Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 PM

171 posts, read 94,591 times

Advertisements

Curious what affect Trumps election has had in your lives if any. A job? tax cut? etc. etc.

Share your political rags to riches of any noteworthy changes in your life and family.

As a youth I was a strong conservative, but evolved more middle of road as the years went by due to living in california and working in a diverse environment.

The biggest change I've experienced so far is paying more taxes this year as a result in Trumps change in the RE tax / state tax deduction, capped at $10,000.

Share your stories! Democrats or any other parties share your stories too if you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Well, the tax cut was great, I got nearly $300 dollars per paycheck more.
My retirement fund reached my goal, thanks to the great stock market, and I was able to retire 8 years early. Because the housing market opened up with more people getting jobs and better wages, I was able to sell my house for twice what I was offered 4 years ago, and I was able to buy a small ranch for my retirement.

There's a lot of good things that have happened in the past couple years, what I listed I see as directly effecting me.
Right now, I'm planning on a new business working with grant money that came from business legislation to create jobs in low population areas. I'm putting together a partnership of the county, private interests and myself to build a new opportunity for the young people in the area to get good paying permanent jobs.
I tried this back in 2011-2012, had a lot of support from private investors, but when obama was reelected, they disappeared. Now with President Trump, investor money is now available to create something that could create a lot of jobs and taxes for the county, but most importantly, the young folks wouldn't have to leave to find work anymore.

My other business I've done as a hobby for several years is opening up with lots of new orders since people have disposable income again and all their mony isn't just going to meet the minimum requirements of survival.

I know this isn't what the OP wants to hear, but i decided to answer as someone that voted for President Trump as the lesser of 2 evils with no real hope of a better future, but he has really surprised me and I'm very happy with all the progress he's made in the face of unrelenting attacks from the left.

He's really exceeded my expectations and I'll be happy to support him in 2020.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 PM

171 posts, read 94,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Well, the tax cut was great, I got nearly $300 dollars per paycheck more.
My retirement fund reached my goal, thanks to the great stock market, and I was able to retire 8 years early. Because the housing market opened up with more people getting jobs and better wages, I was able to sell my house for twice what I was offered 4 years ago, and I was able to buy a small ranch for my retirement.

There's a lot of good things that have happened in the past couple years, what I listed I see as directly effecting me.
Right now, I'm planning on a new business working with grant money that came from business legislation to create jobs in low population areas. I'm putting together a partnership of the county, private interests and myself to build a new opportunity for the young people in the area to get good paying permanent jobs.
I tried this back in 2011-2012, had a lot of support from private investors, but when obama was reelected, they disappeared. Now with President Trump, investor money is now available to create something that could create a lot of jobs and taxes for the county, but most importantly, the young folks wouldn't have to leave to find work anymore.

My other business I've done as a hobby for several years is opening up with lots of new orders since people have disposable income again and all their mony isn't just going to meet the minimum requirements of survival.

I know this isn't what the OP wants to hear, but i decided to answer as someone that voted for President Trump as the lesser of 2 evils with no real hope of a better future, but he has really surprised me and I'm very happy with all the progress he's made in the face of unrelenting attacks from the left.

He's really exceeded my expectations and I'll be happy to support him in 2020.
Its all good, glad things have really worked out for you. I know that a lot of his base, that voted for him were really struggling. Thus the curiosity, where they stand now.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
2018 gave me a massive tax hike and stock market ended in the red. Thanks Trump.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Right now, I'm planning on a new business working with grant money that came from business legislation to create jobs in low population areas.
So, they are throwing taxpayer money at you.

Don't spend it all at once.....

Old 03-23-2019, 07:59 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,028,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
2018 gave me a massive tax hike and stock market ended in the red. Thanks Trump.
think how bad it would be if you had a job...

Old 03-23-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
think how bad it would be if you had a job...
I have a job. You?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
My income more than doubled, most of my debts went away (I paid almost everything off.) I now have savings and America is becoming great again!

Now, if we could just get more people on both sides that will work with Trump instead of against him, he could get even more done!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:05 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
Curious what affect Trumps election has had in your lives if any. A job? tax cut? etc. etc.

Share your political rags to riches of any noteworthy changes in your life and family.

As a youth I was a strong conservative, but evolved more middle of road as the years went by due to living in california and working in a diverse environment.

The biggest change I've experienced so far is paying more taxes this year as a result in Trumps change in the RE tax / state tax deduction, capped at $10,000.

Share your stories! Democrats or any other parties share your stories too if you wish.
Like you I was once a staunch republican. A Bob Dole, Jack Kemp, earlier John McCain kind of conservative. After GWB I went independent. No way was I going to a party that supported Hillary Clinton after her vile attitude towards those who serve.

Obama turned out to be about what many expected. A Chicago style politician whose my way or the high style coupled with his class warfare tactics turned me away from the democrats. That said I wrote in a democrat Jim Webb.

Trumps policies haven't really impacted me. I retired January 2018 at 55. I did ok (contrary to what Obama and many democrats say) for (Myself). Trump hasn't hurt me and he hasn't benefited me.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 PM

1,417 posts, read 735,151 times
For the first time in decades I feel we still have a faint glimmer of hope for the nation I love so dearly. Trump's words protecting the unborn, his unflinching defense of this nation, brings a tear to my eye.

As a man of business, I have never seen such an awesome economy. It is stunning in its breadth. Trump's admin has rolled back regulations on business. One of my businesses is a small business consulting practice. Under Obama you would have had to be a damn fool to enter into a concept that required captive employees. Under Trump it is becoming viable again. I know retail franchisees that stopped expansion under "you didn't build that, Obama". Under Trump they are dusting off those old plans and opening up new shops.

Back last recession I bought up a bunch of heavy equipment on the cheap on pure spec and paid someone to preserve the hydrolics etc and put them in storage; I sold the last of it last fall. It is amazing out there.

Greatest President of my lifetime, Trump has eclipsed even my beloved Ronald Reagan. It is still early, but he may be remembered as one of the greatest Presidents in this nation's history if he gets the wall built and flips immigration to be merit based. . Funny thing too, I really knew nothing of him until he ran for office. I may have heard the name in passing but I had no idea who he was. He is far too liberal for my taste, but he has changed my opinion on moderates. If he wins re-election I hope he will take the kid gloves off and prove me wrong and go full bore conservative.

God bless this nation and Donald Trump.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 03-23-2019 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies