Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times

Advertisements

My Conservative Republican upbringing is why I oppose abortion outside of rape (this includes incest) and to save the woman's body. I am not voting for these pro-abortion or anti-abortion bills as it would a woman's reproductive rights. I, however, am speaking out against abortion. Also, while I don't know the stats, aren't most unwanted pregnancies from unprotected sex or contraceptive failures? By this, I mean two people who sane enough to decide to get jiggy with it. If so, a woman and her lover are essentially murdering the result of a foolish action: consensual unprotected sex or failure of contraceptives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 10:37 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Just more of the usual.....

SAVE THE FETUS/SCREW THE CHILD
LOL, but a pretty accurate description of what it entails.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The right choice. But the law isn't in the right and wrong business. It is in the legal and illegal business as it always has been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The right choice is different for every woman.
This is true, however, if their situation was different, perhaps a different choice would have been made.

There has been a 26% between 2006 and 2015 decrease in abortions, even so, 73% in this 2005 survey stated the reason for the choice to abort was financial.

Reasons u.s. Woman Have Abortions

"The fact that many women cited financial limitations as a reason for ending a pregnancy suggests that further restrictions on public assistance to families could contribute to a continued increase in abortions among the most disadvantaged women.
<snip>
In the in-depth interviews, the language women used suggests that abortion was not something they desired; instead, these women were deciding not to have a child at this time. Facing unintended pregnancies, they clearly understood the implications of having a child (most of them firsthand) and were aware of their options. They saw not having a child as their best (and sometimes only) option.

Some advocates have used highly selective samples to claim that the majority of women having abortions are coerced into the decision.15 Such claims suggest that women lack control over their own lives, but our findings attest that women independently make the decision to have an abortion. The proportion of women citing influence from partners or parents is small (and has declined since 1987), and fewer than 1% of respondents indicated that this influence was their most important reason."

Yet the reason the majority give, is glaring. Which tells me we have (as always) a social economic issue, not an abortion issue.

Interesting enough, what I find interesting any way, is that (globally) women are not giving birth at replacement rate levels, as well as a decrease in abortion, says women are not getting pregnant as they did in the past generations. Not sure what all that means, but I'm sure in about 25 years from now, society will find out. Old people and fewer children --- can't be good.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:26 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

Yet the reason the majority give, is glaring. Which tells me we have (as always) a social economic issue, not an abortion issue.

Interesting enough, what I find interesting any way, is that (globally) women are not giving birth at replacement rate levels, as well as a decrease in abortion, says women are not getting pregnant as they did in the past generations. Not sure what all that means, but I'm sure in about 25 years from now, society will find out. Old people and fewer children --- can't be good.
Conservatives absolutely refusing to accept it's true that it takes a village to raise a child don't help matters.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:29 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Deciding whether or not to carry a pregnancy is an individual, private decision and should be decided by the woman not the government, state or federal.

Roe v Wade got it right.
Yes. Roe v Wade did indeed get it right.

The ability of a woman to have control of her body is critical to civil rights. Take away her reproductive choice and you step onto a slippery slope. If the government can force a woman to continue a pregnancy, what about forcing a woman to use contraception or undergo sterilization?

Old 05-15-2019, 04:50 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I know women that have miscarried in the first few weeks and grieved tremendously that they lost their baby.

But according to you they weren't having a baby? Huh.
They were grieving the hope and idea of a baby. It was an embryo or fetus that "miscarried".
Embryos and fetuses can't survive on their own. Each is fully dependent on its mother's body, unlike born human beings which are known as babies.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:17 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Worrisome, but I suppose not surprising.

How Banning Abortion in the Early Weeks of Pregnancy Suddenly Became Mainstream
By Sabrina Tavernise

The reversal is evidence of a fundamental shift in the landscape of abortion in America. The math on the Supreme Court has changed ... states are rushing to make changes. Newly confident red states are passing some of the strictest prohibitions the country has ever seen.

In their sights is overturning Roe v. Wade ... And many in the movement believe that the so-called heartbeat bill — a ban on abortion as early as six weeks of pregnancy, often before a woman even knows she is pregnant — is the way to do it. The bill flies in the face of decades of Supreme Court decisions, like a dare to the American legal system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/us/ohio-abortion-heartbeat-bill.html
This is pushback from the extreme position of the left, pushing abortion right up until the moment of birth. If they had not begun pushing such extreme measures, the pro-life movement would not have pushed back so strongly.

A simple compromise would be to allow abortion in the first trimester, as the SCOTUS has ruled is constitutional, and outlawing it thereafter, providing easy OTC access to the morning after pill. If people cannot afford birth control and condoms, then they need to take a look at where their money is going.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
They were grieving the hope and idea of a baby. It was an embryo or fetus that "miscarried".
Embryos and fetuses can't survive on their own. Each is fully dependent on its mother's body, unlike born human beings which are known as babies.
False. It wasn't the hope or idea of the baby. It was a baby. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a miscarriage because there would be nothing to miscarry. You don't miscarry "hope."

Know any babies that are 100% independent at birth? Don't need anyone to care for them, feed them, clothe them, etc.?

Me neither.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Conservatives absolutely refusing to accept it's true that it takes a village to raise a child don't help matters.
Doesn't take a village. Takes 2 parents. /shrug/ Be responsible for your own kids.

Responsibility. Accountability. Common sense. Self respect.

Keep arguing against these character traits and see how screwed up it will be in 10 years.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:01 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
I'm fine with a new heartbeat law being the standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies