Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 12:34 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Frankly speaking, given Trump's general lack of deep interest in policy, foreign or domestic, except for how it can cater to his special interests and his base of followers, it's probably safe to say that he's doing this for domestic political concerns. He's always been all show, no go in terms of actions and tasks.

So I doubt anything is going to come out of it. Always a show horse, never a work horse.

Fair enough. I didnt vote for the guy myself, as I had doubts about him. I also didnt (and still dont) expect consistent policy or results from him, although occasionally I am pleasantly surprised with things (and disappointed also). That said, the obvious TDS liberals suffer over fairly innocuous things like asking his SecState to study the SA no compensation land appropriation situation from the minority just makes me roll my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, if you lived in South Africa, then you know darned well that things have to change after 300 years of baasskap. That's the reality. Do you have any solid proposals/recommendations from a South African standpoint?
300 years of "baasskap"? 300 years? Do you have a realistic grasp of the history and timeline of the country at all? Apartheid became policy in 1950, and ended in 1994. You should google "Plasmoord" if you want a recent history lesson from South Africa on a hot topic outside of your worldview..

There is a movie called 'Red Dust" starring Hillary Swank that is a good watch. It is primarily about the reconciliation trials that were held post aparthied, in an effort to avoid mass revenge bloodshed. (Nelson Mandela did have some good ideas). In it there is one line given by a white South African cop where he says to another white cop "It was a war, and we lost. We have to live with that now".

Its just a movie line, but I believe that is a good perspective to go from. Apartheid was evil, and the majority black populace will not forget it for many generations.

Although also Africans by birth (generations deep), I do not believe that white South Africans will have a long term peaceful existance there for the most part. They are just 10% of the population now. I dont have faith in the country in that regard.. I think they should encourage/help their children to emigrate elsewhere (children who had nothing to do with apartheid), and themselves if they can. It's that or continue to slide down the path as second rate citizens at best. The current policies in South Africa certianly reflect that trend. The post apartheid leaders elected by the country have slid downhill for sure. ( Mandela-MBeki-the idiot Zuma, and now the loathsome Ramaphosa). The tolerance of the white ethnic minority has slid downhill with each of them. It will not improve.

As for the black South Africans that remain? Good luck. I mean that. Many are good people.

Last edited by snebarekim; 04-07-2019 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 10:13 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post

300 years of "baasskap"? 300 years? Do you have a realistic grasp of the history and timeline of the country at all? Apartheid became policy in 1950, and ended in 1994. You should google "Plasmoord" if you want a recent history lesson from South Africa on a hot topic outside of your worldview..
Oh puhleez, DuPreez.

White supremacy and exclusion didn't just happen with the Nats getting power in 1948 and enacting laws like the 1950 Group Areas Act. You know that. I was referring to the domination and power that started well before then. It's started well before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies