Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:43 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't get why righties have such a hard on for guns? What is it exactly; fear? Insecurity? Pent up rage? I've never felt the need to own a gun, and I don't live in fear
And if not any of those things you mentioned, it's plain and simple Glorification of the Macho: they get off on displays of exercising power and control over others, and getting a 'charge' out of that display besides -- even seeing others do it is thrilling but best yet if they themselves do it. An amazing number of people are in desperate need of testosterone detox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,424,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
And if not any of those things you mentioned, it's plain and simple Glorification of the Macho: they get off on displays of exercising power and control over others, and getting a 'charge' out of that display besides -- even seeing others do it is thrilling but best yet if they themselves do it. An amazing number of people are in desperate need of testosterone detox.
Quite possibly the dumbest thing i've read in a very very long time. Bravo!!

Ban cell phones. People drive distracted and kill people all the time.
Ban alcohol
Ban prescription drugs
Ban pressure cookers
Ban all blunt force objects
Ban large vehicles that can be used to run over people

Honest question. Why cant lefties comprehend facts? Is it because they allow their emotions to run their lives so they cant use facts to make a rational conclusion? Every leftist I see is always so emotional.

I also find it funny the people who are too scared of even thinking about guns want to take them away. Lol Good luck!! You couldnt do it with the house/senate/president. It ain't happening. Go move to Australia.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:

Wow. I really don't know where it is you guys come up with this stuff. I've owned guns my whole life and had them even when quite young. I was hunting alone with a shotgun or 22 rifle since I was 12 and my Dad took me shooting and hunting well before that age.

Never have I seen firearms as some source of male power. I say male power since it seems you see this imaginary syndrome as a uniquely male thing with the testosterone quip. Never have I put on any "displays" of exercising any sort if power or influence over anyone. Nor have I ever seen any other gun owner do so. Guess I don't run with that crowd if it even exists. Which I doubt.

I suppose there's the odd case but it sure isn't a trait shared by all people who own and use firearms for various purposes. I don't advertise to the world that I own firearms and I'm certainly not brandishing them in public to cow tow other people. That's just a ridiculous assertion and your commentary smells like a dairy pond in the Summer time of hatred and bias toward a group of people who are not just like you.

Do you have any valid or relevant commentary to lend here or is this just a platform for you to try and exert power and control over others via insulting and derogatory rhetoric? I guess you must think that if you get nasty people will listen. Sensationalist garbage sells huh? Personally I don't think you have a sane or rational argument supporting this posted position in your head or the ability to engage in rational discourse. Insults and derision you have an abundance of though and if you think that will work then carry on. Good day.

Last edited by NVplumber; 03-22-2019 at 08:24 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 07:34 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Right... that's why we have marched right into every states Capitol with weapons openly displayed... that would be the macho thing to do afterall. To show the gubmint we ain't gonna take their slack jawed laws...

Projection. Again.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Now context matters all of a sudden?

How does the liberal logic work?
Ban guns. Guns kill.
Inanimate objects kill.

I'm simply applying their logic to a different inanimate object which is not expressly protected and guaranteed by the Constitution.
Now they don't like their logic applied to a different inanimate object?

Way to remain consistent in blaming and holding inanimate objects accountable for untimely deaths... whether intentional or not... end result is death... cars get a pass, guns don't? Oh it's a null and void argument because context now matters whether accidental or nefarious intent?
Whose this "they" you keep referring to and you're not applying "logic"; you are instead applying a false equivalency. And I believe I've expressly said banning all firearms is a fools errand. I also suggested resorting to the default "liberals" partisan silliness reduces your relevance standing. Literally millions of liberals own firearms.

Cars get a pass for not being specifically designed and intended to inflict death. They instead were designed to improve lifestyles. Firearms were not invented or designed to give people a form of recreation and I think you know the difference but CHOOSE to obfiscate.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:03 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't get why righties have such a hard on for guns? What is it exactly; fear? Insecurity? Pent up rage? I've never felt the need to own a gun, and I don't live in fear
I dont get how the lefties can judge an entire group of people based upon the actions of a very very very low percentage.

Ok you never felt the need to own a gun. Well damn that means that no one else should either.

Pssst. I own several guns and not one of them because I live in fear. I also own car insurance, not out of fear, but because in case the what if happens.

Contrary to what so many on the left think most gun owners have no desire to be forced into a fight or flight scenario due to intruders or an attacker.

I couldn't figure out what made you lefties believe what you do. Then a few nights ago while up late I watched a few episodes of Doomsday Bunkers. The lights came on. The media looks high and low for nut cases to film. Yeah after watching that show I saw idiots living the stereo type.

So let me ask you. You like to brand the entire group based upon a very, very few. Based upon what the media shows of the inner city and how people behave in the low income sections. You know drug dealers out in plain sight. Drive by shootings are pretty much a norm. Women with 4 or 5 children by different fathers. Why shouldn't we suspend the constitution for such areas and go in and arrest everyone? Deny everyone their constitutional rights because a very very few insist upon living the stereotype... Hey I have never felt the desire to live in the city, let alone the inner city or in a ghetto, I don't live with a desire to live in a low income high-rise.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Whose this "they" you keep referring to
The poster I had quoted. FirebirdCamaro.

Quote:
and you're not applying "logic"; you are instead applying a false equivalency.
Thank you for proving my point for me. That they, the person who I quoted, are in fact incapable to argue with logic but conflation, hyperbole and false equivalencies.

Quote:
And I believe I've expressly said banning all firearms is a fools errand. I also suggested resorting to the default "liberals" partisan silliness reduces your relevance standing. Literally millions of liberals own firearms.

Cars get a pass for not being specifically designed and intended to inflict death.
End user dictates end use. Nice France victims aren't any less dead... because a vehicle was used rather than a firearm.

The basis is inanimate objects. End user dictates the end use of it.
Be it a firearm
Be it a sword.
Be it a bomb.
Be it a truck.
Be it a car.
Be it a baseball bat.
Be it a hammer.
Be it any object. If one is intent, motivated, and has the incentive to kill, left in a confined area, regardless of the weapon I'm sure they will achieve their will.
In fact it's happened all over the world. Poison gas attacks, knife attacks, swords etc.
The individual, their motive, their incentive, their intent is what needs addressing. Not the implement.

Quote:
They instead were designed to improve lifestyles. Firearms were not invented or designed to give people a form of recreation and I think you know the difference but CHOOSE to obfiscate.
They weren't?
They're a form of a recreation for me and millions of others. Then again, my point stands, End user determines/dictates end use.
Firearms sustained my life for a period of time, I fed myself with venison turkey and water fowl. Mother nature > grocery store.
Firearms were invented and designed to propel a projectile. The person who physically manipulates it, unless there is a significant flaw, determines where the projectile goes yes? Or do they just chamber themselves and go off where they want when they want?

Vehicles were designed for transportation. Yes they can be used for recreation. I used to chop up camaros and 80s G bodies, build small block chevys, weld roll cages up and race them on dirt ovals.
Again. End user dictates end use.

Our laws are not effective at anything for they address the inanimate object. The one factor of the equation that has No motive, no incentive, no intent.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Oh and BruSan, I do know liberals who own firearms.

Know what separates them from me?

Their pompous, holier than thou elitist attitude of, what's good for me is not for thee.
They like to pat themselves on the back with how many hours of safety training they've got under their belt, as if they are the gold standard of what a "responsible gun owner" is.

Jokes on them. I've got more than hours... Years.
How?

Contrary to their perpetuated myth that children and firearms don't mix, I've been shooting since age 4/5.
We skipped BB guns. .22 pistol and as I aged, .22 rifles, .410 shotguns, by age 13 I was taking deer with a 303 enfield.

Anyways, the ones I know, don't see a problem with firearms and often side with conservatives when it comes to firearms. However they push the safety training mantra.

As if any other constitutional right requires a "mandatory" prerequisite before it must be exercised.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Whose this "they" you keep referring to and you're not applying "logic"; you are instead applying a false equivalency. And I believe I've expressly said banning all firearms is a fools errand. I also suggested resorting to the default "liberals" partisan silliness reduces your relevance standing. Literally millions of liberals own firearms.

Cars get a pass for not being specifically designed and intended to inflict death. They instead were designed to improve lifestyles. Firearms were not invented or designed to give people a form of recreation and I think you know the difference but CHOOSE to obfiscate.

Whether the design of firearms was intended to provide a form of recreation they nevertheless do. A lot of it. Tell me this, does the bow and arrow cause you the same feelings you have toward firearms? It was , after all, designed as a weapon for killing. It launches a missile intended to strike a target just like a firearm. In the beginning those targets were usually living. Whether man or animal.

In both archery and shooting firearms today whole sports disciplines have developed involving placing the projectiles on an inanimate target with those targets scored on accuracy. This form of recreational competition has a huge number of followers none of whom have ever committed a crime with their weapons. Firearms and shooting are not all about killing. Not at all.

And truthfully such competitions have been around since the invention of both the bow and the gun. They are just much more involved today. Shooting and archery are both martial arts. Like Karate, Tai Kwon Do, Judo, Kenjustsu etc. Look at the violence involved in these disciplines. This cage fighting and MMA stuff. By contrast nobody gets hurt in shooting. Everyone goes home in one piece happy. Food for thought.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Quite possibly the dumbest thing i've read in a very very long time. Bravo!!

Ban cell phones. People drive distracted and kill people all the time.
Ban alcohol
Ban prescription drugs
Ban pressure cookers
Ban all blunt force objects
Ban large vehicles that can be used to run over people

Honest question. Why cant lefties comprehend facts? Is it because they allow their emotions to run their lives so they cant use facts to make a rational conclusion? Every leftist I see is always so emotional.

I also find it funny the people who are too scared of even thinking about guns want to take them away. Lol Good luck!! You couldnt do it with the house/senate/president. It ain't happening. Go move to Australia.
Nobody's saying ban all guns. Even Australia and New Zealand and (gasp!) the UK have private firearm ownership.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/tag/firearms and https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/about-us

Here's something from a gun owners magazine in the UK. Sure doesn't sound like the UK is gun-free to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies