Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 02:23 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Wealthy people hogging all the wealth is a HUGE problem, so what if say there was a limit, where they earned say 120K which is MORE than enough to live pretty comfortably, no one really needs anymore than that, and every cent they earned afterwards was taken and invested in schools, education, healthcare etc.? No one on the planet needs huge fancy Yachts, dozens of sports cars, huge mansions etc. etc. all the money greedy wealthy people waste on such garbage would be far better spent on helping poor people, helping sick people and the like.
I assume you are just trolling but how about any one who has more than I do is wealthy and should have to give me stuff.
Sounds fair to me.
Maybe not fair to them.
But as my dad told me everything isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 03:35 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Two key points that many under-informed people miss...

1) Corporations don't pay corporate taxes. Their end customers/clients/consumers do. The taxes they pay are included in the pricing formula that determines what YOU have to pay for their goods/services.

2) The middle/working class already pays next to nothing in federal income tax, as it is. This will be eye-opening for many... Take a look at which income groups have a zero or negative effective federal income tax rate in the chart on page 10, and which groups pay the highest effective federal income tax rate. The bars you're looking for are light blue, Average Individual Income Tax Rate. The baseline is 0% and the light blue columns are graphed from a tax rate of below 0% to greater than 0%.

Page 10: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45145.pdf
They take $191 in federal income taxes from my check every pay period (looking at my pay stub), I would not call that next to nothing and that’s only one tax they also take out from two others (f.i.c.a and f.i.c.m) which is another $167 combined. I have no issue with it, but I think the rich should also contribute a greater portion, not the ridiculous 70% that AOC is advocating for, but more than what working class and middle class are putting in.

Or are we talking about something completely different?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:11 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
They take $191 in federal income taxes from my check every pay period (looking at my pay stub), I would not call that next to nothing and that’s only one tax they also take out from two others (f.i.c.a and f.i.c.m) which is another $167 combined. I have no issue with it, but I think the rich should also contribute a greater portion
They already do. Did you NOT read the link I posted?

Take a look at which income groups have a zero or negative effective federal income tax rate in the chart on page 10, and which groups pay the highest effective federal income tax rate. The bars you're looking for are light blue, Average Individual Income Tax Rate. The baseline is 0% and the light blue columns are graphed from a tax rate of below 0% to greater than 0%.

Quote:
Or are we talking about something completely different?
I have NO idea what you're talking about. Check the chart I linked to again to see *which* income groups pay *what* effective federal income tax rate. There's a HUGE difference between the effective federal income tax rate different income groups pay. You seem to not understand what it shows. Why not? What are you failing to understand?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Wealthy people hogging all the wealth is a HUGE problem,...
Why?

Maybe if you ask nicely, they'll take you for a spin in their 1937 Packard Six or 1948 Monterosa.

Quote:
No one on the planet needs huge fancy Yachts, dozens of sports cars, huge mansions etc. etc.
Why?

I don't recall electing you to be the Arbiter of What People Are Allowed to Have.

You might want to be careful, because some might come to believe the planet doesn't need people like you.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Wealthy people hogging all the wealth is a HUGE problem, so what if say there was a limit, where they earned say 120K which is MORE than enough to live pretty comfortably, no one really needs anymore than that, and every cent they earned afterwards was taken and invested in schools, education, healthcare etc.? No one on the planet needs huge fancy Yachts, dozens of sports cars, huge mansions etc. etc. all the money greedy wealthy people waste on such garbage would be far better spent on helping poor people, helping sick people and the like.
People on the street who are struggling would think of you as wealthy with MORE than enough to live comfortably. How about we take 30% of your income and share it?

Old 04-26-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
They already do. Did you NOT read the link I posted?

Take a look at which income groups have a zero or negative effective federal income tax rate in the chart on page 10, and which groups pay the highest effective federal income tax rate. The bars you're looking for are light blue, Average Individual Income Tax Rate. The baseline is 0% and the light blue columns are graphed from a tax rate of below 0% to greater than 0%.

I have NO idea what you're talking about. Check the chart I linked to again to see *which* income groups pay *what* effective federal income tax rate. There's a HUGE difference between the effective federal income tax rate different income groups pay. You seem to not understand what it shows. Why not? What are you failing to understand?
I know they’re suppose to, but we often hear about how corporations or the super rich search for loop holes to prevent paying taxes. I want to read the whole link you sent to have a better understanding, but I’ll be working all this weekend, so I won’t be able to until Monday.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I know they’re suppose to, but we often hear about how corporations or the super rich search for loop holes to prevent paying taxes.
Corporations don't pay the corporate tax. Their customers/clients do as it's included in the pricing formula. End user/consumer always pays.

As far as the different income groups' vastly different effective federal income tax rates they pay (to which I linked)? That's the actual data. Those are the average effective federal income tax rates that those who are in those income groups DO pay. The IRS publishes analyses of 1040 data every year.
Quote:
I want to read the whole link you sent to have a better understanding, but I’ll be working all this weekend, so I won’t be able to until Monday.
Pore over the actual raw data, too. Latest published IRS US 1040 tax return data:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/16in01etr.xls and https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/16in02etr.xls

The Democrats CONSTANTLY lie to their voter base about which income groups pay what effective federal income tax rates because they count on their voter base being too under-informed to know any better, or just simply bad at math.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:25 PM

Anyone who wants to calculate the actual effective federal income tax rate they paid for 2018, here's how: On your 2018 US 1040...

Divide your Total Tax on line 15 by your Taxable Income on line 10.

They changed the 1040 for 2018, so that won't include refundable tax credits (those are phased out at higher income levels). If you've claimed refundable tax credits on your 1040, subtract the total of those from your Total Tax on line 15. That will reduce your effective federal income tax rate even further, with the net effect that about 40% of all US 1040 filers have a negative effective federal income tax rate (the Fed Gov PAYS them money instead of charging them any federal income tax at all). And 27% of all US 1040 filers claim such substantial refundable tax credits that they get fully reimbursed for all the federal payroll taxes they've paid and then some.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Corporations don't pay the corporate tax. Their customers/clients do as it's included in the pricing formula. End user/consumer always pays.

As far as the different income groups' vastly different effective federal income tax rates they pay (to which I linked)? That's the actual data. Those are the average effective federal income tax rates that those who are in those income groups DO pay. The IRS publishes analyses of 1040 data every year.
Pore over the actual raw data, too. Latest published IRS US 1040 tax return data:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/16in01etr.xls and https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/16in02etr.xls

The Democrats CONSTANTLY lie to their voter base about which income groups pay what effective federal income tax rates because they count on their voter base being too under-informed to know any better, or just simply bad at math.
I completely forgot about this post, sorry. Had a rough weekend at my job (psych nurse) and I have to work tonight and tomorrow night, so I’ll have to set a reminder for Friday afternoon on my phone so that I don’t forget again.

However, I will say one thing about your post, it isn’t only the politicians that make claims there are plenty of news outlets that write articles about the loop holes the rich can use, are you saying no one actually uses these loop holes or not enough corporations and rich engage in such activities and if so how would you know?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I completely forgot about this post, sorry. Had a rough weekend at my job (psych nurse) and I have to work tonight and tomorrow night, so I’ll have to set a reminder for Friday afternoon on my phone so that I don’t forget again.

However, I will say one thing about your post, it isn’t only the politicians that make claims there are plenty of news outlets that write articles about the loop holes the rich can use, are you saying no one actually uses these loop holes or not enough corporations and rich engage in such activities and if so how would you know?
If they used the supposed "loopholes," WHY are their effective federal income tax rates still significantly higher than that of the middle class? Those "loopholes" really don't exist to the point that the Dems and the MSM claim they do. There's been a lot of lying and manipulation going on in an attempt to gain, politically. DON'T fall for it.

For informational purposes, I'll list the average effective federal income tax rate paid by each income group as stated in the chart on page 10: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45145.pdf

Less than $10,000: -8%
$10,000-$20,000: -12%
$20,000-$30,000: -7%
$30,000-$40,000: -3%
$40,-$50,000: -1%
$50,000-$75,000: 2.5%
$75,000-$100,000: 4.5%
$100,000-$200,000: 7.5%
$200,000-$500,000: 13%
$500,000-$1 million: 22%
$1 million and over: 26%

How does one achieve a negative federal income tax rate? By claiming refundable tax credits, which are phased out at higher income levels.

Also, if anyone wishes to verify that data, analyze the IRS' own records. Latest published IRS US 1040 tax return data:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies