Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 04:24 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
YOU are conflating the issue. I said that FB or whomever owns the video. Not the content.

The video is the content. Look, I spent 3 years in the multimedia industry working for a content managing platform (for a B2B model, niche market software company).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Once Facebook or Youtube have taken down a video, you are in breach of their terms and conditions as a user if you store or download that video. In other words, you as a user have no rights to own the video that Facebook or Youtube has hosted on their servers.

Downloading video from YouTube does breach Google's terms of service. Within Section 5.1 it states: "YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service, subject to the following express conditions, and you agree that your failure to adhere to any of these conditions shall constitute a breach of these Terms on your part: you agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Player, or such other means YouTube may explicitly designate for this purpose.

Quote:
"You agree not to access Content for any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Service, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user.

"You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content."

Old 03-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
The video is the content. Look, I spent 3 years in the multimedia industry working for a content managing platform (for a B2B model, niche market software company).
No it isn't. In music copyright, the music exists separately from the video, and if you use copyrighted music you don't own THAT part of the content just because you used it. That content is intellectual property in and of itself, independent of any way someone might choose to use it. So you can't upload a video with a soundtrack that someone else created and call yourself the owner of that content, although technically you own the video that you put together yourself.

Besides that, there is no right expressed in the t&c's for any user to have autonomous access to the VIDEO unless watching it while hosted on the platform. However, the creator is free to give the VIDEO to whomever he/she pleases outside of the platform, provided they are not using someone else's copyrighted content.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 PM

So, like I said, no one has the right to watch or distribute that video first streamed to a platform unless they are watching it on the platform itself. It doesn't belong to you and you only have the rights to view it if Brenton Tarrant himself emailed you a copy.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I didn't say Christianity didn't have 2 testaments. What I said was that the Old Testament was the first will of God. When he realized that the laws of Moses were not going to provide any salvation for these people who had free will, he decided it was time to bring out Jesus Christ who would die for their sins as long as they accepted him. That is the NEW Testament. It clearly states that they do not have to follow the laws in the Old Testament, only the NEW one. The NEW Testament has done away with some (ie: keeping the Sabbath - as a Christian, you do not keep the Sabbath), and kept some of the old ones: do not steal, do not lie, etc.

Christians are NOT required to follow any of the laws in the Old Testament because God gave them a NEW Testament. According to Jesus, Jesus IS God. And that is why the Jews killed him - because he claimed to be God.

Maybe you should pay closer attention next Sunday.
The Ten Commandments still stand as does many of the other teachings. Like Islam those intent on slaughter will find what they want in the Bible. The numerous Protestant versus Catholic conflicts were justified by both sides from Biblical interpretations.

If all Muslims followed your interpretation of Islam I would not turn my back on a crowd of them as I did at the park yesterday.

From catholic.org

The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value, for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.
Indeed, “the economy of the Old Testament was deliberately so oriented that it should prepare for and declare in prophecy the coming of Christ, redeemer of all men.” “Even though they contain matters imperfect and provisional,” the books of the Old Testament bear witness to the whole divine pedagogy of God’s saving love: these writings “are a storehouse of sublime teaching on God and of sound wisdom on human life, as well as a wonderful treasury of prayers; in them, too, the mystery of our salvation is present in a hidden way.”

Christians venerate the Old Testament as true Word of God. The Church has always vigorously opposed the idea of rejecting the Old Testament under the pretext that the New has rendered it void (Marcionism).

Last edited by whogo; 03-18-2019 at 05:14 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
So, like I said, no one has the right to watch or distribute that video first streamed to a platform unless they are watching it on the platform itself. It doesn't belong to you and you only have the rights to view it if Brenton Tarrant himself emailed you a copy.

This is grossly inaccurate, as explained by the link I posted. You don't understand your own example about copyrighted music, nor have knowledge about the multimedia industry. In that case only the audio part would subject to a copyright infringement case, which would be solved by muting the video. People are free to download, share, view any youtube or fb video outside of the platform as long as the creator agrees.

As a matter of fact, even viewing copyrighted content obtained illegally is perfectly legal. It's sharing or downloading it which is not. But this is not the case here.

Stop spreading nonsense.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
This is grossly inaccurate, as explained by the link I posted. You don't understand your own example about copyrighted music, nor have knowledge about the multimedia industry. In that case only the audio part would subject to a copyright infringement case, which would be solved by muting the video. People are free to download, share, view any youtube or fb video outside of the platform as long as the creator agrees.

As a matter of fact, even viewing copyrighted content obtained illegally is perfectly legal. It's sharing or downloading it which is not. But this is not the case here.

Stop spreading nonsense.
Bull.

No one is free to download any Youtube video hosted on the platform.

In order for the creator to agree, they would have to give you the video themselves, or host it on their own website, for example. No one has the right to download a video uploaded to YouTube.

In this particular case, the owner of the video directly livestreamed it to a platform, he didn't distribute it by his own means, (unless I missed it) or host it on his own platform, therefore whoever is watching it outside the platform has no right to view it, as it's against the Terms and Conditions of the platform to watch THAT video unless the platform itself is streaming it.

It says so right here. From YouTube:

Quote:
"Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user.

"You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content."
Notice it says DATA, not CONTENT.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Stop spreading nonsense.
I'm not talking solely about copyright. The videos uploaded to YouTube are not permitted to be DOWNLOADED by the viewer.

You are NOT free to download a YouTube video without the express written consent of YouTube or the content creator.

Once a video has been taken down by the platfrom - unless you are given access to it by the creator themselves, independently of the platform - there is no right to view it as you can only, within the t&C's, stream the video on the platform itself.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Stop spreading nonsense.
Oh dude. I just reread that. That's not how it works.

I host my own website with a white label video player that streams and hosts VOD behind a paywall, with licenses from all the major Performing Rights Associations, that is Geo Restricted otherwise. I also belong to said PRO's as a copyright holder. I host my own livestreams for the very reason that I don't intend to give FB live or YouTube live carte blanche over my or my artist's stream/video while it's hosted on their platform, and the paywall company monitors my site for illicit sharing and downloading.

I did not just fall off the turnip truck in regards to this subject.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Why are you so upset about people watching this video?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies