Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Why would Elizabeth Warren have anything to do with my hypothetical kids and where I choose to send them for childcare? I know plenty of people who are resentful of childcare cost, when to me it seems pretty reasonable for what they get, and it boggles my mind that they want to do their child's care on the cheap. I'm sorry it's expensive, but children are expensive.

Sorry, bub. No kids here. But if I had them, where did I imply that I would expect anyone else to pay the costs?

I don't know. Why not ask parents?

So you don't think care of your children is worth very much?

And you live off the grid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
My opinion.
Universal Child care would be the greatest mistake to this country.
Laugh as you might............
A child needs the bonding of its' parents during infancy not strangers.
The mother needs to be at home with the baby not at work in a stressful environment.
This is not going to end well.................

Old 04-25-2019, 07:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
These Democratic candidates sound like they're Oprah on a favorite things show. "You get a car! You get a car! And you get a car!"

Who the hell do you think will be paying for all these free things they want to give away and why aren't they concerned about the people on our streets, child trafficking, starving children and the opioid problem?

The middle class can't take all of the taxation that would be required for these things without sinking into poverty themselves.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
wow someone reasonable on here... why is this forum a cesspit of weird republicans
You noticed?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:03 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
My opinion.
Universal Child care would be the greatest mistake to this country.
Laugh as you might............
A child needs the bonding of its' parents during infancy not strangers.
The mother needs to be at home with the baby not at work in a stressful environment.
This is not going to end well.................
My mother was a career woman. She worked in a unionized facility. One day there was a union meeting where they would be complaining about the lack of national child care. Mom made a passing remark about being happy she didn't have to go to that one. When I asked her if she had some opposition to child care ( as she had certainly utilized it herself it seemed odd) she responded of course not. But these people seem to think the government is responsible for it. Why? Since when is the government responsible for people's childcare issues? When did this become government responsibility?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:25 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This is common sense and I totally agree. Anyone that takes quality care of any member of my family young or old is worth every penny of value that they place upon themselves. Warren is great in that she not only presents great policy but she has it all worked out in detail. She is a numbers and policy wonk with a history to prove it.
You know why this is really laughable? Because it shows you actually took that inane post you quoted seriously.

Certainly Eliz Warren hasn't diverged from the Kamala-led idea that all teachers deserve about a 20% raise right now ... therefore this would cost EVEN MORE.

No one requires both parents to work. No one requires folks to have kids. No one requires folks to choose some ultra-certified daycare where the workers get paid as if their job extends beyond keeping kids alive and safe and socializing them.

turning the corner, I'm wondering about this ...

Quote:
One in three households spends more than 20 percent of income on child care—three times the threshold considered “affordable†by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
What's considered the affordable level for healthcare? 50%?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Why would Elizabeth Warren have anything to do with my hypothetical kids and where I choose to send them for childcare? I know plenty of people who are resentful of childcare cost, when to me it seems pretty reasonable for what they get, and it boggles my mind that they want to do their child's care on the cheap. I'm sorry it's expensive, but children are expensive.

Sorry, bub. No kids here. But if I had them, where did I imply that I would expect anyone else to pay the costs?

Dude, they're babysitters. Minimum wage types.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Why would you NOT want the people in charge of your kid(s) for a good percentage of their waking hours-- keeping them safe, fed, clean, educated, socialized, entertained, disciplined, etc.-- to be paid well??? I wouldn't think care and wellbeing of a vulnerable and helpless member of my family would be someplace I'd want to skimp.
That really isn't the point.

From the articles posted in the OP, the point is about tax payers subsidizing childcare on a national level as well as Warren thinking that the caregivers at accredited (I'm assuming they'd have to be accredited) daycare centers should be paid the same as public school teachers.

Keeping children at daycare centers, safe, fed, clean, "educated" etc., is already being done by daycare center care givers at their current salaries or hourly wages. If it isn't, then the daycare centers should be closed.

As it is, folks who don't have kids complain about their property tax dollars funding public schools. I don't blame them. To add to their taxes funding the daycare costs of people with children? No.

If you can't afford to have children and pay for their 6 week-4 year old "care" outside of the home and until public school kindergarten starts? Don't have them until you can.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:59 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Why would you NOT want the people in charge of your kid(s) for a good percentage of their waking hours-- keeping them safe, fed, clean, educated, socialized, entertained, disciplined, etc.-- to be paid well??? I wouldn't think care and wellbeing of a vulnerable and helpless member of my family would be someplace I'd want to skimp.
Have you checked out the cost of daycare? And that’s now with current pay. It was like a second mortgage payment every month for two small children.

Is she advocating for daycares to be government (taxpayer) funded and unionized? So we will be paying for kids to go to school from the cradle til they’re in their early to late 20s? The terrifying thing is every time she comes up with one of these ideas the rest of the candidates start talking about it or trying to go one better. And with her student loan forgiveness she may con enough people to vote for her. She needs to pick one and stick to that instead of being all over the map. She can’t have reparations, free college, student loan forgiveness AND subsidized daycare that pays its employees the same as degreed teachers all in the same platform. All while increasing the minimum wage and raising taxes on people who will just move their money somewhere else. I really hope people understand she’s just throwing unattainable proposals out there that she will never get passed.

Last edited by katygirl68; 04-25-2019 at 11:16 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:

And yet childless you will be paying the cost. How do you think she’s going to accomplish this? It will be taxpayer funded. It would have to be. There is no way she’s proposing that all these stay-at-home moms enter the workforce by paying higher daycare costs. These are the women who can’t afford childcare now. Do you ever think past the headline to what this would entail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies