Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you Anti-Vaxxer or Pro-Vaxxer and why?
Anti-Vaxxer 20 12.42%
Pro-Vaxxer 141 87.58%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:53 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Which are "not so good" and why?

Why not take the flu vaccine?
The list of valid reasons not to are too numerous to comprehensively list. Aside the known ineffectiveness of flu vaccines due to frequent strain mismatches, as well as the rapid mutation characteristics of influenza viruses which can defeat vaccines that actually use the appropriate strains, those receiving flu shots may be more susceptible to other infections, including non matching influenza strains, and other non-flu respiratory infections, after vaccination. Furthermore, flu vaccines can cause damage to the nervous system, which may predispose you to brain inflammation and encephalopathy, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), optic neuritis, partial facial paralysis, brachial plexus neuropathy and vasculitis. Additionally, constituent elements contained in the vaccines can cause mild to severe allergic responses, including anaphylaxis. Of course, let’s not forget that while being removed from most other vaccines now, influenza vaccines still use the mercury based preservative thimerosal, which is a known neurotoxin, with suspected causal links to neurological disorders.

Surprisingly, a clinical study concluded that children receiving flu vaccinations were three times more likely to be hospitalized during the winter season, than those not vaccinated. And, in the elderly, while those receiving flu vaccination were 44% less likely to die during the flu season, those vaccinated were 61% more likely to die prior to the flu season beginning. (I wonder how the greater percentage of those dying prior to the flu season helped boost the favorable figures of those that died during).

Finally, of all vaccines, the influenza vaccine is the most “compensated” vaccine according to the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (NVICP)

Quote:
Why question the "growing" number of vaccines? What on earth is wrong with preventing more diseases that cause serious harm and suffering?
Well, one OBVIOUS reason, for those who might choose to explore issues on a deeper level, might naturally question it because safety studies only study the effects of individual vaccines administered individually, and do not study the safety of multiple vaccines administered simultaneously, which could indeed present problems in combination. In other words, a particular trace element found in a single vaccine dose ... say ... aluminum ... might not induce an adverse reaction, while the commutative amounts of aluminum in 10 vaccines administered simultaneously, or, 30 vaccines administered in a relatively short period of time, might produce serious problems. Kinda like one beer might not get you drunk, but 12 of them might be a different story? Until these types of studies are done, you’d be totally foolish to assume taking unlimited numbers of vaccines is safe. Frankly, this is more a matter of basic common sense ....

Quote:
No one is doing abortions "up to full term". That is an anti-abortion myth.
You seem to be as inadequately informed about this topic as you are about the real and legitimate dangers associated with vaccines. Fact is, the New York legislature just recently passed a bill legalizing such late term abortions in the third trimester, right up to the moment of birth. It’s no myth ... it’s now the law ... at least in the ghoulish liberal state of New York.

Quote:
The people who make and administer vaccines have done the research. Googling vaccines is not "research".
The people who make vaccines are the ones paying for the safety and efficacy studies. You get what you pay for. Those administering vaccines don’t “research” squat. They follow the instructions given them.

Quote:
No one claims vaccines are "completely safe". The risks are tiny, well known, and much less than the risks of the diseases they prevent. Vaccines use the immune system the same way infecting viruses and bacteria do. The difference is that a vaccine uses killed or weakened organisms that cannot cause illness. The vaccine is like having a two year old throw Nerf balls at you compared to Mike Tyson throwing punches.
This entire line is demonstrably false. First, one would have to assume a vaccine actually “prevents” disease, which it does not. As for flu vaccines, it claims to minimize symptoms, not prevent infections.

Moreover, vaccines by nature, induce/excite ONE element of a multi-mechanism immune system, which furthermore uses adjuvant substances to assist in exciting antibody production. Antibodies are just one element of a multi-element immune system.

Quote:
There is no vaccine that is more dangerous than the disease it prevents. Such a vaccine would never be approved.
Again, the assumption of prevention is false, and I’d rather wrestle with a bout of the flu than go into anaphylactic shock .... but that’s just me.

Quote:
Vaccines prevent dangerous diseases. If you do not get the disease you do not have to be treated for it.
If vaccines actually prevent infection, then all you pro-Vaxers should be safe from all of us unvaccinated heathens. Consequently, you can stop trying to force it upon us.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Katarina, it’s all nasty. Wishing disease and death on people isn’t exactly great.

Parents who have had kids die or seriously injured as the result of a vaccine reaction have stories as well of being treated terribly.

It’s ridiculous to try to make out one side as being nicer or meaner then the other with these types of stories. There are cruel people in the world. Some of them happen to be pro or anti-vax. That does not equate to either group as being mean or nice overall. None of it’s ok.
If you have some evidence regarding pro-vaxers that is as nasty as that CNN article, post it. I've never seen it. And I've never seen a pro-vaxer wish death on anyone.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If you have some evidence regarding pro-vaxers that is as nasty as that CNN article, post it. I've never seen it. And I've never seen a pro-vaxer wish death on anyone.
I’m sorry you’ve never seen it but I certainly have. I’m sure I’ve even seen comments on CD wishing death on people who don’t vax. I’ve also heard stories from mothers who lost children to vaccine injuries being treated absolutely terribly. If you don’t want to believe it, that’s fine but I’m not going to pretend that there isn’t cruelty on both sides because there very clearly is. I’m also not going to waste my time digging around to “prove it” to you. I’m sure you’ve seen it considering the number of vaccine related discussions you get involved in. Maybe it just doesn’t register because it’s not directed at you and the people saying it are on “your side”.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:13 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
I am pro the general vaccines, but I think there are quite a few that aren't necessary. When my son was born 2 years ago they wanted to give him HPV....not sure why he needed that at 2 months. There is legitimate concern over big pharma infiltrating health care and politics, but to deny your kid the basics seems a bit harsh. Especially when the "science" came from a hack MD from the UK that has been proven a fraud.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I am pro the general vaccines, but I think there are quite a few that aren't necessary. When my son was born 2 years ago they wanted to give him HPV....not sure why he needed that at 2 months. There is legitimate concern over big pharma infiltrating health care and politics, but to deny your kid the basics seems a bit harsh. Especially when the "science" came from a hack MD from the UK that has been proven a fraud.
I'm sure it was hepatitis B or HIB and not HPV, which is not approved for children under the age of 9.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:22 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm sure it was hepatitis B or HIB and not HPV, which is not approved for children under the age of 9.
Could have been.....It was alarming how many they wanted to give. We did a gradual schedule.

I remember in the Air Force when it was "shot" day....I was sick for like a week.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Could have been.....It was alarming how many they wanted to give. We did a gradual schedule.

I remember in the Air Force when it was "shot" day....I was sick for like a week.
Hep B is generally given at birth. HIB at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and again between 12 and 18 months. HPV around the age of 11 or so.

This link compares the vaccine schedule from birth to age 18 from 1983 to 2017. The number of vaccines just keeps growing. https://www.nvic.org/cmstemplates/nv...-schedules.pdf

Old 03-19-2019, 02:32 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
You chose not to vax for flu as a teacher in a school and in turn, under your own definition put others at risk by exposing them to your un-vaccinated self. Why is it OK for you to make that choice as a human being to stay employed and in the classroom as an unvaccinated teacher, putting students at risk but you won’t allow others to make that choice for themselves?

Did you not vaccinate because you didn’t at that point in time have immunocompromised students? If that’s the case then my question is would you allow other parents, teachers, etc. make the same choice if they knew that none of their classmates were immunocompromised?

I’m really confused by your position.
Being a teacher I am privy to my students health records. As soon as I had an immune compromised student in class I got the flu vax and have each year since due to still having his siblings in class. Given the nature of my school i will continue to get it for the rest of my career, tho due to my own health issue I did get it late this year. You as a parent have no ability to see the records of every student your child comes into contact with.The typical high school student will have 8 classes with 25 students and none of them need be the same kids. Younger students maybe in smaller classrooms but still share specials, the cafeteria, etc and are typically in closer contact than adults and students.

I am sorry you are confused but since having a student with cystic fibrosis and learning exactly what the flu can do to him I will never skip the flu vax again while I work at a public school. Neither should anyone who has a child in public school.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
AnotherTouch is correct. And therein lies the problem, or a problem, with these vaccine discussions. Parents often don't know what their kids have had; they have lots of misinformation. That is on both the pro and anti-vaccine sides. Kids need Hep B vaccine to protect them against. . . Hepatitis B.

As far as a delayed schedule, you hare just leaving your kid vulnerable longer.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Hep B is generally given at birth. HIB at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and again between 12 and 18 months. HPV around the age of 11 or so.

This link compares the vaccine schedule from birth to age 18 from 1983 to 2017. The number of vaccines just keeps growing. https://www.nvic.org/cmstemplates/nv...-schedules.pdf
Yes, isn't it nice that we can protect our kids against more diseases now? I have two friends whose kids got Hib meningitis in the early 80s before the vaccine was available. One recovered fully; one has some permanent sequelae.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies