of "knowing". I don't know....I am just presenting possibilities and no one else KNOWS to dispute it but her.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-05-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 11:20 AM

45,571 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short, what Malcolm X was saying back then was that Blacks had no allies.
90%+ believe that white liberals are allies.

I would believe more in what you just said than what is taking place.

So how should black folk act if there are no true political allies?

Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I never stated that I KNOW what she is thinking. I never stated that it was not possible for her to come to those conclusion on her own. All I presented was that there is a strong market for her words coming from a black person and being rewarded for those words could have influenced the growth or continuation of those words. If you want a thought to grow.....reward it.

I have made no emphatic statement of "knowing". I don't now....I am just presenting possibilities and no one else KNOWS to dispute it but her.
The irony of the bolded statement should not be lost on you as you are an intelligent person.

Couldn't Owens be fully invested in her beliefs and thankful for a platform so large to share them? Your argument is the flipside of that coin is it not? And wholly partisan as well.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:29 AM

45,571 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Like I said. I would like a conservative to define conservative and use their source. Conservatism is not defined as anything that is not the liberal point of view. There are tenets of conservatism that have to do with government and economics, and in regards to the social realm, traditions. Social conservatism seeks to conserve tradition. Racism is a long running tradition in America....and more than any other group, its the conservatives who promote these old beliefs and views. This is not to suggest that liberals are not racist, its to suggest that liberals, AT LEAST, give typical black thoughts and beliefs a platform of legitimacy, while conservatives seek to discredit black thought as unintelligent, lies and or excuses.

One can be a conservative and not a racist, but one cannot make a socially conservative argument, concerning race, and not sound like a racist because the TRADITIONAL view of blacks in America, they are conserving, is a racist view. It's akin to conserving the confederate flag. It's their tradition and heritage.....but its also a symbol of oppression and racism for blacks. You can have your traditions......but you cannot have them absent the label of racism.
Really - with the bold??? Malcolm X disagrees. I noticed you avoided commenting on what he said.

When conservatives lift up a black person, that black person is a token to you. It's a no win situation in YOUR mind.

Kind of disappointing that you choose to base your today on past injustices. Your life... your choice... but don't blame others because you choose to view life through a narrow lens and limit yourself.

Maybe if liberals actually helped us, it would help me. But when you look at the schools they run... when you look at the cities they run... black folk don't benefit from their policies. We are better off on our own - and as GreenMariner stated... understanding that there are no allies in either party.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
90%+ believe that white liberals are allies.

I would believe more in what you just said than what is taking place.

So how should black folk act if there are no true political allies?

No. They believe we share a mutual interest. The belief is that we have to band together to win. That does not mean that you believe in my cause or that I believe in your cause, but that there is another force that we must work together to defeat. Black people get the short end of the stick in that deal, but blacks still view it as being a better option than the other side.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The irony of the bolded statement should not be lost on you as you are an intelligent person.

Couldn't Owens be fully invested in her beliefs and thankful for a platform so large to share them? Your argument is the flipside of that coin is it not? And wholly partisan as well.

Yes. What you say is totally possible. You don't KNOW that to be true however, which makes your theory have no more or less credibility than mine.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Really - with the bold??? Malcolm X disagrees. I noticed you avoided commenting on what he said.

When conservatives lift up a black person, that black person is a token to you. It's a no win situation in YOUR mind.

Kind of disappointing that you choose to base your today on past injustices. Your life... your choice... but don't blame others because you choose to view life through a narrow lens and limit yourself.

Maybe if liberals actually helped us, it would help me. But when you look at the schools they run... when you look at the cities they run... black folk don't benefit from their policies. We are better off on our own - and as GreenMariner stated... understanding that there are no allies in either party.

No disrespect to brother Malcolm, but why should I have to base my thoughts and reasoning on what he said? I have my own brain. He was a man just like I am a man. I think for myself. Only one who is used to parroting the rhetoric and reasoning of others would think others should or are doing the same.

He was a great man and freedom fighter.....but his mind was no more superior than mine.....so I will use my mind if that is okay with you.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
No. I am not assuming that all black people think alike. I am black and was raised in all black communities. Much of black thought on many issues is actually....conservative. That, however, does not translate into being politically conservative or voting republican.

My point is that one way people are different is that some people like to be or play the devils advocate as a way to get attention. It's kind of like verbal trolling. There is a market out there for blacks to speak out against mainstream blacks and white conservatives are the buyers creating that market demand. A black person may slightly lean conservative and quickly realize that they can gain favor and promotion by speaking against mainstream black thought, which then encourages them to double down on such thought.
Quote:
Yes. What you say is totally possible. You don't KNOW that to be true however, which makes your theory have no more or less credibility than mine.
Well thanks for admitting you are doing what I bolded in your above post, and exactly what you accuse Owens of doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies