Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is smoke shaming a good idea?
Yes, a very good idea! 49 33.79%
Only in extreme cases, like say smoking in front of a bunch of children. 31 21.38%
No, never. 59 40.69%
other (please explain below. 6 4.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:42 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,019,208 times

Advertisements

I walk about two miles through a nearby downtown area almost every day. Almost every day I pass someone right on the sidewalk, puffing away at a cigarette. Today I saw a man oddly facing some bushes, standing in a huddled manner. I thought he might be urinating into the bushes, but no, he was doing something far worse: smoking a cigarette.

I'm familiar with the controversies over 'fat shaming,' and would never engage in something like that. But smoke-shaming to me is different. You're fouling the air that everyone else has to breath. It is actually illegal here to smoke within 25 feet of a building entrance, but people violate that all the time. I even see people walking along smoking, which means they are racking up one violation after another.

If I can catch their eye I will give them a dirty look, and maybe pretend to cough. If been thinking of ratcheting this up by saying things to them, but haven't come up with a good line yet. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,336,777 times
What is working when it comes to lowering tobacco use is education. We are doing that without prohibition or throwing people in jail for tobacco possession or use. It is working. Usage is slowly dropping over time.

But I don't consider shaming a valid component of education.

Using your methods, you'll have people smoking even more just to spite you and your attitude.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 PM

11,879 posts, read 5,858,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I walk about two miles through a nearby downtown area almost every day. Almost every day I pass someone right on the sidewalk, puffing away at a cigarette. Today I saw a man oddly facing some bushes, standing in a huddled manner. I thought he might be urinating into the bushes, but no, he was doing something far worse: smoking a cigarette.

I'm familiar with the controversies over 'fat shaming,' and would never engage in something like that. But smoke-shaming to me is different. You're fouling the air that everyone else has to breath. It is actually illegal here to smoke within 25 feet of a building entrance, but people violate that all the time. I even see people walking along smoking, which means they are racking up one violation after another.

If I can catch their eye I will give them a dirty look, and maybe pretend to cough. If been thinking of ratcheting this up by saying things to them, but haven't come up with a good line yet. What do you think?
Smoking may offend you - but your opinion concerning someone with a habit concerns me. Far worse? - maybe if he was raping someone or attacking someone - that's what I consider far worse. You're shaming right now.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,019,208 times
For one thing, being fat is not illegal. Smoking within 25 feet of an entrance is. The guy I saw today also threw his butt on the ground and crushed it out with his shoe. That's littering, also illegal. I don't see fat people going around littering the streets.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,287,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

I think you're liable to do this to the wrong person and wind up in the ER. If that's your aim go for it, you can claim a moral victory.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,159,568 times
I truly don't care if someone wants to treat their own lungs like a garbage dump, but I actually value mine. So damn right I'll throw the side eye to anyone smoking blatantly in the middle of a crowded sidewalk.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,638,478 times
I think it would be a good idea to shame the d-bags that throw their lit butts out of their car windows.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM

2,448 posts, read 897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I think you're liable to do this to the wrong person and wind up in the ER. If that's your aim go for it, you can claim a moral victory.

Good luck!
I think that's highly unlikely! Particularly given long-term crime trends! I haven't seen many assault cases rooted in dirty looks or fake coughs!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,411,306 times
Well, only one of the previous posters in this thread believes in property rights (Gungnir). The answer to the issue lies in believing in said rights so I doubt we get anywhere on this one.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:07 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,649,124 times
I absolutely hate smokers! I have asthma, and I actually want to breathe. Some people don’t understand how hard it is to deal with this on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies