Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
And diversity isn't what brought man out of the stone-age. An understanding of the physical world has nothing to do with knowing some obscure fact about Congolese culture.

Do you honestly believe it was diversity that got us to the moon? All of our "rocket-scientists" had been Germans under Hitler, and they were by far the most-advanced country in the world at the time, and they despised diversity.

Once again: I said NO SUCH THING! I said it wasn't the lack of desire to learn new things that brought us from the stone age, that applies the rocket scientists too!

Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Culture is things like food, music, art, etc., please do tell us what lands people flee because of those things? Personally, I believe those things from other lands add a lot to American life.
A broader definition includes shared attitudes, values, goals and practices.

With 325+ million people, there is no such thing as a singular US culture.
Politicians and the media that feeds off them seem to focus on a them vs us ideology.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,164,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I often hear liberals tout "diversity" as being a wonderful goal that is obviously advantageous to everyone. The term "diversity" has been highjacked from genetics, in which genetic diversity is favorable for adaptation, and applied to social interractions with the presumption that it provides the obvious benefit seen in evolution.

However, the least diverse nations tend to be the most productive, wealthy, and crime free, while those nations with extensive ethnic diversity suffer. Diversity brings about lack of cultural cohesion, confusion over multiple different languages, and strife among the different ethnic groups. Witness the Bosnian War and the multiple wars in Africa- all fought over "diverse" groups failing to get along. Japan is an excellent example of complete lack of diversity, yet they thrive.

My alma mater was in a town that was essentially 100% white (sans the college students). A literal communist city council woman and subsequent mayor sought to make the city more "diverse" and actively recruited citizens from Chicago to come to the town. The town is much more "diverse" today with a much larger ethnic population. However, crime has gone up 10X, there is a part of the town identified and a "no go" area, city wide test scores have declined in schools, and students from the university are periodically victimized by the "diverse" citizens.

I went to a highschool that as 50% black, 10% Hispanic, and 10% Asian. Whites were a minority in the school. Crime was rife in the school and violence was quite common; most groups socialized among themselves and did not interact at all. My kids went to a highschool that was 15% Black, 5% Asian, and 5% Hispanic- the balance white. They had more "minority" friends than I did in highschool and routinely interacted with all students. There was no crime in the school whatsoever.

I am wondering what is the touted advantages of "diversity", as I see more negatives than positives. I understand the goal and perceived benefit, but I rarely see that occur when implemented. Any thoughts?
Diversity never has and never will do anything to improve a situation.............worthless

Old 04-22-2019, 10:18 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
It does not require you to feel superior, it only requires you to not value it.

My nephew is always wanting to tell me some obscure fact he learned about something that I simply don't give a **** about. I try to be respectful and listen to him, but I don't care.

He played Yu-Gi-Oh for years, and he kept trying to explain to me the different cards, decks, and other aspects of the game. But it just doesn't interest me.

I suppose if I'm more interested in video games than Yu-Gi-Oh then I think video games are superior. But that is a silly way to think about it.

Every choice you make is a choice of what action or inaction is deemed superior for your needs, wants, desires, interest, etc. You find playing video games a "superior" way to spend your time than Yu-Gi-Oh.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Diversity leads to more trouble and racism because in a homogeneous area, there is no one to be racist against. In diverse areas there are more people to be racist against.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Diversity never has and never will do anything to improve a situation.............worthless
I pretty much agree. The reason that diversity is being pushed more and more of late is because liberals want to change the demographics of this country and the Democrats want more voters for themselves.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
And you are telling me that the culture of France, Switzerland, and Germany is markedly different?

Of course they speak four different languages- most Europeans do.

The "cultural difference" between the French, German and Swiss is about as much as the cultural difference between Wyoming and Montana

The differences between French and German culture are vast and readily apparent in things like their architecture, literature, music, cuisine, language, dress, the cars they build, etc., etc. etc..

Please do tell us of how those vast differences also exist between Montana and Wyoming as you allege.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A broader definition includes shared attitudes, values, goals and practices.

With 325+ million people, there is no such thing as a singular US culture.
Politicians and the media that feeds off them seem to focus on a them vs us ideology.
Aspects of US culture are being eroded, that would relate to the middle and working class, which is huge. No one really wants to talk about it.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Diversity leads to more trouble and racism because in a homogeneous area, there is no one to be racist against. In diverse areas there are more people to be racist against.

Liberal areas with diversity have just as much racism as the south. Think of Miami and the materialism, consumerism that drives people's lives there, while the south just has a toxic liberal underclass culture clashing with the conservative more religious culture.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:24 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
We do have an identifying American culture and part of it is the English language. Anyone who states otherwise is in serious denial. Just because we have some minority cultures living among us doesn't change that fact. We aren't multi-cultural per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies