Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:00 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,774,095 times

Advertisements

It's a question without easy answers. If you take the "Healthcare is a right." position, do you mean that all healthcare is a right?

If so, my wife can go get Hollywood level cosmetic surgery so she can look like a 20-something year old woman with a perfect body, flawless complection, etc. Teeth whitening just became a human right. Boob jobs just became a human right. Permanent hair removal just became a human right. All your cosmetic or "nice to have" stuff in the healthcare industry just became a human right. People with trivial health concerns will also flood doctors' offices because it's free so why the hell not, right?

So obviously you have to have limits and that's where the whole thing gets messy. Every case of socialized medicine on the planet has to ration care. Because they ration care, in the UK if you need to be on Kidney dialysis, they just let you die. Cancer survival rates are significantly worse in countries with socialized medicine. If you're checked into the hospital, most people are expected to either bring their own food or have somebody bring it to them. There's a lot of things that change when you head down that road. The best of the best in every medical field tend to exist outside of the socialized medicine bubble because they can't make a lot of money there.

Honestly, I'm on the fence on this one. There's good reasons on both sides of the issue. The best I can say is this: Show me that in a family making less than 100K it would cost me less money per month and provide me better care and I'll be very very interested. Otherwise, I'm probably against the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 01:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 685,357 times
Quote:
Because they ration care, in the UK if you need to be on Kidney dialysis, they just let you die. Cancer survival rates are significantly worse in countries with socialized medicine. If you're checked into the hospital, most people are expected to either bring their own food or have somebody bring it to them.
That's pretty much nonsense, i know several people on kidney dialysis in the UK who have treatment every week and are certainly not left to die, by contrast I've never known anybody who has been left to die. Cancer survival rates may be worse, among those who are diagnosed, but then the US has many more people who don't get diagnosed at all, life expectancies overall there are worse than in pretty much any other developed country and falling further and further behind despite the massive amounts spent. Life expectancy in all these countries with 'socialized' medicine wouldn't be higher than the US if they 'just let people die' every time they needed dialysis, cancer treatment or whatever other treatment.

I've never heard of having to provide your own food in hospital, that certainly isn't the case in the UK, and I also have experience of the Spanish healthcare system, it isn't the case there either.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Survival rates may be good for those who get treatment, but are they counting everyone else who has to wait too long? UK's NHS Cancer treatment wait times are the worst ever.
Yes, because survival rates are measured from diagnosis not from treatment.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No different than the UK letting people go blind instead of treating them.
You seem to completely ignore time after time the fact that 99.5%+ of those needing that treatment in the UK do get it, and the proportion of those needing it that don't get it is significantly lower than in the US system.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:06 PM

5,677 posts, read 5,115,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And for 28.5 million uninsured people in the US, there are no wait times they simply don't get treatment.
And exactly who, in your mind, should be paying for them? The government? The government doesn’t have or generate any money to give, only what they take from working Americans by threat of force. Me? I have my own family to care for. You *are* free to write a check from your own funds if so inspired.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:14 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,545,773 times
Why aren’t these 28.5 million Americans on an ACA plan? Is there any official data to support this number, and also explain why they aren’t enrolled in ACA? This is a genuine question. Does anybody have a genuine answer?

Old 04-20-2019, 03:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 26,567,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Why aren’t these 28.5 million Americans on an ACA plan? Is there any official data to support this number, and also explain why they aren’t enrolled in ACA? This is a genuine question. Does anybody have a genuine answer?
The vast majority aren't eligible for expanded medicaid but lack the income to enroll in the ACA. You know you could have looked that up for yourself.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:26 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,545,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The vast majority aren't eligible for expanded medicaid but lack the income to enroll in the ACA. You know you could have looked that up for yourself.
I actually tried, but was unable to find any definitive sources of information. Just the same stuff you just posted. But thank you anyway.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 26,567,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And exactly who, in your mind, should be paying for them? The government? The government doesn’t have or generate any money to give, only what they take from working Americans by threat of force. Me? I have my own family to care for. You *are* free to write a check from your own funds if so inspired.
The same people who pay for Trumps Mar-a-lago weekends, Ivanka and Javankas's vacations, 2 million on questionable cabinet member travel and office upgrades, the $780,000 extra that Mnuchin spent on flying on military planes rather than commercial airlines, you know...the swamp monsters

Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,579,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Aren’t you, though? You have stated that you believe it is selfish and arrogant for Americans to want a choice in their healthcare, and you constantly bring up Americans who don’t have healthcare as your club to beat your opponents over the head with on the matter.

If you don’t believe that Americans should have choice, and that we are all jointly responsible for the healthcare of our fellow Americans, then you are speaking out as a collectivist, and it should be no surprise that people recognize that.
There you go again with the fallacious strawman. I have said no such thing as it being selfish and arrogant for Americans to want a choice regarding their healthcare. I have said it is selfish and arrogant while claiming the right to choice and already having yours, to completely ignore the fact millions of Americans have no choice at all.

Why does your modus-operandi always default to that nonsense of erecting and attributing a false narrative ?

What you're essentially admitting is: my "club" of Americans dying by the thousands each and every year for lack of any healthcare is a bigger and better "club" than your paltry "wait times" club?

That's why you resort to the personal attack and refuse to even address that or the fact over 20% of you are delaying for a year or more (a YUUUUGE wait time, by the by) seeking needed healthcare due to cost implications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies