Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
It wasn't always like that. Late 80s to early to mid 90s was when rap was at it's best.
Few good ones today. The new mumble rap trend is eh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Our parents and grandparents generations used to say the same thing about classic rock, like The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Metallica, etc.

Rap is just whats popular today with young people....I can guarantee though, when they get older and have kids, they will NOT like the music their kids are listening to.
I actually like a lot of the stuff my kids listen to. Not all of it but certain songs like 69 gotti, xxx, lil pump. I don't like all of it just some random songs.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:25 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Did you know that that term originated from the cracking sound of the overseers whip?

Did you know that the term Honk-y originated from the solicitation of black females by white males who would come "honk" their car horns for service?
Cracker dates back hundreds of years before that.

Like the n-word it's also can be either. If an n-word calls an n-word my n-word, it might be okay. I've got family in Georgia. Calling someone a cracker can be a compliment. Or it can be racist. But really no one in Georgia is going to get all that worked up about being called a cracker.

Honky is more elusive. As a pejorative, it's relatively new. Never heard that one, could be. I ascribe more to the variation of hunky, hunkies being a pejorative for central European laborers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9TS1pRmajU

Love those old SNL skits.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:33 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Nobody here said rap sucks
Oh then please allow me to be the first. Rap sucks! Rap is crap.

It is a cultural cancer and the fact that it's the most popular form of music right now doesn't change that one bit. Remember at one time disco was all the rage, then hair bands. Popular =/= good.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
It wasn't always like that. Late 80s to early to mid 90s was when rap was at it's best.
I agree. I am white and was a teen in the mid-90s, and I loved that era of rap. There was an art to it, and lots of conscious rappers. Even those that did have violence in their music, it was referenced in the context of their struggles of survival, not just randomly talking about violence, guns, drugs, degrading women, etc. Rappers like Common, Nas, Roots, Mos Def and Talib Kweki, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest were my favorites. Even though Biggie, KRS, Wu Tang, old Jay Z, etc may not have been defined as “conscious,” they were still awesome artists and I loved their music because of the talent.

I honestly cannot understand a word said by these rappers today, which is why I no longer listen to it and had no idea who Nipsey Hustle was. Unfortunately the current rappers is why most whites dismiss rap the way they do. They don’t realize that back in the day, it was actually artistic. Many whites like me loved rap from the 80- early 2000s.

Even the style of dress that rappers have nowadays is disgusting. Really tight pants that sag at the waist so you can see their underwear. Tight clothes in general. Tattoos all over their necks and faces. Or unkept dreads.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:09 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
If people here think rap sucks so much, why complain or care?

It's the number 1 genre in the country so plenty of people disagree.

Which plays right into the Dumbing of America. I had never heard of the guy until I saw he was killed. I heard his name and sounded like comedian Nipsey Russel from years a ago.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm not quite getting why this guy is all of a sudden a saint ? I do understand that he did help the local community , and that is a good thing but I've seen some instagram stuff of his. One in particular sort of tells me he is just another ignorant hood rat. He was in a plane, and was stating how some white cracker (an elderly person, you could see in the background) told him to put his headphones on (it appeared he had been watching a movie on his phone) and he didn't like it and that old cracker was lucky he didn't get slapped and he would deserve it because of slavery. And that respect is earned. Now keep in mind, his statement was full of profanities. The irony is, he lost the whole "respect is earned" thing by disrespecting all the others on the plane with his phone blasting away in the first place.

Something tells me this is his really attitude towards people, not the saint like one the media is giving him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
He's the sanctified 'enlightened thug' that is so "deep" (i.e he writes poetry and wants to help the kids now) .

Tupac had the same noteriety. Nipsey was basically a "reformed" gang banger and "socially conscious" but he and his "homies" still were the type to Crip walk, and remind people of who they "used to be" for the sake of credibility despite whatever changes they allegedly made in their lives.

He had the same catatonic, schziphrenic personality of walking that fine line of "setting an example" and also showing you "how we get down in Crenshaw" when the time calls for it.

I remember when this came out, I knew exactly what he was about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV35i7FdOvs

WHen he was shot dead in front of his business...I wasn't the least bit surprised. The guy who did it was another gang banger who he probably slapped and through up gang signs in front of at some time in the past.
Have to agree.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Plus Farrakhan spoke at his funeral . That is pretty telling .

Not a peep from the liberal Jewish Mayor of L.A .

Old 04-12-2019, 12:57 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Which plays right into the Dumbing of America. I had never heard of the guy until I saw he was killed. I heard his name and sounded like comedian Nipsey Russel from years a ago.

Obviously never looked into folks like JCole.
https://youtu.be/eRaFMlZ1YHA

https://youtu.be/wvFDXV0VBg4

Old 04-12-2019, 06:25 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Our parents and grandparents generations used to say the same thing about classic rock, like The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Metallica, etc.

Rap is just whats popular today with young people....I can guarantee though, when they get older and have kids, they will NOT like the music their kids are listening to.
There is a big difference, though.

For example, The Beatles were musicians and could sing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies